Colt Lawman MKIII Nickle 2 1/2" Value? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt Lawman MKIII Nickle 2 1/2" Value?

TexasVine
02-14-2013, 08:30
I continue to want to feed my new found desire for classic DA revolvers. I recently found a mint (no box) Colt Lawman MKIII nickle in 2 1/2 " for around $900.00.

Is this a resonnable price? I never see these in the snubby barrel. I really like this revolver and I don't mind paying a little on the high side but do not want to get hosed.

Thanks,
Mike

fnfalman
02-14-2013, 09:18
Since that I don't think very highly of the MKIII series (I have a 6" blued Trooper), I'd say that the price is a wee bit high.

I've seen an 8" (or was it 8.5"?) nickel plated MKIII Trooper sold for $650. I bought my minty blued Trooper (no box) for $500 and I still think that it's high. The MKIII action isn't "all that".

irishbum
02-14-2013, 17:15
I've seen the around $6-700 the $900 does seem a little high.

RJ's Guns
02-14-2013, 18:48
$900 seems way high to me. I agree with fnfalman; I do not think highly of the Colt Lawman MKIII. I am less than favorably impressed with the MHIII action.

I would not buy one. I have seen them for $400 - $450, with no takers.

I would find another revolver and pass on the Colt Lawman MKIII .

RJ

wrenrj1
02-14-2013, 19:14
Here's mine in 4". I think I paid $400-450 for it around seven-years ago. It looks to be in unfired condition. I too think $900 is about $300 high.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb87/wrenrj1/IMG_0909.jpg

countrygun
02-14-2013, 19:58
We don't see many Colts around here, but one of those, with price like that, would sit in the case for a very long time.

That is up in the "Used, 3rd generation Python" range around here.

TexasVine
02-15-2013, 06:16
That is up in the "Used, 3rd generation Python" range around here.

I wish a 3rd Gen Python could be found for $900.00 in Texas, what area do you live? Pythons here (Central Texas) are priced upward to 2K. Actually I'm see asking prices on some beyond that. Anocondas are going upward to 1.5K. It's crazy how revovelvers prices have been going up around here.

donmor53
02-15-2013, 07:08
I wish a 3rd Gen Python could be found for $900.00 in Texas, what area do you live? Pythons here (Central Texas) are priced upward to 2K. Actually I'm see asking prices on some beyond that. Anocondas are going upward to 1.5K. It's crazy how revovelvers prices have been going up around here.

^^^^This!

Don't worry Texasvine. In the long run...you did OK.

You might have payed a tad too much in this case but all that matters is if you like it for now. Just look at it as a longer time investment. You don't see that many Lawman examples around...much less for sale.

It's a Colt revolver and it will appreciate no matter the model if it's kept in good shape. Too many Colt collectors are looking for clean examples to fill the holes in their collections and will be willing to pay a premium as the Colt revolvers (or any older Colt for that matter) continue to become more scarce on the market.

countrygun
02-15-2013, 07:08

The economically depressed Oregon coast.

I only paid $700 for my 6" first generation about 4 years ago. Of course it had been a highway patrol officer's and has some wear.

countrygun
02-15-2013, 07:10
^^^^This!

Don't worry Texasvine. In the long run...you did OK.

You might have payed a tad too much in this case but all that matters is if you like it for now. Just look at it as a longer time investment. You don't see that many Lawman examples around...much less for sale.

It's a Colt revolver and it will appreciate no matter the model if it's kept in good shape. Too many Colt collectors are looking for examples to fill the holes in their collections and will be willing to pay a premium as the Colt revolvers (or any older Colt for that matter) continue to become more scarce on the market.

True, as the saying goes, "You don't pay too much, you just buy too early" :cool:

donmor53
02-15-2013, 07:22
Believe me when I tell you this...there's not a one of these Colts revolvers that I have picked up over the years that I will lose money on... I call it my "snake pit".

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/donmor53/Guns09121.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/donmor53/KitchenGlobes004.jpg

Bren
02-15-2013, 07:53
I like the MK III series. I consider them superior to later DA Colts, like the King Cobran and Anaconda. However, $900 is twice what I would ever pay for one. Even though a nickel Lawman MK III was the first gun I ever owned, I consider anything over $500 ridiculous. When I see one in a store it is $400-500.

fnfalman
02-15-2013, 09:01
I like the MK III series. I consider them superior to later DA Colts, like the King Cobran and Anaconda.

Hell, that doesn't say much at all. I consider the King Cobra to be just about the same as Ruger GP100 except not as stout.

I wanted the King Cobra to add to the "snake" collection but every time I picked one up, played with the action, looked at the fit & finish and I just couldn't get over how bad that thing was.

2-8 Marine
02-15-2013, 09:05
I believe $900 is too high and I owned and loved my 2 1/2 nickel Lawman MKIII which I carried for many years on duty. Unfortunately, I let it go sometime in the late 80s. I'd love to have it back but I wouldn't pay $900 dollar for it.