Carry Rotation? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry Rotation?

ken grant
02-05-2013, 15:09
I keep reading about guys having a carry rotation with their pistols.

Why do this???? Seems that it is better just to carry one pistol all the time rather than several different ones.

rytlewski
02-05-2013, 15:33
I carry my Kel-Tec 380 all the time since it fits nicely in the pocket. However my main carry is a Glock 19 which I rotate with my Kel-Tec 9mm depending on what I'm wearing that day. I usually carry the 380 as a back-up in my left pocket, but switch it to the right if using it as my only carry.

RyanNREMTP
02-05-2013, 16:11
Some people vary depending on climate and layers of clothing.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

harrygunner
02-05-2013, 16:22
I stick to one gun unless I'm in the woods that has big critters.

I've carried my 1911 under a Polo-like shirt in the heat of Miami and under a coat in the cold of Montana.

In the stress of a self-defense situation, I want both my brain and muscle memory ready to use the gun I train with.

Jason D
02-05-2013, 17:40
I mostly stick to one gun (semi-auto), but sometimes the need to carry a revolver strikes me and I'll pack a .357.

PAGunner
02-05-2013, 17:52
Carrying different types of weapons is stupid. Manual of arms should be the same if you want to carry different weapons (ie, Glock 26/17/19).

I've made peace with carrying 1 gun, my shield .40 with flush fit mag, perfect gun for south Florida.

Deaf Smith
02-05-2013, 17:57
In the winter I can carry a much more effective piece than in the hot Texas summer time.

A Glock 19/23/32 can easily be carried in the winter but around here with just shorts, t-shirt, and lots of sweat, then a J .38 makes more sense.

So don't disparage having more than one carry gun. Just as having more than one carry holster!

Deaf

robhic
02-05-2013, 18:18
Rotation can be good! SmartCarry -- self-supported for sweats and elastic waistbands. G26 or .357 snubbie. I may also use a Remora for the G26 if waistband can be snugged up sufficiently.

G30 in IWB High Noon leather holster, again depending on attire. Three fiddy seven in a DeSantis ankle holster (Apache) depending on attire and WHAT I FEEL LIKE CARRYING!:supergrin::supergrin:

ken grant
02-05-2013, 19:37
I carry a Glock 23 all the time. I do have a 27,19 and 26 but I don't rotate them but could as they are mostly the same.

Have drawers full of holsters,both cheap and expensive but for OWB, a Glock Sport Combat is all I want or need.
For IWB, a Com Tach Minotaur is all I want or need.

I do rotate holsters as above but never pistols.

1smoothredneck
02-05-2013, 19:51
Yes, it does make lots of sense to carry one gun for all occasions. Just like it makes lots of sense to not "carry a pistol to a rifle fight"! The truth is, I just can't always carry the same gun for everything. My profession calls for absolute concealment. Period. Therefore, I carry a weapon that allows just that, absolute discretion. Off work, I'll carry a much more decisive fighting pistol. Also, I just like guns, and enjoy carrying different examples!
I do, however, seriously ascribe to a simple philosophy on a ccw. I like commonality of operation. Years and years of 1911 use habituated a comfort level with that manual of arms. Years and years of DA revolver shooting habituated another manual of arms. That's about all I care to retain in muscle memory for the most part. So, I like a frame mounted, 1911 style safety, or a point gun, pull trigger type of handgun. They strong side thumb "swipes off" a safety in presentation of the piece, no matter if it's a wheel gun, 1911, or one of my Glocks... The built in muscle memory and movement is the same. I stay away from slide mounted safety or decock levers just to keep it simple for me. I know Massad Ayoob carries those too, just cause he likes 'em. But I, sir, am no Massad Ayoob! Remember, There's no such thing as a tornado. Mas' just don't like trailer parks! Be safe.

Saugus
02-05-2013, 21:21
I live in a small Midwestern town with very little if any violent crime. During the week I carry a S&W model 60-1 Chiefs Special .38 in a Crossbreed SuperTuk IWB holster. I load it with Buffalo Bore 158gr SWCHP ammo. I also carry one Galco speed strip with 5 extra bullets.

Now if I go to one of the cities close by I will carry my Glock G30 in a Crossbreed SuperTuk IWB holster with a nine round magazine for better concealment, and Federal HST 230gr +p hollow points. I will also carry a spare 10 round magazine with the same.

These are the only two weapons I rotate EDC.

This is my routine.

Hugo R
02-05-2013, 21:35
Nope, no rotation for me. I usually carry a G26 and an LCP as a BUG. Every now and then if I'm heading into something dicey I'll add my G17 to the mix.

Sounds like a lot of fire power...but then again, it's Lost Angels.

HR:cool:

larry_minn
02-05-2013, 22:15
Ideally you should stick to ONE gun, always carried in same location. (with same covering garmet, same gloves on hands/no gloves.......)
For me the gun is NOT what I plan day around. MN winters I am outside for hrs. So insulated "coverall" type clothing. A IWB would be a 30 second plus draw. (I would bet over a minute in reall cold weather as I would have to REMOVE the overjacket, scarf, gloves then peal off coveralls/snow suit off shoulders.... (actually never even tried it)
So pocket carry (of a revolver/holstered semi auto) is better choice. OR a shoulder holster. Still have to unzip/remove heavy gloves....
I seldom carry a 1911. Maybe 2 yrs ago I (decided to switch) for some unknown reason. Did some practice, lots of dry fire, draws,etc. Maybe two months later I went back.
Basicly everything is Glock safe action/similar action.

happyguy
02-06-2013, 07:33
No rotation for me. I carry all my guns, all the time.

:2gun:

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

BADOS
02-06-2013, 08:52
No rotation for me either. I carry one gun, a Glock 27 the same position each time. I think if you CC you should get to know that gun real well. Become "one" with it.

collim1
02-06-2013, 19:54
I don't "rotate" either. I carry my P239 and a spare mag OWB 99% of the time.

Occasionally I carry my jframe 442 when I need a discreet carry option for dress clothes that require a tucked in shirt. I consider that filling a need, not rotating.

I guess I can understand it though. You "want" a new gun, you buy a new gun, then you feel the "need" to justify that purchase by carrying it.

Some people don't like to admit they bought a gun just because. It happens, I have a few guns I own just for the sake of wanting it.

happyguy
02-07-2013, 07:49
Some people don't like to admit they bought a gun just because. It happens, I have a few guns I own just for the sake of wanting it.

Funny how that happens. :wavey:

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Bren
02-07-2013, 08:53
I vary, depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.

ranger1968
02-07-2013, 09:14

Why do this???? Seems that it is better just to carry one pistol all the time rather than several different ones.

It IS better to carry one pistol all the time;

And all that nonsense about haing a winter vs a summer gun is just that , nonsense;

Dress around the pistol, and it's never an issue.

badge315
02-08-2013, 10:20
Carrying different types of weapons is stupid.

Is that so? :upeyes:

Then I guess I'm stupid...and so is Massad Ayoob.

Don't be mad just because you can't master more than one handgun. :tongueout:

I vary, depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.

Exactly.

bennie1986
02-08-2013, 11:03
I carry what ever i am feeling like carrying that particular day. It also depends how sneaky im tying to be like if i need to carry my lcp . Most of the time its my g23 cause i have a new found obsession with glock!

Cream Soda Kid
02-08-2013, 11:18
It depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.

ca survivor
02-08-2013, 13:27
Carry Rotation? Yes, I carry what ever I'm feeling like carrying that particular day/week, usually I change my avatar to represent my carry option. :rofl:

MLittle
02-08-2013, 18:00
My philosophy about my carry pistol isn't quite as restrictive as some of the other posters here. I only carry pistols without manual safeties..... But I don't go as far as only carrying double action pistols, double/single action, or single action pistols. I will carry my Glock 30sf (da) or my Sig P220 (da/sa) depending on my mood. I do have some 1911's, but don't carry them.....

RJ's Guns
02-08-2013, 19:26
Is that so? :upeyes:

Then I guess I'm stupid...and so is Massad Ayoob.

Don't be mad just because you can't master more than one handgun. :tongueout:

Regarding PAGunner’s post that “Carrying different types ofweapons is stupid.”
I thought the same thing as you;

Then I guess I'm stupid....

Don't be mad just because you can't master more than one handgun

RJ

Bruce M
02-08-2013, 20:55
I carry a different gun when I am at work than when I am not at work and sometimes dress plays into the decision also.

The benefits of carrying only one gun may be balanced against the problems that can arise from having the presence of the gun too obvious, wearing clothing that causes one to stand out, and finding yourself in a position a smaller gun is probably better than no gun.

countrygun
02-08-2013, 21:08
I guess I am one of the stupid. At home and around in the brush may wear a CA Bulldog .44 or a Smith 29, going to town where I'll have a rifle in the truck I will go to a S&W 908, or a Kimber Compact. If I am travelling, where I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a rifle in the car maybe a CZ 75 compact, or even a G-20 (Depending on the "where").

Then again In woodworking I can switch from a 10 oz finish hammer up to a full size framer, and I even use tools other than hammers, all without having to go through a retraining session.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-08-2013, 21:35
Some people vary depending on climate and layers of clothing.

Exactly.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-08-2013, 21:40
I guess I am one of the stupid. At home and around in the brush may wear a CA Bulldog .44 or a Smith 29, going to town where I'll have a rifle in the truck I will go to a S&W 908, or a Kimber Compact. If I am travelling, where I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a rifle in the car maybe a CZ 75 compact, or even a G-20 (Depending on the "where").

Then again In woodworking I can switch from a 10 oz finish hammer up to a full size framer, and I even use tools other than hammers, all without having to go through a retraining session.

Count me as one of the stupid, too.

I have 4 carry guns of preference. What they have in common is all chambered and no safety :)

Glock 26 - 11 rounds of 9mm
Kahr PM9 - 7 rounds of 9mm
S&W 642 - 5 rounds of .38
Ruger LCP - 7 rounds of .380

That is my carry gun rotation. Which one I carry depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going :)

Beanie-Bean
02-09-2013, 06:49
I carry different knives and handguns, depending on what I have to wear that day, and because I like the variety. I do practice with all the weapons I carry, because the manual if arms is different for each.

For edged weapons, the deployment methods are just as different. However, I haven't let that stop me from carrying something different.

I do have favorites, but it just really depends on what I'll be doing that day. Just do what works for you, I suppose.

Bill Lumberg
02-09-2013, 08:16
No rotation here. I keep reading about guys having a carry rotation with their pistols.

unit1069
02-09-2013, 11:52
It's much more convenient for me to have different CCW pistols for varying weather/situations, all with the same striker-fired design.

Jim S.
02-09-2013, 20:08
Beware the man who has but one gun, for he probably knows how to use it.

I miss the Colonel and his words of wisdom.

rick458
02-10-2013, 04:42
I bought a 26 to switch out with my 17, but with my mode of non work dress
(shorts and Tee or Fishing style shirt, Gun belt, MTac, spare 17 mag and Emerson CQC-7s) the 17 rode just as easily as the 26, and had a MUCH easier to grasp handle.
In the cold, or in the hot muggy Texas Gulf Coast summer, my 17 rides with me.
I guess it helps that my previous EDC was a 5" Kimber or Colt in a Sparks VMII.

cadillacguns
02-10-2013, 05:28
I should carry the G-23 24/7 but it gos where I go locked in the car safe. The G-27 seems to be on my person though wherever I go.

badge315
02-10-2013, 07:42
Beware the man who has but one gun, for he probably knows how to use it.

I don't think that axiom holds true anymore. All the people I know who only have one gun are noobs; all the people I know who are skilled with firearms have a bunch of them.

larry_minn
02-10-2013, 10:51
Lets be fair. I think most everyone would agree its "best" if you always carry the same gun, in same holster, in same location with same cover garmet..........

We have real life. Folks carry a .22 or .380 when most would rather carry a 9mm or .45acp (I am not listing all calibers/loads so please forgive me not naming your favorite)

As IIRC Mr Ayobb posted yrs ago. Word to effect "A mouse gun on hip is better then a custom tuned super mag that is home locked in safe" (Please also note it is NOT a exact quote. Just what I recall of meaning)

I believe he also wrote how folks would like to carry a mini/mouse gun but if/when needed it transform into a full size (maybe even rifle/shotgun)

I can see not changing total weapon type more then you have to. When I did the 1911 I worked for days (empty gun) first. Same thing going back.

sugarcreek
02-10-2013, 10:56
I carry one gun for a year plus. Then I might switch for a year plus.

DustyJacket
02-10-2013, 10:58
I used to have a summer CCW and a winter one.
Now I just carry a .38 snubby year round (for CCW).

I am trying to simplify my life.

SCmasterblaster
02-10-2013, 13:50
I carry my G17 only- since 1991. G17 24/7/365.

Mark9Fogger
02-10-2013, 18:19
G23 or G35. When the weather turns hot, my G23 will definitely be carried way more than my G35.

NEOH212
02-11-2013, 19:15

I can't justify carrying several different makes, models, and action types of pistols. I can understand doing it long enough to see what works for the individual but once that person finds the gun that works for them, then they should stick with it.

If they need something smaller for deep concealment, a second gun is fine as long as it's the same action type and preferably a smaller version of their primary carry. Familiarity and consistency is a good thing especially when it comes to a defensive handgun.

I carry a HK 45 and I have a second one should something happen to it.

As for a deep concealment gun, I have a USP 45 Compact for when the full size is just a little too big.

I don't switch to the USP unless I need the deep concealment option. I don't see the point in what many people do when they constantly switch between 10 different guns on a regular basis. They remind me of a fickle 13 year girl that has a different boyfriend every other week and doesn't know what she wants.

Guns aren't a fashion statement. Guns aren't some novelty item you carry with you because it's cool. It's there to protect your life and one should pick the one that works for them and stick with it.

The saying, "A jack of all trades but a master of none" really comes to mind here. I don't like maybe or good enough when it comes to self defense. I like to say, "I know."

Pick one gun and master it. That's the bottom line.

badge315
02-11-2013, 19:30
Pick one gun and master it. That's the bottom line.

You say that as if it's impossible to master more than one gun, and that simply isn't true.

Reaver2218
02-11-2013, 20:03
I bought a Walther PPQ in 9mm when they came out and I was switching back and forth between my G19 and the PPQ every few weeks shooting both regularly at the range but I decided to stick with my G19 having shot it better and felt more comfortable with it. the PPQ has what seems like a higher sight picture because the slide is thicker than the 19.

NEOH212
02-11-2013, 22:16
You say that as if it's impossible to master more than one gun, and that simply isn't true.

I'm not saying it can't be done but when you spend all your time with one gun in particular, it becomes a part of you.

Becoming proficient with a gun is one thing. When a gun proverbially becomes a extension of yourself, that goes beyond mastering something. It's the point that one comes to only after many hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of rounds spent with that one gun and only it alone.

One can become, "Proficient" with more than one gun but I'm skeptical of someone that shoots and carries many different guns and makes the claim that they've, "Mastered" them all.

Only a very small number of people can make that claim and not be lying about it.

So yes, you can become proficient with all of your guns. You'll get no argument from me on that. I've only truly mastered one handgun and that's the one I carry and have been training extensively with for a while now.

I'm pretty good with the other ones but when I put my carry piece up against the rest of them, it's very clear which one I've, "Mastered" (using your term) and which ones I haven't.

When you fire thousands of rounds from one gun, you learn how to read it and feel it. You know what it's going to do next. It becomes predictable and repetitive. You become consistent, faster and more accurate. You get used to the controls being in the same place. You get used to everything about that gun and you optimize your shooting to that gun.

Then when you go to another gun, you find yourself trying to handle that one like it's what your used to and all of a sudden the reach to the slide release is different and throws you off. The mag release has just a little different feel to it and slow you down. You need a different grip and don't find yourself firing as fast as you did with what your used to.

Don't think so? I offer you a challenge. Take the gun you shoot best with and shoot it and only it for the next three months at least once a week and fire at least 250 rounds per range trip. Run through speed drills and dynamic target/ fast draw and fire, tactical reload drills, ect. The more the better.

Then take any other handgun in your collection and at the end of those three months run through the same speed drills and see what you find yourself doing and not doing. Time yourself with what you've been training with for those three months versus what your shooting that day. Compare your shooting results from both honestly and then call me crazy.

You just might be surprised by what you find and may find that you really haven't mastered all those other guns like you think you have. Don't take my word for it. Do it and see for yourself.

:whistling:

RJ's Guns
02-11-2013, 22:54
I don't think that axiom holds true anymore. All the people I know who only have one gun are noobs; all the people I know who are skilled with firearms have a bunch of them.

I agree. “All the people I know who are skilled with firearms have a bunch of them.” The only thing that I would add to your statement is, moreover, they practice, a lot. Practice is the key. I know that is why I do not have any problem changing handguns, handgun platforms or holsters. I have drawn and fired so many thousands of times that it is now easy to make those changes.

It is somewhat analogous to driving/racing different motor vehicles. Each vehicle has different pedal foot spacing and positioning, driver positioning/orientation, some are 5 speed, some 6 speed, different shift patterns, shift points, different heel and toe spacing for downshifting, some are SMGs, some paddle shift automatics, then I have driven different motorcycles, 4x4s, side by sides, etc. Many times the vehicles were driven under the stress of highspeed racing or trying to stay alive on the streets with dumb drivers everywhere.

What is the use of going on any more. Almost all of the people on these forums know everything there is to know about everything in the world and their minds are closed, reason, logic and facts, be damned.

Now with ammunition and components being so scarce and expensive, it is going to be difficult for many of the people to get the practice that they need to become proficient. I feel most fortunate that I had the time and the resources to shoot, literally, as much and as often as I wanted without any concerns, whatsoever, about ammo costs or availability.

RJ

NEOH212
02-11-2013, 23:06
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I agree. “All the people I know who are skilled with firearms have a bunch of them.

Skilled and having, "Mastered them" are two very different things though.

SCmasterblaster
02-12-2013, 12:45
I agree. “All the people I know who are skilled with firearms have a bunch of them.”

RJ

I never thought of that . . . . I consider myself an expert with all six of my handguns.