SHTF Carry options [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SHTF Carry options

cotton617
02-01-2013, 09:56
Situation is SHTF, you are armed with an AR15 and wearing a chest rig. Looking for best method to carry my G19. OWB such as Phantom? Drop leg? My chest rig really would not conflict with a draw from the hip, but what is superior in comfort, retention, etc? OWB vs. Drop leg?

SCmasterblaster
02-01-2013, 10:35
I'd carry it OWB strong side.

xmanhockey7
02-01-2013, 10:47
Nutnfancy says chest mounted pistol is the best for him. Your milage may vary. If it was me I'd probably do the same.

Cwlongshot
02-01-2013, 11:18
Agreed what "best" for one may be worst for another.

Personally I like a chest carry. I am lookin g at a custom rig made in Alaska.

Here is our friend Jeff wearing it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/Glockhuntingrig.jpg

CW

dosei
02-01-2013, 12:31
Drop-leg holsters are NOT a comfortable option...EVER. If you have a chest rig, then just mount it to your rig.

expatman
02-01-2013, 12:58
Working n Iraq as a civlian we are armed just as you described.

I will normally wear a plate carrier with one layer of mag pouches and a IFAK, an M4 style weapon, and a G17 on my hip OWB Blade-tech with mags on the other side. Over all this I wear a cover shirt such as a North Face or Columbia brand camp style shirt. Everything conceals "OK" to a casual observer but we all look like a bunch of fat guys. We would look much slimmer without the plate carrier and just a chest rig.

PaulMason
02-01-2013, 13:36
Situation is SHTF, you are armed with an AR15 and wearing a chest rig. Looking for best method to carry my G19. OWB such as Phantom? Drop leg? My chest rig really would not conflict with a draw from the hip, but what is superior in comfort, retention, etc? OWB vs. Drop leg?

That sound more for TEOTWAWKI and working with friends to secure your position.

What SHTF situation/event would you go outside like that?

For SHTF - I can see dressing like that for something like the LA riots and you are protecting your store or home. But, that is a limited situation.

What are you thinking about.

Spiffums
02-01-2013, 17:30
http://www.warriortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16725&d=1312741127

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?89026-AIWB-holster-adaptation-to-PALS-MOLLE-platforms

Darkangel1846
02-02-2013, 12:28
Well for a tactical situation I do like those vest with the handgun right on the left side of the front of the vest....JMHO

bennie1986
02-02-2013, 13:00
I carry in a drop leg all the time. If i know im going to be carrying for a long period of time i will not carry in my drop leg. It starts to hurt my waist because of my belt. Now if it was supported buy your vest then thats a different story.

Bruce M
02-02-2013, 17:09

What SHTF situation/event would you go outside like that?

Great question that begs an answer.

Maine1
02-02-2013, 17:16
Whatever you use for EDC. I dopubt we wll all get time to chnage into our "SHTF" wardrobe.

EDC= SHTF gear.

IWB for me.

ScottieG59
02-02-2013, 22:20
I expect if things got very bad in the real world, I would want to display the ability to apply force. It would not be a time to conceal unless law enforcement gets stupid like they did after Katrina in Louisiana (and maybe some other places).

As an individual with weapons, I would not be very powerful in a time of social breakdown such as when the drug gangs rampaged after the Rodney King case. What was seen was that Korean business people with AR-15s and AK-47 variants displayed the ability to defend their places. Those with these weapons were spared the looting, killings and arson that hit many others.

I expect the most important thing would be to join neighbors and establish a perimeter. For many, it might not be easy to understand how to handle this. Luckily, many in my area are or have been career military people.

In reality, the most likely scenario here in the rural areas outside Kansas City, Kansas is securing homes after tornadoes. Sadly, people in the area have had a lot of experience with this.

In other areas, race riots are a possibility. I was in Little Haiti when there was a riot the turned to looting and robbing after a man of Haitian heritage was shot and killed by a police officer of Cuban heritage. Fortunately, I was able to see the riot unfolding and I knew it would turn against hispanics and whites. It started like a street party and after I was away, it turned into looting, breaking into homes and robbing people in the streets.

An earlier Little Haiti civil breakdown included some shooting at while drivers driving on a local highway. Scenarios like those are tough to predict and deal with effectively.

When society breaks down, we may not be so lucky to find ourselves in a defendable location. You might be driving on the highway and have no idea what is unfolding.

So, it is not going to be easy to have your tactical gear on and have your people ready for the fight.

bennie1986
02-02-2013, 22:26
I expect if things got very bad in the real world, I would want to display the ability to apply force. It would not be a time to conceal unless law enforcement gets stupid like they did after Katrina in Louisiana (and maybe some other places).

As an individual with weapons, I would not be very powerful in a time of social breakdown such as when the drug gangs rampaged after the Rodney King case. What was seen was that Korean business people with AR-15s and AK-47 variants displayed the ability to defend their places. Those with these weapons were spared the looting, killings and arson that hit many others.

I expect the most important thing would be to join neighbors and establish a perimeter. For many, it might not be easy to understand how to handle this. Luckily, many in my area are or have been career military people.

In reality, the most likely scenario here in the rural areas outside Kansas City, Kansas is securing homes after tornadoes. Sadly, people in the area have had a lot of experience with this.

In other areas, race riots are a possibility. I was in Little Haiti when there was a riot the turned to looting and robbing after a man of Haitian heritage was shot and killed by a police officer of Cuban heritage. Fortunately, I was able to see the riot unfolding and I knew it would turn against hispanics and whites. It started like a street party and after I was away, it turned into looting, breaking into homes and robbing people in the streets.

An earlier Little Haiti civil breakdown included some shooting at while drivers driving on a local highway. Scenarios like those are tough to predict and deal with effectively.

When society breaks down, we may not be so lucky to find ourselves in a defendable location. You might be driving on the highway and have no idea what is unfolding.

So, it is not going to be easy to have your tactical gear on and have your people ready for the fight.

Wouldnt it be better to blend in so you dont draw attention to yourself? It doesnt seem necessary to display your ability to use force until you need to use it. Idk just a thought.

PaulMason
02-03-2013, 07:24
Good post. It would be nice if the OP posted what he was prepping for.

It depends upon the SHTF - if it is a slow economic decline like Argintina - you won't be walking around with a rifle. Also, if there is still a police presence, and you are carrying a rifle you are putting yourself in the spotlight. The SHTF situation will determine what and how you carry.

As an individual with weapons, I would not be very powerful in a time of social breakdown such as when the drug gangs rampaged after the Rodney King case.

Very true - in that situation you would need to be thinking about after the event. If you shoot someone you need to expect and investigation and that you can prove it was a good shoot.

What was seen was that Korean business people with AR-15s and AK-47 variants displayed the ability to defend their places. Those with these weapons were spared the looting, killings and arson that hit many others.

And while they shot, they didn't kill a lot of people and I don't know of any prosecuted.

+1

+1

One thing people don't talk enough about is pepper and bear spray. I try always to carry pepper spray. And I carry a gun.

Things usually don't go imediately to the 'S' part. The gray man concept works here to get you home.

Dexters
02-03-2013, 07:59
great question that begs an answer.

+1....

Spiffums
02-03-2013, 08:57
Lot more serious answers here than this thread has at M4C.

I will add it won't matter, someone will see you and your gear and snipe you and then it will be their gear.

xmanhockey7
02-03-2013, 09:04
Wouldnt it be better to blend in so you dont draw attention to yourself? It doesnt seem necessary to display your ability to use force until you need to use it. Idk just a thought.

Personal preference on what would be better. Kind of the CC vs. OC argument. If it was a SHTF situation I'd rather have my AR than Glock though.

bennie1986
02-03-2013, 09:47
Personal preference on what would be better. Kind of the CC vs. OC argument. If it was a SHTF situation I'd rather have my AR than Glock though.

True and it would really depend on the the situation i suppose.