Ejector Star question Taurus Model 85 .38 Special [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ejector Star question Taurus Model 85 .38 Special

phoenixg23
02-15-2013, 11:35
Was at the range with my daughter working on her skills using the Taurus Model 85 I bought for her last July.
After firing 25 rounds of White Box FMJ, I reloaded with 5 more WB FMJ. I closed the cylinder, took aim, went to pull the trigger and it felt like the trigger was welded in place. I opened the cylinder then closed it, tried to fire and had no problem.

Can damages to the ejector star cause this to happen? I know my daughter (22 yrs old) had taken a friend to the range with her in the past. I have to wonder if they may have damaged the firearm.

Another thought, could it have been I did not have the bullets in the cylinder properly as weird as that may sound.

Am looking to use this firearm to barter for getting my truck repainted but do not want to give the guy a faulty firearm.

Thank you in advance for any feed-back.

Chup
02-15-2013, 14:54
First I would make sure it is clean under the ejector star. Check to see if the ejector rod is lose. The rod may tighten counter clockwise. I'm not sure. ?????

method
02-15-2013, 14:58
How do you feel the star has been damaged? I don't think that's a concern. Check to see if the ejector rod has backed out any. It's threaded in reverse...to tighten it's turned counter clockwise. I have noticed there's a spot on my 850, at the very end of the trigger's reset travel after a shot where a pull will not move the trigger back. Just have to be sure to let the trigger return completely to its starting point.

VA27
02-15-2013, 18:22
Turn the gun muzzle up to dump the empties. Otherwise powder residue will fall between the cylinder and the star and cause what you experienced. Take a toothbrush (your mother-in-law's will do) and clean the junk out from between the star and cylinder.

RGbiker
02-15-2013, 19:58
Am looking to use this firearm to barter for getting my truck repainted but do not want to give the guy a faulty firearm.

After owning a few Taurus handguns, IMO, that's the wisest thing you can do with that Taurus.

Then look for a S&W Airweight .38spl +P rated for your Daughter.

Bruce M
02-15-2013, 20:04
Turn the gun muzzle up to dump the empties. Otherwise powder residue will fall between the cylinder and the star and cause what you experienced. Take a toothbrush (your mother-in-law's will do) and clean the junk out from between the star and cylinder.
:rofl::rofl:

Russ in PA
02-15-2013, 23:47
It could be that the timing is screwed-up, and the gun needs a trip back to Taurus. I had a similar problem with a Taurus .22 I owned years ago.

VA27
02-16-2013, 00:26
It could be that the timing is screwed-up, and the gun needs a trip back to Taurus. I had a similar problem with a Taurus .22 I owned years ago.

You're right Russ. I'd forgotten about that. I saw it happen to a friends Taurus.

phoenixg23
02-16-2013, 01:04
Thanks everyone. I replaced the Taurus with a new Glock 26 Gen 3 last month, brought the Taurus back with me. Reason for the G26, she took right to the one I rented for her at the range here overher Christmas visit with us.

Bruce M
02-16-2013, 07:40
I am sure it is a bit more comforting knowing she has something reliable.

aircarver
02-16-2013, 09:45
Too much oil under the ejector star can force it out and jam up the gun in a close-tolerance environment. Wipe out all excess oil under the ejector star.

(I was amazed to hear this one from an old cop, who advised me when my S&W revolver hung up. Sure enough ... too much oil ...)

Bill Lumberg
02-16-2013, 16:02
The only Taurus problem I've ever had was a timing meltdown, felt exactly like the OP described. Trip back to Taurus and no further problems. It could be that the timing is screwed-up, and the gun needs a trip back to Taurus. I had a similar problem with a Taurus .22 I owned years ago.