Why aren't Sigs more popular? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't Sigs more popular?

GlennS
02-01-2013, 16:27
Here in North Alabama Sig pistols aren't looked on very highly. They are top of the line guns, easy to work on, easy to fire. The only drawback I have is the shape of the grips, hard to get a really high hold with the thumbs high like on a 1911. I have the P220, P225, P226, P228 and P229. For the 40 S&W's I have 357 Sig barrels. I consider the Sigs to be the best guns I have. Why have they not caught on any better then they have?

9mm +p+
02-01-2013, 20:25
Ummmm, they are despite the fact that most are just in total lust over glocks. Serious folks run HK's and SIG's, don't get me wrong I've had glocks and never had an issue one but I prefer HK's and SIG's over glocks. Price probably has something to do with it as well, SIG's are not cheap, most people feel $600 on a gun that always works is smarter than $900 on a gun that always works. I prefer the feel of SIG and HK for that matter, I also like the quality of both of them over and above any glock that I've had or shot.

pineappleshooter
02-01-2013, 20:30
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:wow:

ditto1958
02-01-2013, 21:00
Yep, they're kinda pricey. Really nice, though.

DonGlock26
02-02-2013, 07:34
They've had QC issues over the last few years, the long DA trigger isn't really popular with people who started out with Glock's 5lbs trigger, the blued finish could rust, they are heavier and bulkier than a Glock, and they need more TLC.

Even many Sig fans will CCW a Glock.

soflasmg
02-02-2013, 07:54
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

2-8 Marine
02-02-2013, 08:44

I love Sigs and own four but this would be my answer for sure. :supergrin:

SevenSixtyTwo
02-02-2013, 09:56
We own two Sigs. They're pricey no doubt but high quality in my opinion. Love the looks. The only turn off for me is every time I say or hear sig, I can't help but think of some drunk divorcee bar-fly at the local piano bar asking for a cigarette. From there it just goes sour.

LuvDog
02-02-2013, 10:05
Ditto the $$$$$$ aspect.

Brian Lee
02-02-2013, 14:12
Price. Simple as that. And the strategy of giving special deals to police departments making bulk purchases. Town governments are not going to let police departments spend taxpayer bucks on anything that's a penny more expensive than it absolutely has to be, so they buy the cheapest thing that seems fairly decent. This has the effect of creating the false impression among civilians that Glocks must be the best gun available - or else cops wouldn't want them, right?

A similar thing happened in CAD software years ago. AutoDesk was almost giving away their software for free to all the schools, creating the false impression among students that "industry must consider this the best CAD system software or it wouldn't be so widely used in schools" - but there was never any truth to it. Once you are out of school, you find that industry would rather use almost anything but crappy AutoCAD. I almost never get AutoCAD files from anyone because nobody uses it for serious mechanical engineering, but an entire generation was incorrectly taught in school that it was widely considered the best. Aside from in architecture, which is about the simplest possible use of CAD, it's actually considered to be the worst by almost everyone who's ever used anything else.

Public opinion gets steered in stupid directions for stupid reasons all the time.

I like Sig's and HK's and would dump my G20 in a second if either of them made a 10MM because I'm willing to pay more for a better gun.

dpadams6
02-02-2013, 14:34
Ummmm, they are despite the fact that most are just in total lust over glocks. Serious folks run HK's and SIG's, don't get me wrong I've had glocks and never had an issue one but I prefer HK's and SIG's over glocks. Price probably has something to do with it as well, SIG's are not cheap, most people feel $600 on a gun that always works is smarter than $900 on a gun that always works. I prefer the feel of SIG and HK for that matter, I also like the quality of both of them over and above any glock that I've had or shot.
Well said. Totally agree.

countrygun
02-02-2013, 14:35
Price. Simple as that. And the strategy of giving special deals to police departments making bulk purchases. Town governments are not going to let police departments spend taxpayer bucks on anything that's a penny more expensive than it absolutely has to be, so they buy the cheapest thing that seems fairly decent. This has the effect of creating the false impression among civilians that Glocks must be the best gun available - or else cops wouldn't want them, right?

A similar thing happened in CAD software years ago. AutoDesk was almost giving away their software for free to all the schools, creating the false impression among students that "industry must consider this the best CAD system software or it wouldn't be so widely used in schools" - but there was never any truth to it. Once you are out of school, you find that industry would rather use almost anything but crappy AutoCAD. I almost never get AutoCAD files from anyone because nobody uses it for serious mechanical engineering, but an entire generation was incorrectly taught in school that it was widely considered the best. Aside from in architecture, which is about the simplest possible use of CAD, it's actually considered to be the worst by almost everyone who's ever used anything else.

Public opinion gets steered in stupid directions for stupid reasons all the time.

I like Sig's and HK's and would dump my G20 in a second if either of them made a 10MM because I'm willing to pay more for a better gun.

^^^^^

This and Sig USA going with all kinds of "Special" models to get people to overpay even more for what the get.

The sad part is that the Sigpro line is a fantastic value. I got rid of a much drooled after 228 because the 2022 was a better concept all round and more accurate in my hands.

A funny example in hindsight is S&W and their "traditional" SA/DA autos. When sales slipped because of rising prices they came out with a "Value" line, it didn't save the designs (which in application aren't all that different from Sigs, they even copied the Sig hammer dropper on some models) but those value line guns sure are popular on the used market.

Other than the Sigpro they seem to want to make more expensive models to get fewer people to pay more for bling, rather than going for a larger base market.

dpadams6
02-02-2013, 14:36
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

Ive never had any of mine rust. And the whole "high bore axis" does not mean much. I shoot 357sig and my high axis sig 226/229 shoots much softer than my glock 31/32/33.

TSAX
02-02-2013, 14:56
Different guns are more popular in different areas for different reasons. Im would think Sigs are more popular in Exeter, NH. If you follow the Feinstein way of thinking everyone in the hood owns a Glock. I used to live in a city where the local PD carried the Sig P226 and at a few guns shows I worked I heard people constantly talking about how they want this gun because this PD carried them. I lived in another an area where the range north of me 15 miles had mainly 1911 shooters (local PD carried 1911) and 10 miles south of me mainly had Glock shooters.

Now I do get that Sigs have turned some people off with their QC issues, some of their "exotic" designs and the version 1 of the P250 and pricing. Just look or search the Sig forum, they complain about these issues and more. I happen to love Sigs especially the P228 and a few others.

And as one guy mentioned earlier even Sigs fans carry Glocks, is true I would add M&P to that. When I managed a shop/range people came in with their Sig X5, 229, 1911 but their CCW or HD gun was a Glock of M&P, not everyone but a lot. I would be interested to see how the P224 does in becoming a primary carry option vs the other carry options.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P224-SAS-Hero-Detail.jpg

:50cal:

mgentry
02-03-2013, 12:49
I think the dollars for a Sig turn most people off! Sig makes extremely fine pistols and rifles. I have a Colt 1911 to say I have one but I shoot Sigs and Glocks. For what I purchased them for, the Sig and Glock are my weapons of choice. You can say what you want, but these are the one I like, I trust, and they are the ones I take to the range. And when it is time to carry, you can rest assured that one of them is with me. Amen!

fran m
02-03-2013, 20:30
I think that they are quality arms. I do not like their models with the decocker. I have carried a Glock since 1990 or 1991. I have trained on them for years. I wouldn't mind owning a P220 SAO.

I think their is more craftsmanship in a SIG than a Glock. I did have a Sigpro that I sold. This gun was a 9mm DAO with a manual safety. I would say that this gun could give Glock a run for it's money. They are a bit bulky and never had a great popularity as a police arm.

For me, it is the decocker as the number one reason. Price would be second.

maxmanta
02-04-2013, 16:06
I'll take a plastic frame over an aluminum one. My preference is an old school HK steel frame.

ca survivor
02-05-2013, 07:50
Sigs are popular in my house.

AtlantaR6
02-05-2013, 07:58
I don't like thumb safeties on my ccw.

OhioGlock90
02-05-2013, 16:58
The only reason I dot have one and probably will not have one for awhile is because they are so EXPENSIVE! Other than that I like them

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

bac1023
02-06-2013, 20:32
I think Sigs are one of the most popular pistol brands on Earth. :dunno:

countrygun
02-06-2013, 21:27
I don't like thumb safeties on my ccw.

How many Sigs have a "thumb safety"? Besides the little colt pony clones of course.

Boot Stomper
02-07-2013, 06:43
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

You could add the blue finish are poor. The one I carry has most of the bluing is gone around all the holster contact points. The sights will rust on you. With that said the gun is very reliable and accurate. The DA pull is bad, but they have three trigger options, DA/SA, DAK and DOA. For those who are not familiar with DAK. It is a light DAO with an earlier reset.

Sig Sauer DAK trigger: exactly how it works + pros & cons - YouTube

silversport
02-07-2013, 06:45
I think Sigs are one of the most popular pistol brands on Earth. :dunno:

they are...and as much as we lament all the versions of the tried and true P series (along with all the others), they still sell many times more pistols than they did when they just imported them from (W) Germany...

I really think price is what grabs most today first...of course reliability trumps price but not always at first...

...s'funny but a young coworker wanted to buy my P230 the other day but after talking about it for a bit and looking online, when he saw it in the flesh he was surprised by the hammer, decocker, European style magazine release as well as its size (I had told him it was sized like a 9mm pistol)

two other coworkers thought the same...I said you young guys only seem to know GLOCK/Springfield XD type pistols...:tongueout:

I had the same reaction by most when they saw my Browning Hi Power..."what kind of 1911 is that???"...:supergrin:

Bill

MIWildcat
02-08-2013, 10:25
They are popular up here. Many people I know that cow Glocks do so in case the gun is confiscated, they don't lose the gun the really love.

I know some of the hate comes from the DA pull but that's usually from the lazy ones that do not want to train DA.

Bren
02-08-2013, 10:38
Here in North Alabama Sig pistols aren't looked on very highly. They are top of the line guns, easy to work on, easy to fire. The only drawback I have is the shape of the grips, hard to get a really high hold with the thumbs high like on a 1911. I have the P220, P225, P226, P228 and P229. For the 40 S&W's I have 357 Sig barrels. I consider the Sigs to be the best guns I have. Why have they not caught on any better then they have?

IMO, they are fairly expensive guns that aren't the best for anything. They have the DA/SA triggers that make them slower and require 2 different trigger techniques to shoot the first 2 shots well, they position the borer axis higher above the hand than just about anything but a Hi-Point.

Why pay more for a Sig, when all the guns that are fast, accurate and reliable enough to regularly win national competitions cost less (M&P, Glock, XD, CZ, etc.)?

AtlantaR6
02-08-2013, 11:22
How many Sigs have a "thumb safety"? Besides the little colt pony clones of course.

Ambi safety is what I meant

Rick O'Shay
02-08-2013, 17:46
Pricey, for sure, but they're also a bit bulkier than their competition.
I have a 220 in .45ACP, and it goes to the range frequently. But I have no other use for it. Not a carry weapon, and I prefer the M&P pistols for home protection.
I enjoy shooting the 220 as much as any of my .45's though.

MIWildcat
02-08-2013, 22:02
IMO, they are fairly expensive guns that aren't the best for anything. They have the DA/SA triggers that make them slower and require 2 different trigger techniques to shoot the first 2 shots well, they position the borer axis higher above the hand than just about anything but a Hi-Point.

Why pay more for a Sig, when all the guns that are fast, accurate and reliable enough to regularly win national competitions cost less (M&P, Glock, XD, CZ, etc.)?

Yes because the ability to win "national competitions" is the most important factor in choosing a gun. :faint:

silversport
02-09-2013, 06:22
and it has been done with a SiG...(Ernest Langdon P220)

Bill

silversport
02-09-2013, 06:23

which SiGs are you talking about???

Bill

Bren
02-09-2013, 06:51
Yes because the ability to win "national competitions" is the most important factor in choosing a gun. :faint:

I take it you've never shot in competition.:upeyes:

You win national competitions by having a gun with good accuracy that you can shoot faster than everybody else, while still hitting the target and which is reliable enough to never fail during a match that involves hundreds of rounds.

If you think that isn't a good way to choose/test your gun for self-defense, you're doing it wrong.

MIWildcat
02-09-2013, 08:07
I take it you've never shot in competition.:upeyes:

You win national competitions by having a gun with good accuracy that you can shoot faster than everybody else, while still hitting the target and which is reliable enough to never fail during a match that involves hundreds of rounds.

If you think that isn't a good way to choose/test your gun for self-defense, you're doing it wrong.

And what kind of competition are we speaking of? Race guns, your serious fast ones, are often highly modified from stock. To boot, there is also a nice bias towards 1911's as well because they are so easily modified. SIG does make some nice SAO race guns as well.

Now, back to the SIG. They've been duty pistols and are used by special forces because they can shoot continuously without fail.

Neither my Glock or my SIG have ever failed in any way. No FTE, FTF, etc. between a stock Glock trigger and a stock SIG trigger, SIG wins hands down.

AtlantaR6
02-09-2013, 08:43
which SiGs are you talking about???

Bill

938 and 238 are the ones I fancy.

TheJ
02-09-2013, 09:16
1) I think Sigs are perfectly fine pistols.
2) The OPs question practically begs a subjective answer.
3) Sigs likely aren't as popular as many striker fired pistols because striker fired pistols are generally easier to shoot well and/or learn to shoot with. That doesn't make non sig folks or new shooters "lazy" it makes them practical. There is a difference. If you shoot a bad guy with a Glock 19 versus a Sig P229 there is not a heck of a lot of difference as far as the bad guy is concerned.

Characteristics of good striker fired pistols like Glock that make them appealing:
* Many local LE use them (right or wrong people tend to want what they see local LE use)
* Lower bore axis. Practically speaking hammer fired pistols will always have a higher bore axis than striker fired pistols. That's just physics. The lower bore axis is going to mean less muzzle flip and easier recoil management. That means more comfort, less flinching, more likely to be accurate for new shooters. More accuracy and comfort to shoot means more fun and more likely to not be discouraged. It also tends to mean lower times in competition.
* Consistent trigger pull on striker fired pistols mean they are easier to learn to shoot well especially in timed competition. Many new folks start out in something like IDPA with there fancy new DA/SA Sig, they suck and want to improve. So they look around see lots of folks better then them with striker fired pistols and realize life would be easier if they don't first have to overcome the inconsistent trigger (and the higher bore axis) and decide to give Glock a try.
* Price is an obvious reason as well. Others have discussed this already.
* Competitors like HK take market share. In similar price points.
* The grips are a little big for some folks. Length of pull being long in DA combined with the large grips (even the "E" models) mean for folks with small hands Sigs tend to be tougher to be as fast as with many striker fired pistols while maintaining good consistent trigger control.

Yes pretty much any/all of the differences between the Sig and Striker fired pistols can be overcome with enough training (more for some than others) but I'm sure many folks simply make the decision to pay less for a firearm that is basically just as reliable and that is actually easier to shoot well (and learn to shoot well) for practical reasons.

All that said, I'm a fan of Sigs.

MIWildcat
02-09-2013, 10:53
1) I think Sigs are perfectly fine pistols.
2) The OPs question practically begs a subjective answer.
3) Sigs likely aren't as popular as many striker fired pistols because striker fired pistols are generally easier to shoot well and/or learn to shoot with. That doesn't make non sig folks or new shooters "lazy" it makes them practical. There is a difference. If you shoot a bad guy with a Glock 19 versus a Sig P229 there is not a heck of a lot of difference as far as the bad guy is concerned.

Characteristics of good striker fired pistols like Glock that make them appealing:
* Many local LE use them (right or wrong people tend to want what they see local LE use)
* Lower bore axis. Practically speaking hammer fired pistols will always have a higher bore axis than striker fired pistols. That's just physics. The lower bore axis is going to mean less muzzle flip and easier recoil management. That means more comfort, less flinching, more likely to be accurate for new shooters. More accuracy and comfort to shoot means more fun and more likely to not be discouraged. It also tends to mean lower times in competition.
* Consistent trigger pull on striker fired pistols mean they are easier to learn to shoot well especially in timed competition. Many new folks start out in something like IDPA with there fancy new DA/SA Sig, they suck and want to improve. So they look around see lots of folks better then them with striker fired pistols and realize life would be easier if they don't first have to overcome the inconsistent trigger (and the higher bore axis) and decide to give Glock a try.
* Price is an obvious reason as well. Others have discussed this already.
* Competitors like HK take market share. In similar price points.
* The grips are a little big for some folks. Length of pull being long in DA combined with the large grips (even the "E" models) mean for folks with small hands Sigs tend to be tougher to be as fast as with many striker fired pistols while maintaining good consistent trigger control.

Yes pretty much any/all of the differences between the Sig and Striker fired pistols can be overcome with enough training (more for some than others) but I'm sure many folks simply make the decision to pay less for a firearm that is basically just as reliable and that is actually easier to shoot well (and learn to shoot well) for practical reasons.

All that said, I'm a fan of Sigs.

I certain this is all subjective in comparison and we are on a Glock forum, so it should skew Glock.

Glocks are a lower price point than most SIG's (except the 2022's, which are within range), which makes them a bit more accessible to new shooters. Striker vs. Hammer is always up for debate and preference plays in here.

When I compare the G17/G19 to the P226/P229, the SIG's tend to have less muzzle flip due to the extra weight they carry, especially when I compare new shooters with both of these types of guns. I think that puts the high bore axis debate out the window. High bore has almost no net affect on the ability to shoot the SIG compared to the Glock.

Besides the striker vs. hammer, I think the biggest issue is the triggers and the pulls. Standard triggers on Glocks are usually god awful, as they are with many of the HK's. Once you get over DA by training DA, it isn't that big of a difference to learn to shoot it every effectively.

However, many shooters don't put many rounds down the range in a year and if they choose to not train, I'd suggest something other than a DA/SA. Go DAO or SAO and live with it. However, if I have to choose a go to war gun, it's the SIG. Very accurate, dependable, and proven.

Lastly, I'll just put this one out here...while I love both my SIG and Glock, I think the Walther PPQ is a better gun than the Glock, hands down. The trigger is perfect and it has taken the polymer game to another level.

JuneyBooney
02-10-2013, 03:49

I think you are right on the money. It is cost of the firearm. You don't see lots of 1911 Colts, Baer etc because of cost but you see lots of off brand 1911s. Then Glocks are cheap and that is the reason of their popularity. Cops don't have Glocks because they are superior...theu have them because of cost. I have three Sigs and find them to be reliable and very accurate like the Hks I have too. You figure about 500 for a Glock vs eight to nine hundred for a HK or Sig.

silversport
02-10-2013, 06:35
938 and 238 are the ones I fancy.

got it...you fancy them but don't like the thumb safeties...have you tried any of the original type P Series pistols???...you might like them...

Bill

AtlantaR6
02-10-2013, 07:02
got it...you fancy them but don't like the thumb safeties...have you tried any of the original type P Series pistols???...you might like them...

Bill

I haven't, to be honest after seeing those I assumed all sig pistols had them. Just checked out the web Page, looks like I chose the only 2 that DO have them!

:embarrassed

dpadams6
02-10-2013, 08:59
I certain this is all subjective in comparison and we are on a Glock forum, so it should skew Glock.

Glocks are a lower price point than most SIG's (except the 2022's, which are within range), which makes them a bit more accessible to new shooters. Striker vs. Hammer is always up for debate and preference plays in here.

When I compare the G17/G19 to the P226/P229, the SIG's tend to have less muzzle flip due to the extra weight they carry, especially when I compare new shooters with both of these types of guns. I think that puts the high bore axis debate out the window. High bore has almost no net affect on the ability to shoot the SIG compared to the Glock.

Besides the striker vs. hammer, I think the biggest issue is the triggers and the pulls. Standard triggers on Glocks are usually god awful, as they are with many of the HK's. Once you get over DA by training DA, it isn't that big of a difference to learn to shoot it every effectively.

However, many shooters don't put many rounds down the range in a year and if they choose to not train, I'd suggest something other than a DA/SA. Go DAO or SAO and live with it. However, if I have to choose a go to war gun, it's the SIG. Very accurate, dependable, and proven.

Lastly, I'll just put this one out here...while I love both my SIG and Glock, I think the Walther PPQ is a better gun than the Glock, hands down. The trigger is perfect and it has taken the polymer game to another level.
Yep. Many always talk about the "low bore axis" making the striker fired guns softer to shoot.
I have compared the glock 31 to a 226/229 357sig. The difference, to me, is very obvious that the sigs are softer shooters due to the extra weight.

MIWildcat
02-10-2013, 18:05
Agree on the softer shooting. Also, I'd point out the E2 grips are better for those with smaller hands.

silversport
02-11-2013, 05:28
I haven't, to be honest after seeing those I assumed all sig pistols had them. Just checked out the web Page, looks like I chose the only 2 that DO have them!

:embarrassed

...don't feel embarrassed...but you may be trying some new pistols now...:wavey:

Bill

Bren
02-11-2013, 06:03
And what kind of competition are we speaking of? Race guns, your serious fast ones, are often highly modified from stock. To boot, there is also a nice bias towards 1911's as well because they are so easily modified. SIG does make some nice SAO race guns as well.

Like I said, you don't do it, or else you wouldn't have to ask. While "race guns" get a lot of pictures in gun magazines, they are a tiny minority in actual competition. I know abou and have built race guns, but most people who compete are shooting ordinary carry guns in IDPA, USPSA production or single stack, GSSF, etc. Where people come out and shoot ordinary guns from the gun shop, guns with a DA/SA trigger, including Sig,. Beretta and H&K, can't keep up.

Glock_Convert
02-11-2013, 06:29
Love mine. Excellent gun. But not worth the extra $$$ to me. Hence my handle in this forum :). There are many other super reliable guns out there for less $.... like Glocks. A friend of mine in the army swears by sings though. Says the Berrettas don't hold up in the desert, so he would finagle a SIG as his sidearm.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

LawScholar
02-11-2013, 06:33
In my neck of the woods they're very popular. One of the most popular.

In general, I can only think of expense as a legitimate reason they're not more prevalent. They're quality firearms.

pgg00
02-11-2013, 07:48
Trigger pull sucks (at least on my 226 and 239) and the price.

TheJ
02-11-2013, 11:55
Like I said, you don't do it, or else you wouldn't have to ask. While "race guns" get a lot of pictures in gun magazines, they are a tiny minority in actual competition. I know abou and have built race guns, but most people who compete are shooting ordinary carry guns in IDPA, USPSA production or single stack, GSSF, etc. Where people come out and shoot ordinary guns from the gun shop, guns with a DA/SA trigger, including Sig,. Beretta and H&K, can't keep up.

Bingo

ca survivor
02-12-2013, 12:09

going in my mind with all the Sig models I can remember one with an ambi safety except the new P938 or a 1911

ozy
03-10-2013, 09:43
As mentioed by several, they are pricey, but absolutely excellent in every aspect, imho.and ido love my gen 4 glocks. but the sig are simply on a different palteau.
Again , in my expereince.

bunk22
03-11-2013, 21:37
Old thread but different strokes for different folks. We have a competitive shooter at my squadron, a Hornet pilot who uses only Sig, a Sig 226 to be exact and from what I hear, is one hell of a shooter. A few others compete, all use Glock. I love my Sigs and Glocks but if I had to compete, it would be a Glock but that's just me. They are a bit expensive as well and only the Sig 2022 and 250 are within range of your standard Glock.

Glock27NY
03-12-2013, 05:43
I love Glocks and 1911 platform but my Sig P220R Compact is one sweet , soft recoiling 45

Scrappy
03-12-2013, 13:47
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

I agree

tuica
03-12-2013, 14:32
Also big, clunky, and heavy compared to modern poly-framed pistols. Please no flame here - I do own, and enjoy, a SIG, a 1911, Walther P38, several revolvers...etc. They are just older technology weaponry.Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

OrGlocker
03-23-2013, 03:22
WOW some interesting thoughts do I own sigs yes a total of 5 of them. However for home defense I have my G22 loaded and sitting in the night stand as we speak. However when I'm walking the streets I'm usually carrying my P228 and I feel very comfortable and confident with it because I train with it. Are Sig expensive yes but then again so are funerals.

tuica
03-23-2013, 16:59
Great remark on funerals! Cheers.

BuckyP
03-23-2013, 19:24

Last two USPSA. Production nationals were won with a DA/SA gun. In fact, last year first, second, AND third place were all DA/SA guns.

On the other hand, none were Sigs. Seem none of the top shooters shoot a real Sig, including Sigs top shooter. (Sorry, I don't consider a Sig slide on an STI frame to be a Sig?)

pat701
04-04-2013, 21:29
Love mine. I just wish they where a little cheaper. I would like to see a SP2022 in 45 ACP.

OrGlocker
04-04-2013, 22:13
Love mine. I just wish they where a little cheaper. I would like to see a SP2022 in 45 ACP.

Don't we all. :whistling:

Paul53
04-04-2013, 23:45
I'd love to own a BMW or Mercedes Gullwing. But I can afford my 08 Saturn. They all could get me where I need to go.

When the pinheads at the lottery finally draw the right numbers (mine) I'll own Sigs (and a Mercedes Gullwing!) until then, my Glock is just fine.

maxmanta
04-05-2013, 19:56
Because aluminum?

ca survivor
04-06-2013, 05:57

you save me from typing the same thing :rofl:

iLift45's
04-06-2013, 06:40

Love my Glocks!! Especially my Gen 4 21 and 30SF. Than I just got into the Hk and Sig world. Glocks are a great tool that are ultra dependable. Hk's and Sigs are like driving around in a Ferrari! The fit and finish and the thought that goes into these guns are unreal. It's so hard to describe till you actually experience them.

chessail 77
04-06-2013, 14:14
The cost of a Sig is the reason....

CharlestonG26
04-06-2013, 17:45
I don't know why...but Sig pistols seem to be a whole lot more popular on the Sig Forum than Glock Talk. :dunno:

ditto1958
04-06-2013, 18:00
I don't know why...but Sig pistols seem to be a whole lot more popular on the Sig Forum than Glock Talk. :dunno:

Lol! Good one. Same thing seems true for Rugers on the Ruger Forum.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

bac1023
04-11-2013, 14:45

Well said :)

Ricky Ricardo
04-11-2013, 14:52
Sigís are just too darned expensive for me. Iíve shot one and I liked shooting it, but Iíve never owned one. Iíve heard theyĎre great guns, and I kinda like the way they look. But their price is just too high for me.

Thatís one manís opinion.

deerdave
04-11-2013, 16:30
I live in Alabama, and the reason would be $$$$. I own a Sig 220 stainless elite. Very accurate/ dependable, close run with my customized 1911 colt gold cup, but it is heavy compared to my G20 with a full mag.

ozy
04-15-2013, 06:44
yes, the sigs are"pricey", but so are hks, and a battery of 1911s. price shouldn't be the only reason one buys or doesn't buy a certain firearm.
it is the precieved useability of this gun or another, imho.
price is a factor ,sure, but shouldn't be the only one.

Short Cut
04-15-2013, 09:20
I'd venture a guess that the popularity of 1911 pistols has taken a lot of the discretionary income for higher priced handguns away from Sig.

CanyonMan
04-15-2013, 10:24
Their popular with me... I just bought another one yesterday ! ha.

P220 Extreme 45acp !

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/cid__ResizedImage_1365983680524__zpsc3771f7d.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/cid__ResizedImage_1366040897789__zps30caca88.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/cid__ResizedImage_1366040899092__zps215e6f99.jpg

I like sigs personally. I like the decocker, so I can carry Mex carry and not be concerned about blowing my rump off. I like My M1911's for the same reason, PLUS, I like the way they feel and handle and shoot. What's not to like ! :supergrin:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Is the biggest reason people pass them by.

CanyonMan

DaBurna
04-15-2013, 20:08
You know Sigs RUST in the ALLYBAMMY Humidity Mane!!:rofl::tongueout:

But.... I did consider trading my Steyr C9 for a nice used Sig 2022 9mm in stainless today...:whistling:

Simpleman71
04-16-2013, 11:05
They are popular, just not affordable for most. I have the signess, can't stop buying them.

Simpleman71
04-16-2013, 11:07
Canyonman, what style are those grips? They are hogue G10's correct? Are the black grey pirahna mascus?

CanyonMan
04-16-2013, 21:38
Canyonman, what style are those grips? They are hogue G10's correct? Are the black grey pirahna mascus?

They are indeed the G10's, Black and gray. As for the pirahna mascus Yes !

They are pretty nice grips, and the cool thing is, like a cameleon, (sp) thay seem to strangly blend in with the surroundings.. :cool:

CM

countrygun
04-16-2013, 21:49
Why not do what I did? I combined my like of 1911s and Sigs

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee518/CountryG/100_0483_zps23ba6862.jpg

OrGlocker
04-19-2013, 21:27
Why not do what I did? I combined my like of 1911s and Sigs

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee518/CountryG/100_0483_zps23ba6862.jpg

You've got to love the GSR :wavey:

Rick O'Shay
04-20-2013, 15:40
Sigs are BULKY, compared to just about every other pistol.
That's what I don't like about them.

SevenSixtyTwo
04-20-2013, 16:22
Nothing bulky about my P938.:supergrin:

Burns
04-21-2013, 07:23
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

Add bulky/thick, which makes them a PITA to carry, particularly IWB.

Alliance50
09-24-2013, 13:20
I say anyone that bad mouths a sig is generally someone that does not own or have shot them much if at all.

In my 30+ yrs with firearms sig have always been very dependable accurate and certainly are not bulky to carry.

dhoomonyou
09-24-2013, 14:12
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

Agreed

Weight
Price of mags
One tool to totally disassemble a GLOCK

Glockdude1
09-24-2013, 14:37

:agree:

azbuckeye
09-24-2013, 14:50
I have a 239 9mm that I love but they're just too damn expensive.

Alliance50
09-24-2013, 15:10
I guess I need to disagree with the prone to rust thing.

The reason is I have a half a dozen sigs right now and have never had any kind of rust. I don't get it. I've carried sigs in all kinds of weather and sweat and just have never had a problem with rust. :wavey:

05shadow
09-24-2013, 15:10
I don't get how some guys are saying that sigs are bulky. I own two sigs and USE to own a glock 19 gen3(sold is because I just didn't like how it felt in my hand) but when I did have the glock, I compared the 19 and sig226 and glock19 is a lot thicker than the sig. Especially too thick for something glock calls a compact

tango44
09-25-2013, 08:28
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

+1000 on this one, but still lobe my Sig Scorpion Carry!!!!

bac1023
09-26-2013, 20:23
I don't understand this thread. I feel Sigs are some of the most popular pistols in the world...

Alliance50
09-27-2013, 02:45
I don't understand this thread. I feel Sigs are some of the most popular pistols in the world...

I agree 100% :wavey:

Luminary
09-27-2013, 21:19
The DA is really not that bad at all. Try out a CZ P01 DA pull and get back to me on how Sigs have bad DA trigger pulls. I only own CZ but my cousin's Sig 229 is pretty cool.

iLift45's
10-13-2013, 12:43

Exactly! Love Sigs!!

jakebrake
10-13-2013, 12:44
price, avail of magazines and such.

otherwise, they are a fine pistol.

officer196
10-13-2013, 13:50
Yep, they're kinda pricey. Really nice, though.

My first thought

Thomasc18
10-13-2013, 18:24
I own one. It's a nice pistols, but it is kind of big and bulky.

Boot Stomper
10-14-2013, 14:11
I recently did a check on the popularity of Sig vs Glock in my area by going to Armslist, check the box for "want to buy, WTB" tab and putting in the search engine "Sig Sauer" and then "Glock".

I found in my area one person wanting to buy a Sig Sauer 220 and that was it. On the Glock search I had three pages of people looking for used Glocks.

I think the original premise of this thread is accurate at least in my area.

sns3guppy
10-15-2013, 02:38
My P239 cost me less than my Glocks, and it's been carried more. It's not bulky at all, nor heavy. It's great for IWB carry, and packs a good punch. It's been extremely reliable. It shows no signs of rust, and it's been carried in my waistband a lot.

The P220 thin, and very reliable. One of the best service .45's out there.

I had a chance to shoot a new P227 a few days ago, along with a brand new P224 and a 938. I will certainly be picking up a 224, and probably eventually a 227. I have nothing but respect for my Sigs. I own quite a few, and carry regularly.

2GoneDE
10-15-2013, 21:17
Living in Vegas, I walked into my LGS 10 years ago with a wad of winnings in pursuit of my first handgun. I spent an hour and a half with my salesman (I had shot 6+ handguns I thought I wanted previously), when I felt my Sig Sauer I knew I had found my one...because of my one, there are many. I share with my daughter, friends, coworkers, and new shooters.....they ALL love the Sig.

My daughter has expensive taste...but it is the one gun she will never sell when I am gone. I trust the Sig in that regard.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj608/2GoneDE/IMG953882.jpg

TxGlock9
10-20-2013, 21:24
Ive never had any of mine rust. And the whole "high bore axis" does not mean much. I shoot 357sig and my high axis sig 226/229 shoots much softer than my glock 31/32/33.

Got that right.

AngelDeville
10-20-2013, 21:40
Years ago when I was in bail enforcement, I carried my Clark meltdown 1991A1, and a buddy of mine had a Sig 220? (45acp)

I was envious of the overall price of his pistol, vs my $1200 investment, but his was still not a 1911, so I didn't feel bad for very long.

ArmoryDoc
10-20-2013, 23:04
I own a Sig 226 9mm, Sig 226 .40S&W and a Sig 229 9mm. I WANT a P239 but it hasn't happened yet. :)

will609
10-20-2013, 23:13
I owned my W. Germany Sig P226 for 26 years. High quality firearm and will not give it up. But since this year brought 2 Glocks and are just as reliable as my Sig. If the price was equal I would a brought another Sig.

synthplayer
10-28-2013, 01:40
I purchased my very first handgun in 2007 and I got a Sig. Having never fired a handgun before, I didn't really know what to look for. But firing it at the range was way fun! After shooting the first box of 50 rounds, I was getting them all within the 3 inch circle (from 75 feet). Then I purchased a Browning, 2 Rugers, and a Walther. At that point, I was convinced Sig just had the superior handguns. Then I read some lengthy articles about the Glock 19. I became convinced I had to have one and I purchased one. Well, I LOVE it. It's my EDC. If I was asked which I like better - the Sig or the G19, I would not be able to give a difinitive answer. They are of different worlds. I'll never part with either of them.