Sig Scorpion 5" guide rod question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig Scorpion 5" guide rod question

Spartacus100
02-11-2013, 09:31
I puchased a Sig Scorpion 5 " 1911 a few months ago and i now have a question about the guide rod. I noticed during cleaning that the guide rod is a two piece rod and it starts to unscrew during shooting. Its never unscrewed all the way but i am concerned that if it did that it would jam up the pistol pretty good. Is this normal to have a two piece guide rod and is it normal for it to unscrew during firing?

Also, can I replace the recoil spring with a heavier one? It has the factory spring and it seems like the recoil is stronger on my Sig than on my brothers RIA. Granted he has had alot of work done to his RIA but would a heavier spring help?

Thanks for any help.....

faawrenchbndr
02-11-2013, 12:01
Apply a drop of blue, medium strength thread locker to the guide rod.
Many replace then with GI type guide rod assemblies.
No need to replace the spring with a heavier one. How far is the Sig
throwing brass?

Spartacus100
02-11-2013, 12:29
It has no trouble ejecting the brass and its very consistent with where the empty brass lands. I was really only concerned with the guide rod unscrewing a little after a couple hundred rounds at the range. I just didnt want it to totally unscrew to the point it became two piece. And maybe it never will but it is concerning.

faawrenchbndr
02-11-2013, 13:06
Use thread locker or check it often

Mayhem like Me
02-11-2013, 13:15
My scorpion has the GI style plug and guide, is your guide rod aftermarket?

Spartacus100
02-11-2013, 14:23
Nope, its factory. Its about two inches long, silver so possibly stainless, and screws together about a quarter end from the end plate (i have no idea the correct term to use). it will back out maybe an 1/8 of an inch after a couple hundred rounds.

FAAWRENCHBNDR- thats what have been doing. i check it when i clean it and tighten it as needed.

Why would Sig use that type of guide rod? is there a benefit to it?

faawrenchbndr
02-11-2013, 14:28
Spartacus'

A lot of shooters prefer them. In the eighties they were very popular
the belief was that it keeps the spring from binding. It will also add
a bit of weight to the muzzle, quicker follow up shots.

I have found them to not be worth the hassle, I prefer a GI setup

G36_Me
02-11-2013, 20:51
My Scorpion came with the traditional 1911 plug and spring. Change it out. I love my Scorpion with the flat trigger. It is a great shooter; never an issue; very accurate. How do you like yours?

G36_Me
02-11-2013, 20:54
Let me add, there has been one issue. The grips come with little bitty rubber washers underneath the grip screws. If you loose them your grips might be 'loose'. Never seen a little washer under a grip screw before. I love the mag well built into the grip.

Spartacus100
02-11-2013, 21:49
I love the gun and it is very accurate and is my EDC. Its big but i am very comfortable that when i pull the trigger i know exactly where the round is going to to. i have a Glock 19 that i like as well but i am not nearly as good of a shot with it so i leave it at home for the wife and the Sig goes with me. I'll keep your comment about the grip screw washers in mind if i ever need to take the grips off. i was actually thinking about replacing the trigger with a more traditional 1911 shaped trigger but thats down the road a bit. for now, the factory trigger is just fine. Is yours the full size or the carry?

G36_Me
02-12-2013, 20:46
Mine is the full size. I also frequently carry it. It also is the gun at my bedside 99% of the time. I cannot say enough good things about this gun. Everyone that shoots it loves it and people fall over the look of the gun. I did, that is why I did the research and bought one. It has met all my expectations for a 1911 just under $1000.

Spartacus100
02-14-2013, 07:13
i got mine for the exact same reasons. Sig name/quality helped too. I paid $892 plus tax for mine at Cabelas using a coupon they sent me. It was priced at $1049 on the shelf.

Spartacus100
02-16-2013, 08:58
i had been asked to post a pic of the guide rod so i added it to the original post. i have it unscrewed to the approximate distance that i find it in after a trip to the range.

faawrenchbndr
02-16-2013, 09:15
Don't see any pics........:dunno:

Spartacus100
02-16-2013, 09:34
not the best pic but it will do

MD357
02-16-2013, 09:56
I'd get rid of that thing, makes no sense whatsoever on Sig's part. I'd get yourself a normal guide rod.

About the springs, pick yourself up some Wolff springs or ISMI springs.... some guys go down (~14lbs) to tame perceived recoil because it allows for quicker recovery. Keep in mind when you go down in weight the slide isn't bashing the frame back and forth as violently. That being said, you might just want to get a pack of 16lbs, 18.5 etc to see what works best for you. Other than that, you can play with mainspring weights and get a flat firing pin stop if recoil is that much of a problem.

kodiakpb
02-16-2013, 11:22
Yeah that makes no sense to me either. I thought you had one of these:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/17/uhy8ene3.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/17/ere6araj.jpg

faawrenchbndr
02-16-2013, 12:10
i had been asked to post a pic of the guide rod so i added it to the original post. i have it unscrewed to the approximate distance that i find it in after a trip to the range.

If you want to save a few bucks, clean the threads with rubbing alcohol
then apply a few drops of red thread locker