No more hot breakfasts for Afgan troups [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No more hot breakfasts for Afgan troups

W420Hunter
01-31-2013, 13:37
I can not wait to see what the lib trolls come up witb to defend this.
http://www.washingtonguardian.com/not-so-hot-breakfast

Bren
01-31-2013, 14:21
This appears to be just a decision for the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat team - not all of the troops in Afghanistan. Coincidentally, they are from the 1st Infantry Division which, best I can tell, makes the least effort to feed its troops, even on permanent bases in the U.S., of any Army unit I have ever seen.

I expect to be back there soon, so I hope we still get hot meals wherever I go, but I did put on too much weight last time. I guess skipping the pancakes won't hurt me.

hooligan74
01-31-2013, 14:34
I can not wait to see what the lib trolls come up witb to defend this.
http://www.washingtonguardian.com/not-so-hot-breakfast

Why would "lib trolls" need to defend this? Do you know something about Col Wawro's political affiliations that I don't?

Sure it sucks, but there we plenty of times at Ft. Benning when we were in the field that we didn't get hot breakfasts.

WT
01-31-2013, 14:51
One of the first things that LtCol David H. Hackworth did when he took over the 4/39th in Vietnam was to cut out the hot chow. The battalion had a reputation of being a bunch of .......

The 9th Inf. Division commanding general said "It couldn't fight its way out of a retirement home."

Hackworth turned their reputation around. Make them soldiers and they will act like soldiers.

W420Hunter
01-31-2013, 15:26
Why would "lib trolls" need to defend this? Do you know something about Col Wawro's political affiliations that I don't?

Sure it sucks, but there we plenty of times at Ft. Benning when we were in the field that we didn't get hot breakfasts.

Well seeing as it is the left that is pushing for the faster pull out and the faster pull out is what caused it?

hooligan74
01-31-2013, 15:35
I didn't realize that the troop withdrawal from Afghanistan was a "left" initiative. I'm fiscally pretty conservative, and I'm all for pulling our troops out of A-stan...

Gundude
01-31-2013, 15:55
I didn't realize that the troop withdrawal from Afghanistan was a "left" initiative. I'm fiscally pretty conservative, and I'm all for pulling our troops out of A-stan...Well, since spending trillions of dollars and thousands of lives keeping troops deployed overseas indefinitely in endless wars with no defined objectives or exit strategies is a "right" thing, then doing the opposite must be a "left" thing? :dunno:

jtull7
01-31-2013, 16:54
Snopes says BS: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/breakfast.asp

Don't believe everything you hear or read.

oldgraywolf
01-31-2013, 18:25

If it's on the internet, it's gotta be true. Particularly so the conspiracy videos. How can you be almost as old as me and not know that? :rofl:

W420Hunter
01-31-2013, 19:28
I didn't realize that the troop withdrawal from Afghanistan was a "left" initiative. I'm fiscally pretty conservative, and I'm all for pulling our troops out of A-stan...

My issue is not that it is being done but the way. Its the normal half *****ed cut and run the left always pulls and with blatant disregard to our troups.

W420Hunter
01-31-2013, 19:31

Never said they where not being fed.

Cavalry Doc
01-31-2013, 19:53
Honestly, it all depends on the mess seargent and the CSM. In Kosovo, when Bondsteel was not much more than a tamped down wheat field, my BN had fresh biscuits and eggs to order every day, well, if you were on Bondsteel. The guys there were cooking it on an MKT trailer, had to wake up very early to get it up and running, and were among the best loved and respected cooks in any Unit I have ever been in.

I was out in sector, but on occasion, I got to be there for breakfast, and it was awesome. The cooks were well taken care of.

FLIPPER 348
01-31-2013, 22:51
Well seeing as it is the left that is pushing for the faster pull out and the faster pull out is what caused it?

no, hardly ....but its a good talking point to stir the pot

3 hot meals a day when fwd deployed is a luxury and having to have an MRE in place of one is commonplace and no big deal.

Gunnut 45/454
01-31-2013, 23:22
**** any meal you can get in the field is better then nothing!:faint:

Bren
02-01-2013, 05:02

Could be BS - I couldn't really figure out how we were cutting anything significant by not serving breakfast. At most, we get rid of 1/4-1/3 of food stores and a handful of KBR and Afghan contractors at each 4th IBCT fob.

Bren
02-01-2013, 05:04
Honestly, it all depends on the mess seargent and the CSM. In Kosovo, when Bondsteel was not much more than a tamped down wheat field, my BN had fresh biscuits and eggs to order every day, well, if you were on Bondsteel. The guys there were cooking it on an MKT trailer, had to wake up very early to get it up and running, and were among the best loved and respected cooks in any Unit I have ever been in.

I was out in sector, but on occasion, I got to be there for breakfast, and it was awesome. The cooks were well taken care of.

Soundds like the good old days when cooks were soldiers. The only Army cook I have met in 4-5 years now is a drill sergeant.

Rally Vincent
02-01-2013, 17:34
This appears to be just a decision for the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat team - not all of the troops in Afghanistan. Coincidentally, they are from the 1st Infantry Division which, best I can tell, makes the least effort to feed its troops, even on permanent bases in the U.S., of any Army unit I have ever seen.

I expect to be back there soon, so I hope we still get hot meals wherever I go, but I did put on too much weight last time. I guess skipping the pancakes won't hurt me.

1st ID efforts lacking? You ain't kidding.

Bren
02-02-2013, 06:23
1st ID efforts lacking? You ain't kidding.

Yep, I've eaten at Forts Knox, Bragg, Benning, Sill, Carson, Dix, and probably some more I'm forgetting, but Riley/1st ID was the worst by a long shot. Then they moved a brigade to Ft. Knox and their dfac was immediately the worst on Knox. It's like it's intentional.

hooligan74
02-02-2013, 06:35
My issue is not that it is being done but the way. Its the normal half *****ed cut and run the left always pulls and with blatant disregard to our troups.

Once again, the article you linked sure makes it sounds like the "how" of it was left to military leadership - Col Wawro, specifically. Unless you know how he votes......

:dunno:

Cavalry Doc
02-02-2013, 06:55
Soundds like the good old days when cooks were soldiers. The only Army cook I have met in 4-5 years now is a drill sergeant.

Oh, and that was a 1st ID unit. Things change. Commanders are only in command for a short time, then things change. The Division commander at that time was about the most realistic and level headed guy I'd ever met. He had his staff calculate how long it really takes to accomplish all of the yearly requirements for a company. They figured it would take 16 to 18 months. So all the commanders had his permission to let things drop off their plate and not get done, as long as they could justify their choice to him. He also did not let his staff go around the Brigade and BN 3-shops to stovepipe task subordinate unit assets. The rule was that if I got a tasking via email from the Division surgeon, I would forward it to my BN commander, and delete the original off my system and await further instructions.

I will say that I lived in the Kuwaiti desert for 5 months, they brought mermite (really big thermos) meals out to us, but after a few bouts with diarrhea that affected our combat effectiveness, we went to pure MRE's 3 x a day. You can live on them. You can also get creative. There are a lot more different entree's than the original 12.