Who likes the Exeter Sig Sauer P226R ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who likes the Exeter Sig Sauer P226R ?

ArmoryDoc
02-08-2013, 21:19
Doing some Sig shopping and I am really liking the Sig lineup. Not a huge fan of rails but I am an afficiando of Sig products. What say you about the current Sig P226 railed guns ? I used to have a non-railed West German P226 back in the early 90's but like a dummy, sold it. Todays gun a solid buy ? :wavey:

Tmoney33
02-08-2013, 21:23
I picked up a Sig P226 Scorpion a couple weeks ago. Love it. The SRT trigger is very nice. I would check summitgunbroker.com as Mark got some more Sigs in and his prices can't be beat.

mr00jimbo
02-08-2013, 21:28
I think that a lot of people will say they prefer the West German model. My German model Sig had an excellent trigger and workmanship. However, I just paid full retail for an MK25, which seems to be getting excellent reviews. I know it's gimmicky and I usually fault Sig for its gimmicks, but I believe people are generally happy with their P226R made in NH.

I voted with my wallet for a UU-serial number Sig P226R.
Some people will claim to only like the German ones.

ArmoryDoc
02-08-2013, 21:54
Looks like a lot of online reviews in favor in the newer ones. There are some obvious differences visually from the older West German models. I handled a UU model today and it felt really great.

bac1023
02-08-2013, 22:05
They aren't for me, but are solid guns.

ArmoryDoc
02-08-2013, 22:10
They aren't for me, but are solid guns.

Just curious, what do you not like about them ? The rails ? I know you aren't a rail guy. :wavey:

itisbruno
02-08-2013, 22:11
I think that a lot of people will say they prefer the West German model. My German model Sig had an excellent trigger and workmanship. However, I just paid full retail for an MK25, which seems to be getting excellent reviews. I know it's gimmicky and I usually fault Sig for its gimmicks, but I believe people are generally happy with their P226R made in NH.

I voted with my wallet for a UU-serial number Sig P226R.
Some people will claim to only like the German ones.

How you like the MK25?

I'm not a rail guy, so I'll stick with my W. German friends.

crazymoose
02-08-2013, 22:14
Most of their new models seem geared toward pimps and mall ninjas, but the classic guns are still pretty decent, if overpriced. SIG seems to be slowly getting the QC bugs worked out from the drastic cost-cutting measures put into place when Cohen took over.

Rinspeed
02-08-2013, 22:40
I don't have much use for rails and definitely prefer the older Sigs. :dunno:

HKLovingIT
02-08-2013, 22:54
Most of their new models seem geared toward pimps and mall ninjas, but the classic guns are still pretty decent, if overpriced. SIG seems to be slowly getting the QC bugs worked out from the drastic cost-cutting measures put into place when Cohen took over.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

They sure do make a right purdy pimp gun these days. Then there are the diamond plate models. That really had me scratching my head. :dunno:

ArmoryDoc
02-08-2013, 23:37
Yeah, the Diamond Plate version is about ridiculous.

wolf19r
02-09-2013, 00:02
I bought a P226 navy not the new mk25 model last year and its a nice quality and shoots great. I dont mind the rail on it and I picked it up for $650 or 700 I dont remember brand new with the 3 15 round mags.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

willieH
02-09-2013, 07:35
Doing some Sig shopping and I am really liking the Sig lineup. Not a huge fan of rails but I am an afficiando of Sig products. What say you about the current Sig P226 railed guns ? I used to have a non-railed West German P226 back in the early 90's but like a dummy, sold it. Todays gun a solid buy ? :wavey:

Is the German stamped/folded internal extractor slide different from the milled American external extractor slide? Yes.
Is the stamped steel slide more prone to rust? Yes
Have there been problems with internal extractor on German slides? Yes
Have there been problems with the early model external extractors? Yes
Have there been reported cracking in P226 1986-7 modified "mud rail" models? Yes
Is the milled stainless steel slide stronger than the stamped slide? Yes.
Do the German have a longer hammer spring and stacking DA trigger pull? Yes.
Do some feel that American quality standards are lacking? Yes

My point: there are no perfect machines or manufacturers and design/production/QA faults will be identified. However, in my experience with my Sigs-- their performance has been flawless and I have been able to achieve better accuracy with the P226 and P220.

Do I think the current P226 a solid buy? Yes
Will I change my opinion after 10,000 rounds? Maybe.
Does the company stand behind it product? Yes
Will I buy another Sig? Yes-I'm interested in a P227.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/22/Sig2661911220_zpsaaca6f3d.jpg

G26S239
02-09-2013, 09:08
My P229R 40 is just about 7.5 years old. Runs great and accurate. My P229 9mm Tutone is 6 months newer without the rail and likewise is accurate and reliable. As willieH pointed out the good old days when all Sigs were perfect is a myth. All of my Sigs, 5 that I still own and 3 that I don't, were 1998 to 2008 manufacture and all have been trouble free.

Bruce M
02-09-2013, 11:56
If I wanted another P226 I would seriously consider these http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1470594

willieH
02-09-2013, 12:33

I assume that you disapprove of a company identifying a market niche and gearing their products to fulfill that need. I've seen lots of smaller guns & pink grips that various makers are offering to appeal to a growing group of women seeking firearms.

When you say "overpriced" are you speaking of production cost vs sticker or in comparison to other pistols? The most overpriced popular guns are Glocks- actual manufacturing costs to sales price.

When Ron Cohen joined Sigarms Inc. in 2004, the company was in poor financial shape and close to bankruptcy. The "drastic cost-cutting measures" and mass firings of upper management was essential to revitalizing a failing company. Under Cohen's leadership along with the new team he encouraged innovation and flexibility to quickly bring new products to the market. These "Rainbow" and "Diamond Plate" pistols may appeal to a different market segment than traditional gun people, but efforts to capture new groups of firearm enthusiast is part of Sig's customer driven vision. A look at Sig's discontinued products page (http://www.sigsauer.com/Catalog/discontinued-products.aspx) tells you that not all of their ideas were successful.

Since Cohen, Sig Sauer Inc., has grown over four times and consolidated the (previously outsourced) engineering and manufacturing functions in Exeter, New Hampshire. When one in three LE professionals in the USA uses a Sig, then the reputation for reliability must be valid.

hoghunter82
02-09-2013, 12:52
Very well written. I need to dip my foot in the Sig pool one day. Never owned one but have been close many times.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Beretta92guy
02-09-2013, 14:01
im a long-time sig fan...but one thing i DON'T like are the new "skinny" triggers they put on all of them now.....

MarcDW
02-09-2013, 15:42
While the management and CS of "SIG what ever US" does not deserve any respect, the P226 in any form is a good gun.

collim1
02-09-2013, 17:38
I would still buy a new production Sig. My 2010 model P220R has proven itself to be a real trooper. Extremely reliable and accurate.

mr00jimbo
02-09-2013, 17:39
How you like the MK25?

I'm not a rail guy, so I'll stick with my W. German friends.

I haven't received it yet. Hopefully by Monday. It's in the mail right now (tracking its progress online)

03Cobra
02-09-2013, 18:27
no failures here; not a glock, but a great shooter for sure. I've never owned a German version but I don't know how they could be any better.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/10/8e3eqa2y.jpg

Rancher
02-09-2013, 19:32
I own two P226 Sigs both in 9mm, just looked at the one by my bed and it only has one "U" before the serial no. and is around 6 years old. Says frame made in Germany. It has a tail while my other does not. Both were bought around the same time and the one with the beavertail has a steel guide rod and the other has a plastic one. Both are awesome shooters and have been 100% with not quite 1k rounds through them. Mostly WWB.

I like the rail. Got an old M3 Streamlight on the one by my bed. Heavy as hell but can beat someone to death with it if I go dry, but with 39 rounds to use with one mag change doubt that will happen. It also has the SRT which is sweet. The "skinny" triggers someone mentioned are called "short triggers" and can be changed out. Think they were made for people with smaller hands? For whatever reason the SRT models I have seen has them.

I would not like it on my hip all day due to the weight but it's perfect for the nightstand. Prefer a G17 on the farm. The Sigs are too pretty to get beat up while working!

Rancher

crazymoose
02-09-2013, 23:51
I assume that you disapprove of a company identifying a market niche and gearing their products to fulfill that need. I've seen lots of smaller guns & pink grips that various makers are offering to appeal to a growing group of women seeking firearms.

When you say "overpriced" are you speaking of production cost vs sticker or in comparison to other pistols? The most overpriced popular guns are Glocks- actual manufacturing costs to sales price.

When Ron Cohen joined Sigarms Inc. in 2004, the company was in poor financial shape and close to bankruptcy. The "drastic cost-cutting measures" and mass firings of upper management was essential to revitalizing a failing company. Under Cohen's leadership along with the new team he encouraged innovation and flexibility to quickly bring new products to the market. These "Rainbow" and "Diamond Plate" pistols may appeal to a different market segment than traditional gun people, but efforts to capture new groups of firearm enthusiast is part of Sig's customer driven vision. A look at Sig's discontinued products page (http://www.sigsauer.com/Catalog/discontinued-products.aspx) tells you that not all of their ideas were successful.

Since Cohen, Sig Sauer Inc., has grown over four times and consolidated the (previously outsourced) engineering and manufacturing functions in Exeter, New Hampshire. When one in three LE professionals in the USA uses a Sig, then the reputation for reliability must be valid.

Cohen is an effective businessman, I will say that, and his business model takes advantage of a reality in the firearms marketplace: most gun purchasers do not do much shooting. Building guns to far exceed the demands which most shooters will place upon them does not make much business sense. Similarly, it is cheaper to cut quality-control corners and rectify, via warranty, the mistakes that slip through than it is to stringently test them all. However, those who shoot higher round counts, and those who are more likely than the general public to have to defend themselves with these guns have generally not been pleased by the bumps along the road in the transition. While the switch to a machined stainless slide is a welcome change (as rust and broken breech-block pins are no longer concerns), the issues with breakage of outsourced MIM parts is a problem virtually unknown with the West German guns. As I said, SIG seems to be bringing these problems under control, but the horror stories of things like takedown levers snapping off of guns that have been hardly fired have tarnished the brand's reputation in a way that will take time to undo.

The teething problems of the P250, along with the debacles of the Air Marshals' adoption of the pistol, its refusal by the ATF (and SIG's objection to the decision that the ATF placed too much emphasis on reliability), and the Dutch dumping the pistol only worsens the perception of slipping standards.

Link to ATF report: http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm

As for the much diversified product line, that's SIG's business prerogative, but, to turn a phrase on its head, when one door opens, another closes. The more colorful offerings may attract newer and casual shooters, but a lot of people see it as an indication that the company's philosophy has changed, and that SIG is no longer a company whose sole focus is accurate, boringly reliable duty guns.

My opinion of SIG is actually not nearly as harsh as this diatribe suggests. Like I said, the machined slides are a good move. They seem to have now found MIM parts vendors who can deliver decent parts. The SRT trigger is a fantastic solution to one of my biggest gripes with SIG pistols- the very long trigger reset. I really like the fact that SAO models are coming out.

My opinion, for whatever it's worth, is that SIG should drop the shiny guns, put the SRT trigger in all of their DA guns, stop putting beavertails and rails on everything, and adopt H&K's draconian approach to QC.

86brick
02-10-2013, 00:03
I have not had any issues with my Exeter made SIG P226R. Shoots accurately, reliable with several different brands of ammo, including hollow points. Frankly, considering the rust issues I've heard about with the older German models I am happy I purchased a new SIG with the stainless slide. Having said that, any company can and likely will have quality control issues from time to time, but as long as they are willing to take care of the issues they are good in my book.

RJ's Guns
02-10-2013, 00:49
stop putting beavertails and rails on everything.

I like beavertails on my pistols. I have a P229 Elite Dark 40 S&W and a P226 Elite Dark 9mm with beavertails and I like them better than my P226 & P229 without beavertails.

I have beavertails on most all of my 1911 style pistols.

Although I have not attached anything to the rails on my Sig pistols, I like having the rails in case I change my mind. I have not found any down side to a rail on a Sig pistol.

RJ

PS I just picked up a Sig P224 DA/SA SAS 40 S&W. It is a very nice pistol and it is about the same size and weight as my H&K P2000SK. As soon as I get my holster from High Noon, the Sig P224 will be added to my concealed carry rotation.

fnfalman
02-10-2013, 06:10
If you have to have a brand new P226, then at least go with the German import X-5 version.

silversport
02-10-2013, 06:17
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a current made SiG Sauer pistol if you found one with the combination of features YOU want...that is the difficult thing today...SO many options or features that it may be difficult to find what you want...

I'm not a big fan of rails either but I recently traded for a mint SiG P226 SCT...other than the rail, it came with a night sight rear and Fiber Optic front sight...traditional DA/SA with the old style trigger (but, horrors no, MiM) and SiG marked +2 magazines...I have a 357 SiG barrel in it but also have the original .40 S&W barrel...it's trigger is every bit as nice as any of my German and W. German made pistols...if not a touch smoother and lighter...

Bill

DocwithGlock
02-10-2013, 11:20
If you have to have a brand new P226, then at least go with the German import X-5 version.

That's what I did. I still would not hesitate to get one of the NH ones. Plan on getting a 227 when they come out and I am still going to get a 226R with the SRT trigger soon.

I live about ten minutes from the Sig Pro Shop in NH and I know several employees of the company. I was never a Sig guy until I walked into their candy shop! It's nice to see all of their models (except that diamond plate nightmare) and get to compare them side by side.

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2013, 11:34
Wow, the decisions. LOL. I kick myself for selling that West German years ago, when I was young and dumber. ;)

hoghunter82
02-10-2013, 15:12
So these German X5. I have zero Sig experience. Are these necessarily that much better? What do they do in Germany that can't be done in Exeter? Serious question. I don't mind spending $ on quality, but since there is no way to find an X5 in a range case what makes them stand apart from say a 226 Dark Elite?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

grumpy1
02-10-2013, 19:45
The German X-FIVE come out of the Master Shop in German and have some hand fitting done on them and you pay for it. Most of them also have stainless steel frames, are an inch or so longer than the regular P226, have a heavy walled barrel, much heavier, and have internal extractor (with rare exceptions) that are actually more problematic than the external extractor on the regular P226. IMO they are worth it but the Exter made P226s are awesome pistols also and I would not hesitate to get another one if I wanted another P226 and in particular would like a Tacops P226 9MM.

If you check out the Police Link reviews on the P226 you will see overwhelmingly postitive reviews from 239 voters who own, use, or are issued a P226 and I would bet almost all of them are Exter since first review was 2007. Certainly does not look to be a problematic P226 to me and from my experiences. Buy an Exter P226 with confidence.

http://policelink.monster.com/products/products/257-sig-sauer-p226

Rancher
02-11-2013, 09:36
I forgot to add that I'd wait if you decide on one. Right now the mags are crazy expensive. Hopefully the crap blows over and prices come back down. Even during "normal" times Sig mags are pretty expensie as far as magazines go so keep that in mind when buying. Mec Gars as you may know are same as factory but right now any Sig mag that holds over 10 rounds is gonna cost ya' big.

Rancher

ArmoryDoc
02-11-2013, 10:30
Well, I made a decision after handling some Sigs. Here she is. P226R with the E2 grips. With my shorter fingers the E2 grips really put me right there on the trigger where I need to be. I've not fired it yet however it did get the cursory breakdown, cleaning and lube they need prior to the first trip. I think I'm really liking this gun so far. A range trip will be the final confirmation. :)

Now I'm jonesing for a P229. ;)

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/QjQ0N0Q3MzA5MUM5NkVCRTNCMDc6ZTJlYjI1MDdjOTVlNDMyZThjYzY5ZmMzNjEyODBhZGQ=?uid=0d371510-79aa-4a27-85af-fe761729b880
https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/QjQ0N0Q3MzA5MUM5NkVCRTNCMDc6NWY3NWEzM2ExMTJlNzc4ZWEwODA5MjcxNDU5NWViYTU=?uid=a3c8b5bf-3821-4def-abec-f1f4143eff04

moonwilson
02-11-2013, 10:57
I have an Exeter made P226 E2, and it is good to go. I didn't care for the new "enhanced ergonomic" grip, ditched that and put a nice set of G10 VZ grips on instead. I have had zero malfunctions with anything I've put through it. The SRT trigger is great. I don't need the rail, but don't mind it. The sights are great. It's a big, fairly heavy gun, and like the Beretta, is probably bigger than it needs to be for what it does. The size and weight make it a *****cat to shoot. There is hardly any recoil, you can shoot the thing comfortably all day long.

I own several Exeter made SIGs, and have been happy with them all.

ColdSteelNail
02-11-2013, 11:01
I got one of the first P226R made in Exeter with the UU serial number. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's reliable accurate and has a great trigger. I've owned other Sigs and there is no difference in quality from the German models as far as I am concerned.

ArmoryDoc
02-11-2013, 11:03
I like the looks of the standard grips better but the feel of the E2's are for me, where it's at. Not being real experienced with the Sig lineup, I presume mine does not have the SRT ? From what I've seen, those are a thinner trigger. The trigger mechanics on this gun are really good as is.

ArmoryDoc
02-11-2013, 11:06
Oh, and by the way. What the heck is that odd, polymer T-handle "tool" with approx. 4" rod attached that came with the gun ? I suppose I could read the manual, LOL.

ca survivor
02-11-2013, 11:15
I have German and Exeter made Sigs, I can't tell the difference.

series1811
02-11-2013, 11:23
I have German and Exeter made Sigs, I can't tell the difference.

Me, too. I've owned five six Sigs counting the P226R I bought in November. Two were W. German P226's. I also had a W. GErman P226 issued to me. My new P226R doesn't really seem any different to me than them, or to the P228 and the P229 I was issued.

They all have different trigger pulls than my two P239's, though, which I have never liked as much.

moonwilson
02-11-2013, 11:32
Oh, and by the way. What the heck is that odd, polymer T-handle "tool" with approx. 4" rod attached that came with the gun ? I suppose I could read the manual, LOL.

The T-handle tool is to remove the "enhanced ergo" one piece grip. You stick the "T" part up in the mag well and twist, and the grip pops off.

grumpy1
02-11-2013, 17:33
Nice P226 ArmyDoc - you will love it. Congrats!! :cool:

I think you are confusing SRT - short reset trigger with the short reach trigger. I know confusing as heck. The base models generally don't have the short reset trigger which is no big deal for me as none of my SIGs have it. The short reach trigger is just a skinnier trigger.

grumpy1
02-11-2013, 17:35
I forgot to add that I'd wait if you decide on one. Right now the mags are crazy expensive. Hopefully the crap blows over and prices come back down. Even during "normal" times Sig mags are pretty expensie as far as magazines go so keep that in mind when buying. Mec Gars as you may know are same as factory but right now any Sig mag that holds over 10 rounds is gonna cost ya' big.

Rancher

In my experience P226 mags are pretty cheap in normal times. I bought a bunch of the 18 round flush fit Mecgars for about $21 a piece and they normally run just a few bucks more than that. From here on out who knows what to expect.

collim1
02-11-2013, 17:55
Wow, the decisions. LOL. I kick myself for selling that West German years ago, when I was young and dumber. ;)

I bet. They are not as easy to come by as they used to be. People that have them are hanging onto them, and the few used ones I do see these days look like they have been drug down the highway behind a truck.

Rinspeed
02-11-2013, 18:23
So these German X5. I have zero Sig experience. Are these necessarily that much better?

The X-5 L1 is one of the very most accurate auto loaders made partly because of the world class trigger and partly because of the almost non-existent recoil. You can tell even by dry firing that the thing is going to hit what you're aiming at because the trigger is so smooth.

NEOH212
02-11-2013, 18:29
I love mine. No problems to speak of with it and that's with over 1,500 rounds down range with my newest one. I have many thousands of rounds through them all over the years with no major issues.

Exeter Sigs are as good and in many ways better than the German produced Sigs.

mr00jimbo
02-11-2013, 20:06
My stainless Sig says "Frame made in Germany" which I guess means balance made in Exeter.
My MK25 is 100% USA made.
Both are great, excellent fit and finish.
http://imageshack.us/a/img600/8558/091hj.jpg

G26S239
02-11-2013, 20:09
Well, I made a decision after handling some Sigs. Here she is. P226R with the E2 grips. With my shorter fingers the E2 grips really put me right there on the trigger where I need to be. I've not fired it yet however it did get the cursory breakdown, cleaning and lube they need prior to the first trip. I think I'm really liking this gun so far. A range trip will be the final confirmation. :)

Now I'm jonesing for a P229. ;)

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/QjQ0N0Q3MzA5MUM5NkVCRTNCMDc6ZTJlYjI1MDdjOTVlNDMyZThjYzY5ZmMzNjEyODBhZGQ=?uid=0d371510-79aa-4a27-85af-fe761729b880
https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/QjQ0N0Q3MzA5MUM5NkVCRTNCMDc6NWY3NWEzM2ExMTJlNzc4ZWEwODA5MjcxNDU5NWViYTU=?uid=a3c8b5bf-3821-4def-abec-f1f4143eff04
Great choice. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

ArmoryDoc
02-11-2013, 22:55
Thanks for the replies guys. Nice hand cannons jimbo. ;)

series1811
02-12-2013, 09:35

It took me a little while to figure it out when I got mine. At first I thought it was a cleaning rod of some sort, then I though maybe it was to hold the thing open for display. I almost threw it away before I started to take the grips off one day and noticed that the screws I assumed were covered with plugs, just weren't there. :supergrin:

fnfalman
02-12-2013, 16:12
Consider how SIG America screwed up their rifles line and putting out Colt clones like the M1911 style and now the P238 style...I think that I will put my trust in the Swiss and the Germans.

I'll leave the checker plate/FDE/Earthtone/Zombie/Rainbow American guns to those who are more avant garde than me. I like my Teutonic guns made by the Teutons.

fnfalman
02-12-2013, 16:46
For those who think that the American shop came out with the solid SS slide design, think again. The machined SS slide design came from the Sport and ST series, which were introduced on SIGs that were made in Germany.