New Yorkers, how's the 7-rnd limit affecting what you carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Yorkers, how's the 7-rnd limit affecting what you carry?

RussP
02-03-2013, 09:54
Are Will you be carrying an extra mag or two?

Anyone carrying a New York Reload now?

Edited for clarification after Seanmac45 pointed out the new law goes into effect in a couple of months... :thumbsup:

ALBlkGTCS
02-03-2013, 10:10
I just picked up a Glock 36. I have the 26 and love t. But I figure, 7 rounds of 45 is better than 8 rounds of 9mm.

Saberman
02-03-2013, 10:12
Nobody I know here is paying any mind to any of this BS. The only place is the Gun Stores. The word around here is let them try. Nothing has changed for me, carry wise.

Saberman
02-03-2013, 10:14
So funny I grew up in Huntington. Now Northport.

fran m
02-03-2013, 10:52
I have not seen what the penalty is.

Ridiculous that you could have a criminal record following you for life for carrying too many rounds. Also, how did they come up with seven? I guess they realized that there was no difference for the ten years of the first ban. Why not three, two or one?
After all, you would still be exercising your 2nd amendment rights.

njl
02-03-2013, 10:55
Nobody I know here is paying any mind to any of this BS. The only place is the Gun Stores. The word around here is let them try. Nothing has changed for me, carry wise.

I've seen people posting either dumping their "high caps" or offering to trade them for 10-rounders. Kind of makes me sad for them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Lior
02-03-2013, 11:31
If ny.gov gets away with this, it's only a matter of time before they start with stamp tax and writs of assistance.

Uncle T-bone
02-03-2013, 16:54
That's six more than Barney could carry in Mayberry...:cool:

Garweh
02-04-2013, 09:38
Carrying my Sig 1911 ultra with 2 extra mags (22 rounds total) and my Ruger LCP with 1 extra mag (13 rounds total). Do not feel like I am carrying too little ammo.

ARP
02-04-2013, 09:50
of Glock 9mm 15 rnd magazines to show up at the gun show here in PA over the weekend, no such luck.

seanmac45
02-04-2013, 09:56
From the NYS Website;

Q: How many rounds can I put in my magazine today?

A: Ten. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting in seven rounds, unless you are at an incorporated firing range or competition recognized by the National Rifle Association or International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association, in which case the limit is ten.

So in reality the limit is not in effect as of yet. NYS has banned mags with more than 10 round capacity since 1994. The seven round limit as described above is not yet in effect.

As to me, I have been carrying 1911's since I retired. Therefore it will not have any effect on my carry habits.

cadillacguns
02-05-2013, 04:45
Somebody once gave me a G-23 10 rd mag. Living in the free state of Indiana, I have no real use for it and would trade it for a G-17/19/22/23 Standard cap (No korean or pre ban U shaped NDF mag) in a heartbeat. However, the way the country is headed, maybe I better hang on to it.

BobbyT
02-05-2013, 05:34
Some suggestions:
- .454 Casull
- .460 S&W Mag
- .500 S&W Mag

IndyGunFreak
02-05-2013, 05:41
Also, how did they come up with seven? rights.

Some have said, it's because Kimber is based in Yonkers (ie.. 1911's typical magazine is 7rds)...

Personally.. I think this was a back door way of limiting semi-auto's to the point that wheel guns were really the most practical choice. I think the bill authors knew no manufacturer was going to make a special 7rd magazine for NY. That leaves the law abiding gun owner w/ few options:

1. Buy a gun that can only hold 7rds

2. If you have "pre ban" 10rd mags, you can use them... but you can only load 7rds in them.

3. Carry a wheel gun.

The authors probably didn't want to push the issue to hard, w/ Kimber being based there.. but I think #3 is what they are really pushing for.

IGF

Bren
02-05-2013, 05:50
From the NYS Website;

Q: How many rounds can I put in my magazine today?

A: Ten. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting in seven rounds, unless you are at an incorporated firing range or competition recognized by the National Rifle Association or International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association, in which case the limit is ten.

So they selectively kept the less popular competitions and dumped IDPA and USPSA and GSSF - figures.

I guess if I lived in New York, I'd carry a .45, 10mm or .357 now.

RussP
02-05-2013, 08:28
...Also, how did they come up with seven?10 round mags and only 7 rounds allowed, no secret, it is legislative entrapment. They leave the temptation to violate the law out there.

As some have said, many New Yorkers have been ignoring the '94 law as to both firearm and mag restrictions.

:cool:

jack76590
02-05-2013, 08:30
In addition to 1911s, the sig 220 in 45acp (with earlier 7 round mag) and sig P239 in 40 might also become popular as mags hold 7 rounds.

GeorgieBoy
02-05-2013, 09:29
You old timers (Iím one) surely remember the rash of horrific massacres caused by those Browning Hi-Powers with the 13 round staggered magazines. Or, the years of insane mass shootings one after another caused by those nasty M-1 Carbines with detachable 15 and 30 round magazines. Even the venerable M-1 with only its 8 round clip caused chaos in locations all around the country. And, it almost goes without saying that the M-14 of the 1950s and 1960s with its 20 round detachable magazines was the culprit in bloodletting of epic proportions.
So, isnít it self-evident that those Hi-cap magazines and semiautomatic pistols and rifles are simply too evil to tolerate in our civil society? :whistling:

carlfs
02-06-2013, 20:27
So they selectively kept the less popular competitions and dumped IDPA and USPSA and GSSF - figures.

I guess if I lived in New York, I'd carry a .45, 10mm or .357 now.

Being on the PA border, the organizers of the local IDPA matches send out a blanket NRA letter at the beginning of the season so that PA shooters can bring their handguns into NY for competiton. I'm guessing (hoping) that the new laws don't stand up to the scrutiny of the courts.

Cavalry Doc
02-06-2013, 20:43
Some suggestions:
- .454 Casull
- .460 S&W Mag
- .500 S&W Mag

I was thinking something similar, if you can only have a few, might as well make them BIG.

28 gauge?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/img_5031-tfb.jpg

janice6
02-06-2013, 20:51
I'm not in NY, but I changed my carry to one I found I could shoot faster and more accurate than my old CCW.

What really pees me off is that my decision was made before any ruckus about number of rounds. I made my choice of 6 because it was the most energy I could shoot, while also giving me quicker followups. .357 Mag in 4 inch barrel.

I am experimenting with a NY reload, with a 2 inch .357 Mag on the other side. Works, but need another inch in the waistband.

Carry two speed strips too.

If I can get a .44 Magnum that shoots this well, I will change to that.

Fevad
02-06-2013, 21:00
10 round mags and only 7 rounds allowed, no secret, it is legislative entrapment. They leave the temptation to violate the law out there.

How can you be sure what happened to the other mag? It was a highly stressful moment.

Deaf Smith
02-06-2013, 21:07
After the next mass shooting where a nutjob uses two 7 shot handguns and a few extra mags they will then demand a 5 shot limit.

Trust me, they won't stop with no stinken 7 shot limit.

Deaf

Cavalry Doc
02-06-2013, 21:10
After the next mass shooting where a nutjob uses two 7 shot handguns and a few extra mags they will then demand a 5 shot limit.

Trust me, they won't stop with no stinken 7 shot limit.

Deaf

Next step will be a key lock to change magazines, kept at the local police station of course.....
[/sarcasm]

This mag stuff is crazy. Hope they keep that stuff in NY, maybe get it overturned.

Rinspeed
02-06-2013, 21:40
As some have said, many New Yorkers have been ignoring the '94 law as to both firearm and mag restrictions.

Not a single one of my mags has a manufacture date on them. :dunno: If the pistol was designed before '94 how on earth can anyone tell me the mag wasn't made pre '94. :whistling: