NRA - My issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NRA - My issue

GLJones
02-14-2013, 21:15
OK,

I joined after a many year lapse brought on by the NRA's support for anti-gun legislation back 15-20 years ago. I figure that the media and politicians are afraid of the NRA so the more members, the better.

Well, It was over two months ago that I joined at the Central Florida gun show. Since that time, I have received two communications from the NRA, both by regular mail. The first was a promotion to join at a discount. No problem, they haven't updated their marketing database yet.

The second I received today asking me to renew my membership that is both new and that I have received NOTHING indicating my membership. No welcome packet, membership card, nothing. I know the membership went through because the renewal mail says "Member in good standing."

As far as I am concerned, the NRA is nothing but a money racket leaching off gun owners. Even when nothing politically is happening, the NRA makes wild claims about the government trying to restrict our gun rights. While the threat is currently very real, I still don't believe the NRA will hold the line in the end. Like many times in the past, they will compromise.

While they do not have the political power of the NRA, I personally like the GOA and JPFO for their no compromise stance. Frankly, ANY compromise at this point takes us that much closer to a full ban. This is like compromising with someone that wants to kill you. Would you agree to only loosing a toe? Compromise is NOT AN OPTION.

Your thoughts?

CharlestonG26
02-14-2013, 21:20
I don't condone everything that the NRA does...but...I'm a Life Member and will continue to support this organization.

GLOCK19FTW
02-14-2013, 21:26
Call them and opt-out from these solicitations.

Member or not, every organization must comply with spam laws.

RJ's Guns
02-14-2013, 21:40
I support the NRA. I regularly donate to the NRA. Today I donated another $250 and since the first of the year, I have donated $1000 to the NRA and I am proud to have done so. The NRA is fighting for our second amendment rights and taking a lot of ridicule and abuse in the process.

The politicians, to varying degrees, fear the power of the NRA, and if it were not for the NRA, our second amendment rights would be in even more jeopardy. Whenever I contact the politicians for my legislative district, I make it a point to tell them that I received an alert from the NRA, which is what prompted me to contact the particular politician.

I could not care less about any welcome packet or membership card and I am at a complete loss to understand why they are such a big deal to you.

RJ

hogship
02-14-2013, 22:04
The gun grabbers will tell you which pro-2nd Amendment organization is doing the most good........join that organization and support it.

ooc

Cole125
02-14-2013, 22:28
I don't care what they do, or send me.

Fact is the NRA is the most powerful gun rights group in the country. Just give them your money and move on.

If your a gun owner and not a NRA member you need to join, NOW!

DonD
02-14-2013, 23:02

Fact is the NRA is the most powerful gun rights group in the country. Just give them your money and move on.

Absolutely correct. Yes, they aren't perfect. I became a life member a couple years ago and kept getting solicitations asking me to join the NRA. I'd been a member for a very long time prior to upgrading my membership.

Errors like this do not change the fact that they are the most effective organization fighting efforts to deny us 2nd Amendment rights. Fail to support them at your own peril. Don

dougader
02-14-2013, 23:19
Membership with NRA, GOA, and OFF covers all the bases for this Oregonian.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

FLAHOTROD
02-14-2013, 23:30
I am a member and remain so for the good things they do, but I agree that I do get tired of them always asking for money.

I also think they are in serious need of reimaging themselves. The media has done a hell of a job of depicting them as corporate lobbyists for the gun industry. To the sheeple,...er...umm...general public, that is what they believe the NRA to be. The National Rifle Association would do well to recreate the image of itself as everyday people helping train and inform people to the shooting sports and to stand as a unified front against attacks to the 2nd amendment.

freezetime
02-15-2013, 08:52
Theyve had thousands of members join and renew since December, they are probably delayed in getting everything out. I joined in January and just got my membership card this week. Hell, I even got my $25 bass pro gift card BEFORE i got my membership.

The NRA isnt perfect, but they do carry weight. Be patient and let them work for our rights!

Pier23
02-15-2013, 10:20
I was a member, but Wayne LaPierre and Charlton Heston both pushed the bounds of credulity for a national organization... And (flame now) Ted Nugent is not helping.

I am in search for another group to support.

NDCent
02-15-2013, 10:44

This.

Brucev
02-15-2013, 11:02
Since 1980 I have been a Life Member of the NRA. It is the premier 2A advocate, the bain of anti-gun liberals and all other domestic terrorists seeking to destroy America.

1gewehr
02-15-2013, 11:15
I complained for many years that the NRA was NOT interested in stopping new gun control, but just in compromising.
This year, i really cannot find anything about the NRA to complain about. They have stood firm, defending against ALL of the measures Obama & Co. have proposed.

They have come a LONG way since the bad days of the '70's and '80's. If we keep up the pressure, they might even be able to get a gun law repealed!

ctfireman
02-15-2013, 11:27
Until another organization does more to help us than the NRA, i will continue to renew my membership.

02-15-2013, 12:28
The gun grabbers will tell you which pro-2nd Amendment organization is doing the most good bad........join that organization and support it.

ooc
If you know what I mean.:wavey:

byf43
02-15-2013, 12:53
<<<-------------------------- has been a LIFE MEMBER since dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

Do you want your 2A Rights protected and fought for???
Do you have the time to go to DC and fight with the draconian politicians that think that your firearms are the most evil creation known to man????
Do you have the strength to do what they do????
Do you have the ability to get in front of the line and say, "No more!"??

Join the NRA.
Pay the dues. Upgrade your membership. Join the fight.

IF you don't want the phone calls, mass mailings, etc., call the NRA (have your member # handy) and tell them that you want to "Opt Out" of the mass mailings, and to use their $$$ to fight these _ _ _ _ed gun grabbers.

We now return to our regular programming . . . . . . .

misunderestimated
02-15-2013, 13:04
So First I am not a wealthy person, I am putting a kid thru college with other one starting next year.

Today is Friday ,My payday and i will be sending in another donation to the NRA.

I don't see anybody else fighting the good fight for us. What would we have done if there was no NRA.

Every time I hear the anti 2nd amendment people throwing there stones at the NRA,its directors, and there members it reminds me why I have to support them.

I implore every one to send in what you can, This is it folks we are being attacked on all sides, Allot of people think its only a New York thing its not its spreading nation wide.

ITS ON CUZ

frogmorton11
02-15-2013, 14:20
I've been an NRA member on and off for several years. I'll join and then get pissed at all the money they were spending just to talk me into making more donations or rejoining, so I would let my membership lapse for a year or so. Since Sandy Hook, I have rejoined and don't intend to ever let it lapse again. The antis are gaining strength and the NRA, with all it's warts, is the most organized in defending our rights.

Chup
02-15-2013, 14:44
I'm a life member and proud of it. I can't give them money often but help when I can. You may get tired of them asking for money but, you still are allowed too own guns. I say if it wasn't for the N R A we would be in the same shape as Canada, not so Great Briton, and Australia. GIVE THEM HELL NRA!!

GlockFish
02-15-2013, 17:34
The Liberals hate the NRA.

That should tell you something.

RonS
02-15-2013, 17:35
My family is Irish so I am pissed off at the British. It's 1941 and I want to fight for freedom and liberty. I think I'll join the Belgian army.

Whatever.

JFrame
02-15-2013, 17:36
Okay -- pretty much everyone else has already voiced my thoughts on the matter. :cool:

WiskyT
02-15-2013, 18:29
I am a member and remain so for the good things they do, but I agree that I do get tired of them always asking for money.

I also think they are in serious need of reimaging themselves. The media has done a hell of a job of depicting them as corporate lobbyists for the gun industry. To the sheeple,...er...umm...general public, that is what they believe the NRA to be. The National Rifle Association would do well to recreate the image of itself as everyday people helping train and inform people to the shooting sports and to stand as a unified front against attacks to the 2nd amendment.

Uh, you do realize that the NRA has a higher public approval rating than our country's beloved bho? The NRA's image is fine. Just because msnbc etc says they are a shill for the gun industry doesn't mean people believe it.

WiskyT
02-15-2013, 18:35
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159578/nra-favorable-image.aspx

Danl Boone
02-15-2013, 18:44
I am a life member and will continue to give them money just as long as they continue to irritate liberals! I wish every gun owner in America felt the same way as I do. Don't like their mailing? Tell them not to send you anything! But I still wish they had about 100 million members!:steamed:

Rick C
02-15-2013, 18:47
Gunny should go on the news shows with Wayne LaPierre (sp) as an interpreter, sort of like the folks that sign for the hearing impaired, to get the message across.

WiskyT
02-15-2013, 18:49
Gunny should go on the news shows with Wayne LaPierre (sp) as an interpreter, sort of like the folks that sign for the hearing impaired, to get the message across.

He could do the "nambi pambi" thing and throw a box of tissues while explaining things to the libatards!

jeffb1911
02-15-2013, 18:59
I am not yet a card carrying member of the NRA. Am I the only one that belongs to the NAGR?!

WiskyT
02-15-2013, 19:04
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/5baa5b6c-7e27-4342-89d3-473e06d1124d_zps21e3e687.jpg

M3.p
02-15-2013, 19:44
Join,Give...Time to fish or cut bait..............

QuietAnarchist
02-15-2013, 20:03
Just got my membership card today. Maybe they're not perfect as an organization, and I think it's impossible for them to please every member. With that being said, the NRA is still the one that all of the pimps, whores, and thieves in Washington DC. must contend with.

Snaps
02-15-2013, 22:40
become a life member, they'll never need you to renew again

Cole125
02-15-2013, 23:33

+1

The can come and take it! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vcr5-QvMdY&feature=share&list=LL2JXkYMZ6KQ84ynZolimNsw

schild
02-16-2013, 05:24

+1, and the junk mail pretty much stops.

I'm sick of gun owners with excuses why they don't belong to the NRA.:steamed:

johnchamp
02-16-2013, 06:37
i just became a patron member :supergrin: