Cleaning kit suggestions... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning kit suggestions...

ratf51
02-10-2013, 15:03
I am looking to put together 2-3 simple, portable cleaning kits. One to ride in the buttstock of an AR (Magpul MOE rifle stock), one to carry when hunting (.30 cal. rifle and usually a .22 handgun), and one to go in an emergency bag/get home bag (.40 S&W handgun.) Am I better off to throw in a boresnake and a small bottle of CLP on these or buy a small preconfigured kit? Should I stick with the standard AR cleaning kit that came with one of my ARs or is their a better option? We are talking field cleaning here, not a full blown detail cleaning. I am looking for something small, simple, and expedient. Any recommendations inclusive of recommended lubes/cleaners?

(I utilized my weak "search-fu" on this topic but found no similar thread. If I am duplicating an earlier thread, my apologies; and give me a link. Thanks in advance!) :wavey:

byf43
02-10-2013, 16:44
I've got several cleaning kits.

For your AR, configure a kit that will fit in your buttstock.
(I haven't.)
I have a cleaning kit built from a USGI 'kit', and have both .223 and .308/.30-'06 cleaning rods and bore brushes/chamber brushes, and patches.

The ONE cleaning kit that I really like, is the OTIS Cleaning Kit.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

bustedknee
02-10-2013, 16:51
1. A bore-snake in the proper caliber.
2. A small brush for those hard to reach areas.
3. A small bottle of CLP (Breakfree).
3. A small cloth.
4. A small screwdriver.

You said cleaning kit. Not repair kit.
A repair kit will be more specialized per the gun.

collim1
02-10-2013, 16:58
I keep a 1oz dropper bottle of CLP, .22 Boresnake, front sight tool, an old toothbrush I cut the handle off of, a chamber brush in a plastic tube to keep from crushing the bristles, and a small rag in my buttstock. I stuff the rag in on top to silence any rattling.

During extended shooting sessions its nice to be able to swap the bore and apply a few drops of CLP to the witness holes during a break.

ratf51
02-10-2013, 17:45
You said cleaning kit. Not repair kit.
A repair kit will be more specialized per the gun.

Yes. Cleaning kit. I had not thought of including a small screwdriver, though. I would normally have either a Leatherman or a Swiss Army Knife on me but there is nothing wrong with some redundancy. Thanks.

ratf51
02-10-2013, 17:52
I keep a 1oz dropper bottle of CLP, .22 Boresnake, front sight tool, an old toothbrush I cut the handle off of, a chamber brush in a plastic tube to keep from crushing the bristles, and a small rag in my buttstock. I stuff the rag in on top to silence any rattling.

During extended shooting sessions its nice to be able to swap the bore and apply a few drops of CLP to the witness holes during a break.

Old sawed-off toothbrush (I hope it's a legal length)-- alright, added to the list of potentials.

Mudshark100
02-10-2013, 18:40
I've got several cleaning kits.

The ONE cleaning kit that I really like, is the OTIS Cleaning Kit.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've started using the Otis system for my AR and have been pleased with it. Packs up compact and fits in the range bag with no problems.

collim1
02-10-2013, 21:38
Old sawed-off toothbrush (I hope it's a legal length)-- alright, added to the list of potentials.

They haven't restricted them...yet.