So I finally got my Smith and Wesson model 60 for $575 Brand New [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So I finally got my Smith and Wesson model 60 for $575 Brand New

DEE50
02-07-2013, 11:28
The gun has the 2 inch barrel. And I was wondering what some common favorites are for IWB holsters and speed-loaders. :faint:

WT
02-07-2013, 12:32
Dale Fricke's Archangel appendix inside the waistband holster.

Bianchi speed strips in lieu of speed loaders. One strip in front pocket, one strip in rear pocket. 4 rounds each strip.

Bren
02-07-2013, 13:25
The gun has the 2 inch barrel. And I was wondering what some common favorites are for IWB holsters and speed-loaders. :faint:

I only use HKS speedloaders for carry guns (Safariland for competition guns).

I almost never carry a model 60 IWB, but when I do it's whatever IWB holster is cheapest.

Bren
02-07-2013, 13:26

Bianchi speed strips in lieu of speed loaders. One strip in front pocket, one strip in rear pocket. 4 rounds each strip.

Why 4 rounds per speed strip, for a 5 round revolver?

meathead19
02-07-2013, 13:36
Why 4 rounds per speed strip, for a 5 round revolver?

IIRC, it makes for easier reloading. But I could be wrong.

WT
02-07-2013, 15:29
Queston: "Is a revolver with 1 live cartridge in the cylinder loaded?"

Answer:"YES!"

I know of 3 cases where police officers in a gunfight, behind cover, were performing a speed reload of their revolver. While doing so the bad guy walked up to them and shot them dead. On examination afterwards, in each case the officers had loaded at least 1 cartridge in the cylinder ... possibly all that was needed to stop the badguy. Unfortunately they were trained to load all 6 chambers before resuming fire.

Time is of the essence. RELOAD and get back into the fight!

With fine motor skills lost it takes some effort to quickly reload a revolver. Reloading 2 rounds from a speed strip can be done quickly. Reloading the next 2 rounds will take a little longer because of less choices of chambers in which to thrust the rounds. To load the last chamber will take even longer. That last round takes more time that it is worth.

A revolver with 1 live cartridge in the cylinder IS loaded.

Speed strips for snubbies should be loaded with 2 rounds, then a space, then another 2 rounds. This gives the shooter a good grip to pry the rounds out of the strip and drop into the chambers. A fully loaded strip will need some more concentration to do so.

To repeat, a revolver with 1 live cartridge in the cylinder IS loaded.

For additional information I highly suggest reading Grant Cunningham's "Book of the Revolver."

For snubby training a top instructor is Michael 'Bobo' deBethencourt.

DEE50
02-07-2013, 15:35
I only use HKS speedloaders for carry guns (Safariland for competition guns).

I almost never carry a model 60 IWB, but when I do it's whatever IWB holster is cheapest.

Can you give an example of a cheap and cost effective holster then? I'm wanting to carry with just shirt and jean short. (For 2 inch barrel)
:faint:

GIG4FUN
02-07-2013, 17:53
I just took a look at my holster fr the S&W Model 36 Chief 38 special.... I dearly love it - it's one fo the best holsters I have ever had for that gun...I and CONCEALS like mad.

It's a

bianchi 209 "chief special" I had a thumb break added to it at an upholstery shop.

I just googled it and don't see it currently available. (ebay???)

Bruce M
02-07-2013, 18:14
Enjoy your Model 60. For a couple decades a J frame was about the standard for plainclothes/concealed carry. Maybe start here for a holster or two http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=j+frame+holster&_sacat=0&_from=R40

GlockFish
02-07-2013, 19:13

So you take a gun that only holds 5 rounds, and make it hold even less rounds?

Yes, I read the jibberjabber you wrote about a revolver being "loaded" with only 1 round.

No offense, but....... No.

Just no.

For the OP - a 6 round speed strip with 5 rounds (leaving 1 hole open) is what a lot of people carry for reloads for a 5 round revolver. That extra space where the 6th round would go helps hold on to and makes a full 5 round reload easier.

Bren
02-07-2013, 19:50
Can you give an example of a cheap and cost effective holster then? I'm wanting to carry with just shirt and jean short. (For 2 inch barrel)
:faint:

The last one I bought was a Galco, like this:
http://www.nelsontactical.com/store/4463-7861-large/galco-triton-kydex-iwb-holster-colt-3-1911-right-handed.jpg

But now I make them.

Bren
02-07-2013, 19:52
IIRC, it makes for easier reloading. But I could be wrong.

Still not faster than a speedloader and j-frame speedloaders fit in the watch pocket of my jeans.

countrygun
02-07-2013, 20:57
For the OP - a 6 round speed strip with 5 rounds (leaving 1 hole open) is what a lot of people carry for reloads for a 5 round revolver. That extra space where the 6th round would go helps hold on to and makes a full 5 round reload easier.

^^^^^^^

This

bac1023
02-07-2013, 21:12
:needspics:

fnfalman
02-07-2013, 21:27
Still not faster than a speedloader and j-frame speedloaders fit in the watch pocket of my jeans.

I have speed strips too but they're really for carrying extra ammo in the boondocks. A J-frame speedloader or two fits nicely into the pocket.

DEE50
02-07-2013, 23:58
The last one I bought was a Galco, like this:
http://www.nelsontactical.com/store/4463-7861-large/galco-triton-kydex-iwb-holster-colt-3-1911-right-handed.jpg

But now I make them.

Do you make and sell them? I'd be interested. :faint:

Berto
02-08-2013, 04:48
Congrats on the 60, Even the basic Uncle Mikes #0 works nicely for general IWB use. I like HKS speedloaders for carry....they're tougher and don't accidentally get released like others can.
Practice lots with this gun. They are good weapons for most things, but they are harder to learn if you're new to DA revolvers.

Bren
02-08-2013, 05:55
Do you make and sell them? I'd be interested. :faint:

I'd like to, but I rarely have the time to make them for myself.

http://www.fewpb.net/~brenn/holster.JPG

I made this holster and mag pouch. It's just a simple design like the Galco, above, but I closed the muzzle end, then added an extension on the outside to lower where the gun rides in my belt and added a piece on the inside between the gun and my skin and it's made out of heavy leather, like an OWB holster, but with the smooth side in.

All it takes is some leather, a belt clip, some thread and a couple of leather sewing needles and a stitching punch or 2.

byf43
02-08-2013, 07:26
Don Hume H715-M W.C. (with clip) holster.

While I don't have one for my mdl 60, I do have one for G19 and G26. (Nice holster!!) The extra strip of leather around the top, holds the holster open after you draw, to make re-holstering easier!

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=35

OWB:

The Bianchi "Remedy" holster is very close-fitting and conceals well.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bianchi-remedy-holster-model-57.html

Galco "Stinger".
Really nice holster. Holds tight against the body and secures the weapon nicely.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/1086120.uts?WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd

DEE50
02-08-2013, 09:34
I'm right handed, would LH or RH Holster be best?

DEE50
02-08-2013, 09:36
Congrats on the 60, Even the basic Uncle Mikes #0 works nicely for general IWB use. I like HKS speedloaders for carry....they're tougher and don't accidentally get released like others can.
Practice lots with this gun. They are good weapons for most things, but they are harder to learn if you're new to DA revolvers.

Is this what we be talking about? :faint:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncle-MikeS-Inside-The-Pant-Holster-2-3-Barrel-Right-Hand-Size-0-89001-/390500635780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aeba6d484

Bren
02-08-2013, 10:49

That's also the reason I prefer HKS for carry. The Safariland with the huge handle that use spring pressure to shoot the ammo in on contact with the cylinder are faster for competition, but for the same reason they tend to shoot your ammo out on the ground sometimes.

fnfalman
02-08-2013, 10:53
Bren,

I do have a couple of Safariland (I think that they're Safariland anyway) spring loaded speedloaders and the push button is small. Nonetheless I prefer the simple knob of the HKS for pocket carry just for the lesser probability of accidental release.

DEE50
02-08-2013, 11:09
That's also the reason I prefer HKS for carry. The Safariland with the huge handle that use spring pressure to shoot the ammo in on contact with the cylinder are faster for competition, but for the same reason they tend to shoot your ammo out on the ground sometimes.

What's the name of the HKS speedloader that is compatible with model 60? :dunno:

Bren
02-08-2013, 13:41
What's the name of the HKS speedloader that is compatible with model 60? :dunno:

HKS 36
(the model number of the blue version of a mod.60)

DEE50
02-09-2013, 11:14
Galco is sold out on most RH IWB Mod 60 Holsters.
I'm still not satisfied with what has been posted. More suggestions please.