Looking at boolits at the store [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking at boolits at the store

rgregoryb
02-06-2013, 18:02
Why does everybody want to open a box of ammo and gaze at a cartridge , even FMJ? Do you envision it cutting a deadly path through a bad guy or deer? Does it reveal the ballistics to you in a telepathic or surreal manner? Or is it because it is tradition?

collim1
02-06-2013, 18:23
I can't explain it, but I do it also. Curiosity I guess, but also because most stores wont refund or exchange ammo once it leaves the store. I have gotten screwed a couple of times buying boxes with rounds missing.

bug
02-06-2013, 18:48
I can't explain it, but I do it also. Curiosity I guess, but also because most stores wont refund or exchange ammo once it leaves the store. I have gotten screwed a couple of times buying boxes with rounds missing.

This always make sure its a full box...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

CBennett
02-06-2013, 19:02
Want to see if any got mangled in the loading process, box is full. and if its the first time ive seen or thought about buying a box I want to see what type it is. Meaning one time i grabed several boxes in various weights as a test to see wat the SR9c would "digest" weight size(got 115,124,147 grain) id not used the 147 before so I opened it up(American Eagle i think was brand) thinking id see a round nose I saw this instead

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174101/federal-american-eagle-ammunition-9mm-luger-147-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50

not quite a round nose is it...figured after that id check to see what im getting if im getting something different or new that ive not gotten/bought before. Shot well in the test as did everything.

I dont open up a box of WWB or Balzer to look at the rounds just to be sure its full and none are mangled.. I know what they are...but like last time I went in I opened a box of Hornady Critical Duty just to see what it looked like..swithced over to it as my CC round also. I just wanted to check out the little plastic/rubber widget that goes in the hollwo point to see how stable/secure it was.

rgregoryb
02-06-2013, 19:15
most the people in our store only look at one....

ScottieG59
02-06-2013, 21:23
I have found ammo missing so I check them.

DonD
02-06-2013, 21:34
Hate to say it but what's with people calling "bullets" "boolits"??

Is this supposed to be cute or what? Call them slugs, bullets, projectiles etc. Don

rgregoryb
02-06-2013, 21:39
buy a sense of humor, for when you put boolits in a clip

Ruggles
02-06-2013, 22:03
I do it cause they shiny and pretty to look at.

Jim Watson
02-06-2013, 22:14
Hate to say it but what's with people calling "bullets" "boolits"??

Is this supposed to be cute or what? Call them slugs, bullets, projectiles etc. Don

I always say you shouldn't call it a boolit unless you cast it yourself over a buffalo chip campfire.

jdeere_man
02-06-2013, 22:17
I've never opened a box and checked it out. Then again I also rarely buy from a retail store.

10mm Sonny
02-07-2013, 00:05
I have a H&K, so I put the boolits in my clips backwards.

Tiro Fijo
02-07-2013, 04:57
With QC being what it is today it's best to check them, but only once you've brought them to the counter in order to buy. Most places I know don't allow the Gomers to grope the ammo as inevitably they tear the boxes and nobody buys a taped up box.

Lowjiber
02-07-2013, 06:12
I'll tell you why I open the box at Wally World...

Back before the meteor landed and made ammo extinct, I bought a box of 100 WWB .40 S&W on the way to the range. When I opened the box (at the range in the middle of the frickin desert) it contained two black trays, each full of .45ACP. No kiddin.

rgregoryb
02-07-2013, 07:53
I have a H&K, so I put the boolits in my clips backwards.

H&K will actually turn them around as being fed into the chamber..................:supergrin:

DonD
02-07-2013, 07:55
buy a sense of humor, for when you put boolits in a clip

I have a sense of humor, that one just doesn't do it for me. I prefer accurate terminology.

No big deal, keep up the casting and reloading! :wavey:

And I too am guilty of occasionally looking at factory ammo in calibers I don't have. Don

Redheadhunter21
02-07-2013, 08:29
I do it on every box I buy, looking to make sure it's a full box of the right ammo, and look for anything like missing primers or marked up rounds

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)