M1 Carbine barrel slightly canted? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine barrel slightly canted?

Vigilant
02-13-2013, 21:15
I just bought a near mint Saginaw M1 Carbine with a Saginaw barrel. The only problem I can see is that the barrel is slightly canted, clockwise facing it from the muzzle. Is this an easy fix, or should I plan on living with it?

Thanks.

countrygun
02-13-2013, 21:31
Shoot it first, then if it doesn't zero take it to a gunsmith. If the barrel is properly seated and headspaced then it just may be the front sight base is off a bit and that is easy for decent gunsmith to fix.

Vigilant
02-13-2013, 21:47
Shoot it first, then if it doesn't zero take it to a gunsmith. If the barrel is properly seated and headspaced then it just may be the front sight base is off a bit and that is easy for decent gunsmith to fix.

10-4. Thanks.

M2 Carbine
02-13-2013, 23:01
You can do a quick check to see if the barrel is seated right.

Strip the action down to just the barrel and receiver.

With the receiver up side down lay a straight edge across the flat bottom of the barrel and a straight edge across the bottom of the receiver.
Both straight edges should be parallel.

When I use to change out barrels I'd seat the barrel like this and the headspace was always right.

Vigilant
02-14-2013, 00:43
You can do a quick check to see if the barrel is seated right.

Strip the action down to just the barrel and receiver.

With the receiver up side down lay a straight edge across the flat bottom of the barrel and a straight edge across the bottom of the receiver.
Both straight edges should be parallel.

When I use to change out barrels I'd seat the barrel like this and the headspace was always right.

Thank you, sir. Hope all is well with you.