Help with front sight? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with front sight?

G26AZ
02-15-2013, 07:34
I currenlty have Fusion (Novak-like) adjustable night sights on my commander. For daytime use, I have found that if I CAREFULLY apply orange nail polish to the rear of the front sight, it helps speed up my daytime sight acquisition when shooting. Makes it a lot quicker for my aging eyes.

The problem is, the nail polish quickly wears off as the gun is taken in and out of the holster. I used to do the same thing to my S&W revolvers back in the day when they didn't have the red sight inserts.

So, my question is - does anybody make a fornt sight for the 1911 that is similair to a S&W revolver front sight? By this I mean ramped, and has ridges in it AND a tritium dot for night time use? I found in the past that the ridges held enough of the nail polish to still give an orange appearing sight even after multiple times in and out of the holster - so that is what I'm looking for.
Thanks,
John

FullClip
02-15-2013, 12:25
Have you ever tried fiber optic sights?

I was a non-believer, and still have a lot of pistols and revolvers with tritium or conventional sights. I've got a few with the fingernail polish "enhanced" front sights. But after putting the fiber optics on my Delta Elite, I've vowed to convert to these units.

I may even try these...

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/tritium-fiber-optic-brite-site-prod20769.aspx

get the best of both fiber optic and tritium.....if you believe the ads and a few reviews.

There's also some sight paint that is supposed to be pretty durable...and a step up from nail polish.

http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml

By the way.......have you ever been tempted to see how the nail polish looks on your toe-nails???..............:supergrin:

jjmoberg
02-16-2013, 11:36
Fusion uses a Novak cut. Go to Dawson Precision.com and pick your poison!

G26AZ
02-18-2013, 13:18
By the way.......have you ever been tempted to see how the nail polish looks on your toe-nails???..............:supergrin:

In the intrest of full disclosure . . . . . . it's been so long since I've been able to even see my toenails that I can honestly say that no, I've never considered it!:embarassed:

It is fun when I go into the beauty supply store where my daughter gets her hair stuff and ask them what brand of nail polish is the hardest and longest wearing, and when they ask what its for and I tell them its for my pistol's front sight, to see their eyes bulge in surprise! That is most of the time. One time the lady never even blinked an eye and said "this is brand my husband uses . .. ."

Thanks for the info and links also!!