Safeties on a 1911 -- share your preferences and why [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Safeties on a 1911 -- share your preferences and why

Gene Pool
02-07-2013, 16:09
My new SIG C3 is due to arrive tomorrow. It will be only the 16th 1911 in the stable but I plan to carry it much of the time, assuming it proves reliable.

One of the features that sold me on the C3 is the absence of an ambi sefety. Call me old fashioned if you wish, but I carry cocked-and-locked (in a leather holster) and prefer only one traditional size safety, on the traditional side of a 1911. Plus I prefer the safety to require "authoritative" pressure to disengage.

I have often wondered how others prefer the safety on 1911 carry guns, and why. Would you mind sharing your preferences and why?

Thank you,
Gene Pool

mrsurfboard
02-07-2013, 16:14
I don't like the ambi either. When I used to carry my 1911 off duty, sometimes the car seatbelt would disengage the safety. For a 1911 I just used at the range and didn't carry, I probably wouldn't care either way.

okie
02-07-2013, 16:23
I also dislike the ambi safety, and I carry cocked and locked with a round chambered, because it is 100% safe to do:thumbsup:

awpk03s
02-07-2013, 17:11
I'm a lefty, so I like the ambi. I have a Wilson Bulletproof ambi on my VBOB and it's a great part.

ronin.45
02-07-2013, 17:19
The ambi hits my knuckle so it's out for me.

faawrenchbndr
02-07-2013, 17:20
Do not care for an ambi-safety at all

ca survivor
02-07-2013, 17:29
being a right handed, do not like/need an ambi-safety

Jason D
02-07-2013, 17:33
The only safety I like on a 1911 is the GI one.

Rinspeed
02-07-2013, 18:03
Unless you're left handed ambi safeties are a very poor option.

happy seal
02-07-2013, 20:14
I am truely ambi. I mostly shoot righty but shoot just as well lefty. Lefty suits me well because I am left eye dominant. I love the ambi safety!

I am going for rotator cuff on my right shoulder so am really stoked I can switch up and carry lefty!

banger
02-07-2013, 20:26
The only safety I like on a 1911 is the GI one.

^^^^This X100^^^

Now, something that no one has mentioned yet.

Personally, I like a FIRM and positive engagements.
(nothing soft or mushy).

bac1023
02-07-2013, 20:59
Unless you're a lefty, there is no need for it.

Ruggles
02-07-2013, 21:09
Two of my last three 1911s have the amb safetyi, none of the others do. The Baer PII came with it and the Remington R1 does not. Those were bought off the shelf with the ambi. The last 1911 I ordered to my liking (12 months and waiting!) was the first one I had a ambi safety put on. Not sure why other than I just had a "urge" to have a ambi on it.

I really don't mind the ambi on the Baer, I have carried it and really do not see in my daily carry that a ambi would be a big hindrance. That being said if I was to order a new CCW 1911 it would be a single sided safety.

ancient_serpent
02-07-2013, 21:15
Don't think there's a need for it, but they don't bother me. If I ever replace the safety on either of my Kimbers, I'll probably go with a traditional, extended thumb safety.

mleroux21
02-07-2013, 21:17
If you are not left handed I find no need for an ambi safety. Even if my right arm was shot. I would still be fine with a strong side safety.

Marc

gunsmoke92
02-07-2013, 21:30
I originally thought they were cool, but I have a high grip and fat fingers that interfere when I disengage it, so they're gone. The standard works great for me.

fnfalman
02-08-2013, 02:20
I like the standard left side Colt thumb safety just fine. I don't find the need for extended safety lever of any kind. If anything, they get in the way and irk me more than help me. Some of my Colts come with those extended thingiemabobs and I just replaced them with the regular ones from the cheaper Colt models. Slim, out of the way but plenty enough for my thumb to positively engage it.

deadite
02-08-2013, 14:06
I like a single sided safety, but I either want a tiny original Colt style or one that's big enough to drape my thumb over.

Smaller extended safeties, like Wilson Combat, just force me to inadvertently drag my thumb on the slide when I shoot. If it's original Colt style, I shoot without my thumb on the safety. Thumb on the safety if it's a bigger one like Ed Brown...if that makes any sense.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

QNman
02-08-2013, 14:14
<snip> but I carry cocked-and-locked (in a leather holster) and prefer only one traditional size safety, on the traditional side of a 1911. Plus I prefer the safety to require "authoritative" pressure to disengage.

For a carry piece, this exactly. For a range piece, extended, but otherwise the same; single-sided (disassembly is easier) and "authoritative".

sna0403
02-08-2013, 15:07
I'm a leftie that learned the platform with only the standard safety. On a whim, I decided to try an ambi ($24.00 for the one from Rock Island with the sear pin) and now I won't go back. It didn't take long for the muscle memory to adapt and now I won't go back; just made an already wonderful platform that much more comfortable.

countrygun
02-08-2013, 19:05
I dislike an ambi greatly. Dragging through the "pucker brush and finding the safety disengaged itself is not nice. I didn't like it. With proper handling and the grip safety I wouldn't worry about safety, per say, but what about the hesitation when you try to wipe the safety off and get no tactile feedback? You might try a couple of times before realizing what happened. Not something I want to do when I need pistol in a hurry.

I never had a standard safety, with a positive "click" do that.

mnhogrider
02-09-2013, 08:25
My Springfield Loaded came with extended ambi safeties. I'm not left handed and I didn't like looking down the gun at "wings" so I got rid of them. Replaced with a standard GI safety.

Nakanokalronin
02-09-2013, 11:11
Single sided and extended since I shoot thumbs forward and ride my thumb on the lever.

rebby
02-09-2013, 11:18
I shoot ambi but HATE ambi-safeties. I outfit the majority of my guns with either Wilson Combat or Ed Brown single sided safeties and simply train to manipulate them with the trigger finger of my left hand when shooting lefty. It's really not that difficult and, if you train and practice, it becomes second nature.

jakebrake
02-09-2013, 11:20
i don't like ambi. i grew up with 1911s, and never had one until a couple years ago, and hated it so much i sold the gun.

skeeter7
02-12-2013, 02:15
I took the ambi safety off of my EMP as well just because it didn't seem right carrying with it. I was afraid the safety would snag on something and disengage when I didn't want it to. I swapped it out with an Ed Brown single sided tactical safety. All good.

PhotoFeller
02-12-2013, 02:48
I also dislike the ambi safety, and I carry cocked and locked with a round chambered, because it is 100% safe to do:thumbsup:

Ok, now I see you carry "locked".

banger
02-12-2013, 08:57
Condition 0?

No, actually a chambered round, cocked hammer and thumb safety applied is known as condition 1 (one).

Very safe if you are familiar with the system, and the way that many professional carry the 1911.

Condition zero is considered a empty chamber hammer down carry.

Those that use it frequently state a preference to "sling shot" the slide if needed.

PhotoFeller
02-12-2013, 09:33
No, actually a chambered round, cocked hammer and thumb safety applied is known as condition 1 (one).

Very safe if you are familiar with the system, and the way that many professional carry the 1911.

Condition zero is considered a empty chamber hammer down carry.

Those that use it frequently state a preference to "sling shot" the slide if needed.

I re-read Okie's post and realized he said "cocked and locked".

I asked my question because there is confusion sometimes when we talk about carry mode with the 1911 platform as compared to Glock pistols.

The traditional definitions from Cooper are:

Cooper favored the Colt M1911 and its variants. There are several conditions of readiness in which such a weapon can be carried. Cooper promulgated most of the following terms:
Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

No one in this thread practices C-0, and C-1 seems to be the preferred carry mode. This is contrary to the common carry mode for Glocks, which is a chambered round with no manual safety.

banger
02-12-2013, 09:54
I re-read Okie's post and realized he said "cocked and locked".

I asked my question because there is confusion sometimes when we talk about carry mode with the 1911 platform as compared to Glock pistols.

The traditional definitions from Cooper are:

Cooper favored the Colt M1911 and its variants. There are several conditions of readiness in which such a weapon can be carried. Cooper promulgated most of the following terms:
Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

No one in this thread practices C-0, so C-1 seems to be the preferred carry mode. This is contrary to the common carry mode for Glocks, which is a chambered round with no manual safety.

Truthfully, all of these names for the condition are simply at the mercy of the imagination of the author.

One author will call it one thing and another, something else entirely.

Sometimes names simply take on a life of their own and become accepted on a wide basis.

Think "Kleenex'", "Clorox", "Frigidaire" names that have become nearly universally accepted and understood by a wide range of the population.

Unfortunately, shooting is not as widely spoken about, so at times confusion prevails.

1canvas
02-12-2013, 11:25
for me I like the single side, slim and extended. that saftey is close to my side and protected. the ambi saftey is facing out which increases the risk of getting bumped off.

Wyoming
02-12-2013, 22:17
"No one in this thread practices C-0, and C-1 seems to be the preferred carry mode. This is contrary to the common carry mode for Glocks, which is a chambered round with no manual safety."

Actually C-1 is what Okie was referring to. I also carry my 1911 with a round in the camber with the safety on and a full magazine. The safety on the 1911 blocks the hammer. However I need the ambi safety because I am left handed.

The Glock DOES have a manual safety. It is in/on the trigger. When you pull the trigger you are moving the safety off just before you engage the trigger.

Zombie Steve
02-12-2013, 22:44
I don't care for an ambi safety. Just unnecessary for me. I do like an extended safety / ride my thumb on it when I shoot.

PhotoFeller
02-13-2013, 02:54
"No one in this thread practices C-0, and C-1 seems to be the preferred carry mode. This is contrary to the common carry mode for Glocks, which is a chambered round with no manual safety."

Actually C-1 is what Okie was referring to. I also carry my 1911 with a round in the camber with the safety on and a full magazine. The safety on the 1911 blocks the hammer. However I need the ambi safety because I am left handed.

The Glock DOES have a manual safety. It is in/on the trigger. When you pull the trigger you are moving the safety off just before you engage the trigger.

Thanks. I corrected my post after re-reading Okie's statement.

My 1911s have single side safety. The ambi setup just seems like unnecessary hardware, at least for me.

I really like the 1911 style manual safety, and I wish Glock provided that option. The Glock trigger 'safety', which disengages when the trigger is depressed, doesn't stop the trigger from being inadvertently pulled. The 1911 safety does prevent the gun from being accidentally fired; thats why I like it and thats why 1911 owners want it. Thats why I'd like it on my Glocks.

fnfalman
02-13-2013, 11:51
Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer preferred Condition 0.

Wyoming
02-13-2013, 21:46
Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer preferred Condition 0.

"Scooter"

Mike Hammer isn't a real person so carrying a 1911 with a live round under the hammer with the safety off does not count because no real person can get hurt. I think they call it "literary license" to be stupid.:rofl: