I think I want a new 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I think I want a new 1911

happyguy
02-15-2013, 05:14
I am ruminating about buying a new 1911 but I'm not sure what I want.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the STI G.I.? Are they real or are they vaporware?

http://www.stiguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/GI_1a.jpg

With the lowered and flared ejection port I realize it isn't an exact copy of the original and I'm OK with that. I was just wondering how they might compare (quality wise) to the Springfield Mil-Spec.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

faawrenchbndr
02-15-2013, 05:36
I'd say on par with a mil-spec.
While I am a big Springer fan, I would take the STI over the mil-spec

MajorD
02-15-2013, 07:24
I could be wrong here, but sti has an arrangement with the company in the phillipines that makes a lot of 1911's and I suspect these are the foreign made guns rebranded as sti, similar to what they do with the sti spartan.

glock2619
02-15-2013, 07:40
I could be wrong here, but sti has an arrangement with the company in the phillipines that makes a lot of 1911's and I suspect these are the foreign made guns rebranded as sti, similar to what they do with the sti spartan.

Sample size of 1, but the one that they had at SHOT this year appeared to be made in TX. It did not have the same rollmarks that the spartan's do.

FWIW, I'm ordering 2 of them (2 sons. They are 2 and 5, but someday they will get them. :cool:) I am very impressed with the build quality for a GI and like the simplicity. Some are turned off by the rollmarks, but I don't mind them.

To answer happyguy, they came out (IIRC) a couple years ago but it took them a couple years to get the bugs worked out (according to an STI rep this year). I appreciate that they didn't just release them and hope for the best but rather waited until they were ready. Now, they are actually ready to produce them. Hope you find this information useful.

fnfalman
02-15-2013, 09:23
If you want something like that then buy a Colt Series 70/MkIV. The real deal at decent price.

3rdgen40
02-15-2013, 12:42
Wow...I really like that STI.Might have to get me one of those.

spcwes
02-15-2013, 14:53
That is a very smooth looking GI. To be honest with you STI is a good company and they stand behind their customers. Unless you are just bleeding stars and stripes and will only deal with US built I would be fine with it being built anywhere as long as I had STI backing me up with it.

bac1023
02-15-2013, 18:38
It looks like a winner to me. I just find it odd that it's a cross between a 1911 and a 1911-A1.

happyguy
02-16-2013, 04:25
If you want something like that then buy a Colt Series 70/MkIV. The real deal at decent price.

I have a couple of Colts and want something different.

LGS also has a TRP in the case that's singing its siren song.

Yeah I know, totally different guns. :crazy:

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

ca survivor
02-16-2013, 10:18
interesting mag release.