Aftermarket Iron sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Iron sights

Hole Shot
02-10-2013, 19:38
I'm researching fully adjustable "peep" style iron sights. I intend to put them on a bolt rifle. Anyone have any experience with NECG or Williams that has an opinion on one over the other? The front site will be hooded and like I said, I'd prefer a military style peep on the rear.

If possible, I'd like to have the rear mounted to the left of the scope on the action permitting the rifle to be canted slightly (not 90*) to the right to use the irons. I see AR's set up this way with sights to the right (and using a left cant), but to the right seems more natural to me.

ak103k
02-10-2013, 19:45
I have a NECG rear peep that was on my Ruger 77/357. It was only on there a short while. Sight is well made, but adjustments are a pain, and rather fiddly.

The one I have is meant to go on the Ruger ring mounts on the rifle. With the 77/357, it would not fit on the rear most mounting point, due to interference with the bolt handle.

The aftermarket irons Ive had the best luck with of late, are the XS sights. Well made, and no fiddling.

I have, have had, a number of the Williams, Pacific type over the receiver type peeps, but never really liked them. They work OK, but they always seemed fragile, and also always seem to hang up on everything for me.

fnfalman
02-11-2013, 09:12
I put a set of Williams peep sight on my old Tikka Hunter rifle back about 18-years ago. Worked pretty well, and I was a dumbass for selling the damn thing.

Jason D
02-11-2013, 17:32
I have never had a better after market sight than the old Lyman sight.
I don't know if you can even get them anymore though.

method
02-11-2013, 23:19
I have never had a better after market sight than the old Lyman sight.
I don't know if you can even get them anymore though.

Sure you can. Check ebay, all sorts of receiver sights, including a few dozen Lymans.

seamaster
02-11-2013, 23:38
There are several out there but it will take some research to find a set that will meet your needs/expectations.

These haven't been mentioned yet,
Tech sights
Skinner sights

countrygun
02-11-2013, 23:47
I have XS, Two models of the Williams, and the Lyman.

Unless I am "messing" with loads and ranges I am going to the XS from now own PROBABLY. I say that because I am going to try the Skinners on a rifle I have sitting right here. All in all, comparing the XS and the Williams it makes me feel that I wish the XS or Skinner design had been around a long time ago. The Williams are great but for practical use the other designs are lighter, less complicated and "Sleeker".

ak103k
02-12-2013, 07:12
The Williams are great but for practical use the other designs are lighter, less complicated and "Sleeker".
Those, as well as more robust, are the main reasons I gravitated to them.

With most of the "newer" guns, they also dont require a gunsmith to be able to mount them.

I have a Skinner "Lo Pro" on order for my Marlin 1895G, but its been a month now, and havent yet seen it. I wouldnt think this would have been a "panic" item, but then again..... I guess Ill have to give them a call this week if it doesnt show up.