Trapezoid Sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trapezoid Sights?

Kalmah
02-10-2013, 11:46
Went shooting yesterday with a buddy who just got a new Steyr M9-A1 pistol. The Steyr has trapezoid rear sights with a triangle front post. I loved that set up. For me, it provided a much better sight picture than traditional sights.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/m40-sightpic.jpg

I'd love to be able to find sights like those for some of my handguns. I looked around a bit and was able to find some sights that were similar, but not any that were close enough for my liking.

Does anyone one know of any place that sells Steyr-like sights for other pistols?

Kalmah
02-11-2013, 17:34
Nothing out there?

ctfireman
02-11-2013, 17:37
I looked around quite a bit when i got my Steyr & fell in love with the sight system. I never found the same setup but it was years ago.

collim1
02-11-2013, 17:40
These are the closest I know of.

http://www.suresight.com/

I have never tried them, and don't care for that sight style personally, but I remember these getting some talk a few years.

WayneJessie
02-11-2013, 19:43
Went shooting yesterday with a buddy who just got a new Steyr M9-A1 pistol. The Steyr has trapezoid rear sights with a triangle front post. I loved that set up. For me, it provided a much better sight picture than traditional sights.

I'd love to be able to find sights like those for some of my handguns. I looked around a bit and was able to find some sights that were similar, but not any that were close enough for my liking.

Does anyone one know of any place that sells Steyr-like sights for other pistols?

I purchased my first Styer S9-A1 several months ago. At first I though the trap sights were just a "gimmick" but found out not so. That front sight is way quicker for me to pick up with my somewhat older eyes. If anyone made a set of tritium traps I would buy them now. The M,C,SA1 series of pistols are the first polymer gun I have ever picked up that felt like the were carved out of one single piece. Mr.Bubits did a good job with the Steyr and Caracal designs. Hopefully, someone will offer a set of trapazoidal night sights as Steyr sells more pistols in the US market.

ESAFO
02-12-2013, 07:15
a few weeks ago when i went into my friends shop he said try this 1 out, so he goes to the case & pulls 1 of these out for me see.
the very 1rst time & everytime after i raised it to site & shoot, the sites seemed to automatically align without even thinking about it.
personally for me it was fantastic & i'm a huge fan of those sites, it seems to make your time for response so much quicker.

aircarver
02-12-2013, 07:29
Got 'em on my Steyr.

Don't like 'em.

Too difficult to judge precise vertical impact location.

Prefer three dot.

farmer-dave
02-12-2013, 08:33
I've always wanted to try a set of those suresights.

Kalmah
02-13-2013, 20:28
I purchased my first Styer S9-A1 several months ago. At first I though the trap sights were just a "gimmick" but found out not so. That front sight is way quicker for me to pick up with my somewhat older eyes. If anyone made a set of tritium traps I would buy them now. The M,C,SA1 series of pistols are the first polymer gun I have ever picked up that felt like the were carved out of one single piece. Mr.Bubits did a good job with the Steyr and Caracal designs. Hopefully, someone will offer a set of trapazoidal night sights as Steyr sells more pistols in the US market.
What do you think of your S9-A1? If I was going to get a Steyr (and I just might if I could find one), that's what I would get.

Kalmah
02-13-2013, 20:29

I have never tried them, and don't care for that sight style personally, but I remember these getting some talk a few years.
I saw those when I was looking around. Not sure they're exactly what I want, but I may break down and give them a try.

Kenpo
02-13-2013, 20:40
Suresight is no longer doing business. Not sure why the website is still up. The last I heard was they took money for orders and never sent them out. I had a set on my G26 and they worked well but the paint started to flake off plus they were not true night sights.

unit1069
02-13-2013, 22:34
What do you think of your S9-A1? If I was going to get a Steyr (and I just might if I could find one), that's what I would get.

I own an S9-A1 and here are my thoughts: The grip is just long enough to get all fingers on board, the issue that kept me from buying a baby Glock. Capacity of 10+1 is great for a small pistol, and after three FTEs in the first 70 rounds it's been perfect with every FMJ and JHP ammo put through it. (Have about 700 rounds through it to date) Fit and finish are top quality and good trigger. Heavier than I like but the build seems substantial, lending gravitas to the pistol. Too bad Steyr quit making .357sig or I'd have one in the same size. I can't say the trapezoid sights do anything for me but I think mine may need some adjustment.

unit1069
02-13-2013, 22:41

To be accurate with my Steyr I have to place the front sight tip where it's barely showing at the bottom of the rear sight. Is there any easy way to adjust it so it looks like the sight picture in this photo?

I'm not good with delicate maneuvers and I understand it's very easy to mess up a nice gun when trying to adjust sights. Any help is greatly appreciated.

WayneJessie
02-13-2013, 23:58

It is the most ergonomic compact carry gun I have. The build quality is above any other compact I have as well. I had some issues at first with FTE but Steyr updated the extractor and it's been good to go since. The low bore axis makes the gun a joy to shoot all day long. It's somewhat heavier than other compacts in it's class but if you look at the guts of it you'll know why. Built like a tank.

ilgunguygt
02-14-2013, 00:41
i saw some sights like that for glock a few years ago, like around 2008. They claimed it was the next big thing. Havent seen any since, lol.

unit1069
02-14-2013, 11:16
It is the most ergonomic compact carry gun I have. The build quality is above any other compact I have as well. I had some issues at first with FTE but Steyr updated the extractor and it's been good to go since. The low bore axis makes the gun a joy to shoot all day long. It's somewhat heavier than other compacts in it's class but if you look at the guts of it you'll know why. Built like a tank.

Rugers usually get that description but the Steyr certainly seems to me just as sturdy, and much better looking in my opinion.

Glocktex
02-14-2013, 22:33
Look at the advantage tactical sights

WayneJessie
02-15-2013, 11:34
Rugers usually get that description but the Steyr certainly seems to me just as sturdy, and much better looking in my opinion.

I have a SR9C as well and with the 10 round mag in the grip does not feel as "right" as the Steyr S9-A1. All of that changes when I slap the 17 round mag in the Ruger though:embarassed:. The Ruger isn't finished to the same level as the Steyr but it has been absolutely 100% with any and every ammo I put in it. That counts for alot in a CCW.

coastal4974
02-17-2013, 20:10

I clicked on "GO" for theGlock night sights and they said they are closed for the season. :rofl: