Takeaway from job report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Takeaway from job report

jeanderson
02-01-2013, 10:27
Another bad jobs report today. Forget about the unemployment rate for a minute and just focus on this:

In one year, population rose 2.4 million while the total not in the labor force rose 1.1 million.

Bottom line: There are more takers and fewer makers. Coupled with the report last week that that economy is shrinking and you've got yourself a recession on its way. Look for the deficit to increase.

akroguy
02-01-2013, 10:33
Hope and change, and plenty of shovel ready jobs folks.

If you voted for the poverty pimp and his band of merry Marxists, this is on YOUR SHOULDERS.

Payback gonna be a b i t c h.

pugman
02-01-2013, 12:05
and you've got yourself a recession on its way. Look for the deficit to increase.

I don't disagree with you but the recession never left.

About the only places going full bore are guns manufacturers and ammunition producers.

Case in Point: Real Estate. We upgraded our house at the worst possible time. My development is small but there are some nice homes. Last sales:

Purchased at $288...sold $215
Built and offered at $350....sold $240

The last one last July. Offered at $399, bought at $374 in 2005. They put $100K into the basement. Two lost jobs (both worked for Fidelity)...sold July 2012 at $368. Who bought it? Two brothers (one of which lost his house) and both families moved in.

I know a few realtors who tell me home sale prices are up...yeah, up from vastly decreased values.

Add the fact Obama extended unemployment to 99 weeks...then extended it again; think where we would be if not for the fed pulling trillions into the economy.

certifiedfunds
02-01-2013, 15:12
The market disagrees strongly at the moment. wow

cowboy1964
02-01-2013, 15:35
People misuse the word "recession" too much. It does have a precise definition (two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth).

I suspect the market may be in for a big fall later this year. Anyone remember 1987?

http://www.sniper.at/crash-87/stock-market-crash-1987.GIF

akroguy
02-01-2013, 15:46
Artificially inflated markets, built upon the diminishing strength of the dollar? How long can this last? Something wicked this way comes.

Apparently, my paradigm of strong economy=strong markets is completely in need of review.

aircarver
02-01-2013, 15:52

Been good for me, but I think it's a fool's paradise.

We are still riding for a hard fall ... :alex:

pugman
02-01-2013, 16:29
Been good for me, but I think it's a fool's paradise.

We are still riding for a hard fall ... :alex:

I agree.

Time to start looking hard at defensive plays.

series1811
02-02-2013, 06:54

The market will rise on expected profits in the second quarter, while honestly believing the sun will hit the earth in the third quarter.

aircarver
02-02-2013, 07:21
The market will rise on expected profits in the second quarter, while honestly believing the sun will hit the earth in the third quarter.

:rofl:

Sadly, I think this is a pretty good assessment ...

:alex:

Cavalry Doc
02-02-2013, 08:31
People misuse the word "recession" too much. It does have a precise definition (two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth).

I suspect the market may be in for a big fall later this year. Anyone remember 1987?

What goes up, must come down. It's all gambling, and timing. I'm counting on a crash, and I'll move securities into stocks when I think it's hit bottom. In October, my yearly 12 month personal investment performance index was over 25%. Buy low, sell high, buy low, sell high. Don't make a lot of quick moves or wild swings. I'm not a financial guru at all, but I do have a friend who sends me a message once in a while telling me what he is doing. He's not a pro, but he is a financial enthusiast.

If it all goes poof, oh well.

DOC44
02-02-2013, 09:06
What goes up, must come down. It's all gambling, and timing. I'm counting on a crash, and I'll move securities into stocks when I think it's hit bottom. In October, my yearly 12 month personal investment performance index was over 25%. Buy low, sell high, buy low, sell high. Don't make a lot of quick moves or wild swings. I'm not a financial guru at all, but I do have a friend who sends me a message once in a while telling me what he is doing. He's not a pro, but he is a financial enthusiast.

If it all goes poof, oh well.

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/collectors-edition-slinky-3.jpg

What ... gooose up... muuuust come down....

Doc44

certifiedfunds
02-02-2013, 09:54

I hope so

GAFinch
02-02-2013, 10:53
0% interest rates force investors, even banks, to invest in the stock market instead of in something safer, creating a bubble that's stabilized by computer algorithms automatically correcting any blips. A giant game of musical chairs, except there will be a whole lot of people and not many chairs when the music stops.

certifiedfunds
02-02-2013, 11:02
0% interest rates force investors, even banks, to invest in the stock market instead of in something safer, creating a bubble that's stabilized by computer algorithms automatically correcting any blips. A giant game of musical chairs, except there will be a whole lot of people and not many chairs when the music stops.

So then the question becomes "what are you doing to take advantage of it to profit and protect yourself?"

Cavalry Doc
02-02-2013, 11:33
I hope so

Supply, demand, and above all else..... Sentiment drives the market. It's not doing this well based on sound financial fundamentals.

certifiedfunds
02-02-2013, 11:38
Supply, demand, and above all else..... Sentiment drives the market. It's not doing this well based on sound financial fundamentals.

That you bob prechter?