Want to buy one or some of these. Need input [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy one or some of these. Need input

vtducrider
02-12-2013, 17:57
So lately I have been gravitating to less common, and collectible guns. I walked into the LGS tonight, and there was a collection that some old guy had sold to the shop as a lot. I am interested in buying one or maybe a couple. I haven't done much research yet, and thought to ask for some input from GT. I am mainly concerned with if the prices are fair, since I don't have any idea.

1. Box set of Browning Renaissance, unfired. (High power, and a 380, and a baby 25acp) plus an extra 25acp. $6000

2. S&W Masterpiece K22 in blue. Like new but no box/papers. It's a 5 screw gun, fully engraved (not the barrel). Ivory grips. Very neat looking gun. $2000

3. Browning Metalist. Like new, with target grips. It has a barrel weight installed, but doesn't have anything else with it. Dealer is not sure what he wants for it yet. Any thoughts on a fair price?

4. S&W model 52. Like new, but no box/papers. $1000. Someone spoke for it, but I might be able to convince him to let me have it.

And he had a few others that interested me:
1. S&W model 34, pretty used, comes with a decent hoslter. $400

2. S&W model 29 in stainless steel. 85% or a bit better $550

3. S&W model 60 nickel, pretty used. $350.

I like the K22 the best but it seems like a lot of money for that gun. The Browning box set is pretty amazing looking, although I am not sure if that is a top end price for it. Any thoughts?

bac1023
02-12-2013, 18:02
I don't do engraved handguns, so they're out for me.

Get the Smith & Wesson 52 if you can. Its a masterpiece.

vtducrider
02-12-2013, 19:23
I don't do engraved handguns, so they're out for me.

Get the Smith & Wesson 52 if you can. Its a masterpiece.

Yeah, the 52 felt really nice in my hand. I probably would have bought it on the spot if it wasn't already spoken for. It is pristine... is $1K a fair price for it without box/papers?

jakebrake
02-12-2013, 19:25
that model 29 is a decent number. bbl length? any other details?

vtducrider
02-12-2013, 19:31
that model 29 is a decent number. bbl length? any other details?

6" barrel, black rubber grips with S&W logo, orange insert in the front sight, adjustable rear. I don't recall if it had a "-".

jakebrake
02-12-2013, 19:33
6" barrel, black rubber grips with S&W logo, orange insert in the front sight, adjustable rear. I don't recall if it had a "-".

decent shape, $550?

in my world, that's a no brainer.

countrygun
02-12-2013, 20:32
The first three don't do anything for me. I remember the Browning sets and they made quite a few, Fully engraved K-22 but without box and papers? only if I wanted a fancy shooter just for its own sake. At a cheap price the Medalist might be OK...BUT

I'd Grab the 52 in a NY minute.

A true S&W 60 isn't "Nickled" it's stainless and will polish up nice it its just cosmetic wear and the mechanicals re good. That would be a steal if so.

A "P&R 29 wouldn't be bad, especially a 4"

Bruce M
02-12-2013, 21:14
Especially if it is factory engraved 2000 may not be that far out of line for an engraved K22 being five screw and in new condition. Granted the original box would enhance its value.

The last time I saw a Model 52 it was marked at 895 and appeared to have been well used/loved. I have seen a couple good/great condition ones marked at over a thousand; I have no idea what they sold for.

As Countrygun suggested a Model 60 for $350 and some work polishing it would be worth more or might make a great gun to carry.

vtducrider
02-18-2013, 08:58
After some sweet talking, I was able to able to get the S&W Model 52 from the gentleman, who had already spoken for it. It helped that he already has 2 of these guns. I picked it up over the weekend. Will have to get a picture up soon... It is the 52-2 model, which has some trigger improvement over the original version. I don't know what they did to improve, oh man this is one sweet trigger. It is every bit as nice as any of my semi-custom 1911's, if not better than most. The slide action is smooth like butter. I can't wait to get to the range with it. It only shoots 148gr lead wadcutters in .38spl. I don't have any of these bullets on hand, and had to buy a 50-rd box of Federal Gold Match for $29. Yikes! Need to find me some bullets...

countrygun
02-18-2013, 15:08
After some sweet talking, I was able to able to get the S&W Model 52 from the gentleman, who had already spoken for it. It helped that he already has 2 of these guns. I picked it up over the weekend. Will have to get a picture up soon... It is the 52-2 model, which has some trigger improvement over the original version. I don't know what they did to improve, oh man this is one sweet trigger. It is every bit as nice as any of my semi-custom 1911's, if not better than most. The slide action is smooth like butter. I can't wait to get to the range with it. It only shoots 148gr lead wadcutters in .38spl. I don't have any of these bullets on hand, and had to buy a 50-rd box of Federal Gold Match for $29. Yikes! Need to find me some bullets...

Congratulations, when it comes to fine target autoloaders, you re now "In Tall Cotton"

Bruce M
02-18-2013, 15:58
Enjoy your Model 52. I have been told the triggers in those are or at least were right up there with custom 1911s at the time.