Any truth about President Obama action to limit ammo production? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any truth about President Obama action to limit ammo production?

tnedator
01-31-2013, 17:08
An owner of an LGS said that one of the main reasons that the ammo supply is so tight this time, is that President Obama issued an executive order or took some other executive action that forced a limit on the production of ammo by US manufacturers.

I wasn't really paying attention, so someone else there was filling me in, so I don't know if he was saying this was only for .223/5.56 or all ammo. He said that part of this executive action was that the military got first cut at this limited production, and then only what was left was released to retail.

I have never heard this and it doesn't seem very credible to me, but I figured I would throw it out there and see if you guys knew what he might be talking about.

Atlas
01-31-2013, 18:09
I doubt it.

However, you can bet that they will soon attempt to slap a huge punitive tax on ammo at the retail level. Probably at the producer level also..

cowboy1964
01-31-2013, 21:22
Don't you think if this were true the NRA would be shouting it from the roof tops?

There were some threads yesterday where someone was claiming they had heard from an ammo maker that they are so backlogged that the military and LE are getting first dibs on everything. From what I've read LE is starting to have trouble getting ammo orders filled too, so...

tnedator
01-31-2013, 21:34
Don't you think if this were true the NRA would be shouting it from the roof tops?

Exactly what I said. I wasn't really paying attention, and after we left, my buddy asked me if I had heard anything about it. I said I doubted there was anything to it, because if there was, anytime there was a thread on GT or other gun forums about ammo shortages, that would be the topic.

Not to mention I don't see how he could possible enforce such an action via any kind of executive action.

Nemesis.
01-31-2013, 23:59
Oh for pete's sake. You people can't be that ignorant.

Research executive orders. Particularly Truman and the steel industry.

This place becomes more like Sesame Street every day.

tnedator
02-01-2013, 06:49
Oh for pete's sake. You people can't be that ignorant.

Research executive orders. Particularly Truman and the steel industry.

This place becomes more like Sesame Street every day.

I guess a two point response to your post.

First, I don't see the direct correlation here, since there was no discussion of the President seizing the ammo industry.

Second, do you have anything to add to the discussion, given your clearly vastly superior knowledge and "lack of ignorance" compared to the rest of us, or are you just a drive by troll?

Smoker
02-01-2013, 07:31
I'm sure you'll get some real FACTS soon on that one....

Cambo
02-01-2013, 08:00
The problem is you took the word of someone who works in a gun store. There are 3 reasons not to trust a LGS owner/worker:
1. Profit - more scare, more money for them
2. Fantasy - some of them just make stuff up
3. Ignorance - they don't know laws or how the political process works

tnedator
02-01-2013, 10:05
The problem is you took the word of someone who works in a gun store. There are 3 reasons not to trust a LGS owner/worker:
1. Profit - more scare, more money for them
2. Fantasy - some of them just make stuff up
3. Ignorance - they don't know laws or how the political process works

Actually, as you can see from my posts, I didn't take the word from someone at an LGS (hence my statement "doesn't seem very credible to me"). Kind of like taking the word of a random forum poster, lots of BS spewed.

Instead, since I told my buddy I had never heard of this and didn't think there was any truth to it, I figured I would post here to double check and see if anyone even knew where the rumor came from.

Captain Caveman
02-01-2013, 10:14
Civilians have always come last.

1. Military
2. Law Enforcement
3. Civilians

Just like with your paycheck. The government(s) get's their slice first, and you get what's left.

akroguy
02-01-2013, 11:03
Slim pickings for a while, but it will recover. Sit tight, don't burn up your backup supply of ammo (you DO have a supply, right?) and wait it out.

https://www.facebook.com/JEPFirearms/posts/597045073644600

GUNS: Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.
RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.
FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1.
Remington: Maxed out!
Armalite: Maxed out.
DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.
Colt: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's.
LWRC: Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.
Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand, but are running 30-45 days behind.

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation-wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ 1 BILLION rnds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.
MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags; do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon.
RELOADERS. ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes....it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up.

Rabid Rabbit
02-01-2013, 12:34
An owner of an LGS said that one of the main reasons that the ammo supply is so tight this time, is that President Obama issued an executive order or took some other executive action that forced a limit on the production of ammo by US manufacturers.

I wasn't really paying attention, so someone else there was filling me in, so I don't know if he was saying this was only for .223/5.56 or all ammo. He said that part of this executive action was that the military got first cut at this limited production, and then only what was left was released to retail.

I have never heard this and it doesn't seem very credible to me, but I figured I would throw it out there and see if you guys knew what he might be talking about.

That would only apply to items purchased by DOD and has a DPAS (defense procurement acquisition policy code. In short if DOD determines they needs the stuff they get priority over all of your other customers for the same item.

writwing
02-01-2013, 22:34
Civilians have always come last.

1. Military
2. Law Enforcement
3. Civilians

Just like with your paycheck. The government(s) get's their slice first, and you get what's left.

Law Enforcement are Civilians.

concretefuzzynuts
02-01-2013, 22:40
Answer: NO.

The emperor has not issued that decree.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/52459

stevelyn
02-02-2013, 02:52
Answer: NO.

The emperor has not issued that decree.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/52459

The emperor has absolute zero authority to issue such a decree to a legal and licensed private industry.