Too close for comfort. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Too close for comfort.

garya1961
02-01-2013, 18:54
Editted.
Does anyone think this asteroid could hit us? Also could it have anything to do with all the military and police training going on across the country?
Donna Danna (5 March 2012)
"ASTEROID TO THREATEN EARTH ON 2/15/2013"

ASTEROID TO THREATEN EARTH ON 2/15/2013

To avert a possible catastrophe – this time set for February 2013 – scientists suggest confronting asteroid 2012 DA14 with either paint or big guns. The stickler is that time has long run out to build a spaceship to carry out the operation.
­
NASA's data shows the 60-meter asteroid, spotted by Spanish stargazers in February, will whistle by Earth in 11 months. Its trajectory will bring it within a hair’s breadth of our planet, raising fears of a possible collision.
The asteroid, known as DA14, will pass by our planet in February 2013 at a distance of under 27,000 km (16,700 miles). This is closer than the geosynchronous orbit of some satellites.

There is a possibility the asteroid will collide with Earth, but further calculation is required to estimate the potential threat and work out how to avert possible disaster, NASA expert Dr. David Dunham told students at Russia’s University of Electronics and Mathematics.

But if the entire asteroid is to crash into the planet, the impact will be as hard as in the Tunguska blast, which in 1908 knocked down trees over a total area of 2,150 sq km (830 sq miles) in Siberia. This is almost the size of Luxembourg. In today’s case, the destination of the asteroid is yet to be determined.

FULL STORY at
http://rt.com/news/paint-asteroid-earth-nasa-767/ (http://rt.com/news/paint-asteroid-earth-nasa-767/)

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2012/donnad35.htm

Kentak
02-01-2013, 19:45
Yeah, cuz military and police training, like, hardly ever happens.

garya1961
02-01-2013, 21:12
I guess I worded my post wrong. I was more concerned about the possibility of the asteroid hitting the Earth than the training. In this article they state that it is possible the asteriod might hit us.

Kentak
02-01-2013, 22:23
Relax. It will miss.

Gunnut 45/454
02-01-2013, 22:44
Yea it will miss this time but the next orbit probably not!:whistling: Now a direct hit on Iran could solve a whole lot of the worlds problems!!!:rofl:

DOC44
02-02-2013, 01:32
Yea it will miss this time but the next orbit probably not!:whistling: Now a direct hit on Iran could solve a whole lot of the worlds problems!!!:rofl:

if it could get through those new blimps it would also solve a whole lot of the worlds problems.:whistling:

Doc44

pugman
02-02-2013, 06:12
Google The Tunguska Event 1908.

A 30 meter asteroid which burst over Northern Russia and wiped out an area of 830 square miles.

This one is 60 meters.

I'm no physicist and don't know what the size/energy output ratio is comparing a 30 to 60 meter asteroid but if this one were to hit or air burst over the U.S it would wipe out an area maybe 40 miles square.

Iran, eh?

It would be a great new start for Detriot.

series1811
02-02-2013, 06:47
I guess I worded my post wrong. I was more concerned about the possibility of the asteroid hitting the Earth than the training. In this article they state that it is possible the asteriod might hit us.

We are only able to track about ten per cent of the known asteroids in space. The one that gets us, is most likely to be one we don't even know about at this point.

And, more than one will get us, sooner or later, but the odds of any of us still being alive when it actually happens are pretty slim.

But, from my layman's only knowledge of what a large strike would entail, I can't see any amount of police or military training really doing much good in the aftermath.

jellis11
02-02-2013, 07:50
I don't really believe that they would tell us if it was going to hit or not. It would be pure mayhem from the moment they went public with the info.

If it does it does, if it doesn't it doesn't. I could care less... lol as long as I'm not on duty that day!

Cavalry Doc
02-02-2013, 09:06
Could this be what all the military and police training is about. I don't know but it's a little scary.

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2012/donnad35.htm

I'm going to try very hard not to be sarcastic here, but two or three platoons of guys training with local law enforcement in a couple of cities is no where near what would be needed to prepare for that.

Try not to connect very distant points and weave a story.

If they thought it was going to hit, they might not say anything right now. What could you really do if you were not sure where it would hit? I'd imagine if it were likely to hit, they'd be mobilizing every possible resource to figure out where, and what to do about it right after. Best bet, hunker down and hope it's hitting somewhere else. If you happen to be there, all the helicopters and small arms you could muster together are going to be a complete waste of time.

If it's coming close to you, get low, stay low for a LONG time after, as in hours, not minutes, then come up and see what's left if you are still here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/asteroid-2012-da14--earth-nasa-satellites_n_1538340.html

garya1961
02-02-2013, 13:39
I don't really believe that they would tell us if it was going to hit or not. It would be pure mayhem from the moment they went public with the info.

If it does it does, if it doesn't it doesn't. I could care less... lol as long as I'm not on duty that day!
I don't believe they would tell us if it "was" going to hit us.

EOS
02-02-2013, 16:48

No. Thats where you're wrong. If it hit Washington DC, destroyed the White House and The Federal Reserve building, only THAT would solve alot of the world's problems.

I hate to steer the thread off course, but who has destablized the entire middle east, killed children with drones, and brought bankruptcy and economic ruin to it's people?

Here's a hint: Not Iran.

I see you've taken the MSM/Government propaganda hook, line and sinker.

ViennaGambit
02-02-2013, 17:08
No. Thats where you're wrong. If it hit Washington DC, destroyed the White House and The Federal Reserve building, only THAT would solve alot of the world's problems.

I hate to steer the thread off course, but who has destablized the entire middle east, killed children with drones, and brought bankruptcy and economic ruin to it's people?

Are you being serious?

hogship
02-02-2013, 17:14
If there were any real threat, it would be impossible to keep a lid on it.

This was spotted by Spanish stargazers, and has not been a secret.......so you can bet there are a few other people interested in tracking the asteroid outside of NASA.

ooc

Cavalry Doc
02-02-2013, 17:35

Yeah, thanks for that. I'll be in D.C. on a business trip that day.

Iran sounds a bit better from my point of view. :whistling: