Legislative Polls Favor Gun Control Wash State [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Legislative Polls Favor Gun Control Wash State

RJ's Guns
02-15-2013, 14:30
I was just informed by both of my State Representative that Legislative polls favors gun control House Bill 1588, by 3 to 1 in favor of gun control measures.

House Bill 1588 was heard by the House Judiciary Committee yesterday. The bill was sponsored by state Representatives Jamie Pederson(D-43), Mike Hope (R-44).

HB 1588 is scheduled for vote in the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, February 19 at 10:00 a.m.

Also heard yesterday (2-14-13) was House Bill 1676, sponsored by state Representative Ruth Kagi (D-32) and thirteen other state representatives. This so-called “child access prevention” bill would single out the storage of firearms for criminalization under certain circumstances.

The latest attack on law-abiding gun owners comes in the form of a ban on so-called “assault weapons” and magazines that hold more thanten rounds. Senate Bill 5737, just introduced by state Senators Ed Murray (D-43) and Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D-36), would ban the sale of commonly owned semi-automatic firearms. This bill wouldban the manufacture, transfer, possession, purchase and sale of firearms arbitrarily defined as “assault weapons”, semi-automatic firearms commonly owned by law-abiding citizens for self-defense, based on mainly cosmeticfeatures!

SB 5737 would also ban the possession of any semiautomatic firearm along with a magazine that holds more than ten rounds. A violation of these, and other provisions listed in the bill, is a class C felony. Owners of these firearms could keep them IF they subjected themselves to annual in-home inspections by law enforcement and complied with stringent and impractical storage and transportation requirements.

House Judiciary Committee:

Representative Jamie Pedersen (D-43), Chairman

(360) 786-7826

jamie.pedersen@leg.wa.gov

Representative Drew Hansen (D-23), Vice Chairman

(360) 786-7842

drew.hansen@leg.wa.gov

Representative Jay Rodne (R-5)

(360) 786-7852

jay.rodne@leg.wa.gov

Representative Steve O'Ban (R-28)

(360) 786-7890

steve.oban@leg.wa.gov

Representative Roger Goodman (D-45)

(360) 786-7878

roger.goodman@leg.wa.gov

Representative Mike Hope (R-44)

(360) 786-7892

mike.hope@leg.wa.gov

Representative Laurie Jinkins (D-27)

(360) 786-7930

laurie.jinkins@leg.wa.gov

Representative Steve Kirby (D-29)

(360) 786-7996

steve.kirby@leg.wa.gov

Representative Brad Klippert (R-8)

(360) 786-7882

brad.klippert@leg.wa.gov

Representative Terry Nealey (R-16)

(360) 786-7828

terry.nealey@leg.wa.gov

Representative Tina Orwall (D-33)

(360) 786-7834

tina.orwall@leg.wa.gov

Representative Mary Helen Roberts (D-21)

(360) 786-7950

maryhelen.roberts@leg.wa.gov

Representative Matt Shea (R-4)

(360) 786-7984

matt.shea@leg.wa.gov

RJ

.45 Combat
02-15-2013, 20:10
I was there living in Everett, Washington. Man this a mess, well we know what happens when this gun control takes place. Crime goes through the roof. At least we know which side will get kicked out of office on election day.

WayneJessie
02-15-2013, 20:19
I was there living in Everett, Washington. Man this a mess, well we know what happens when this gun control takes place. Crime goes through the roof. At least we know which side will get kicked out of office on election day.

Don't bet on it. It's going to take more than just hoping a future election will turn out better. Gun rights people are going to have to hit the streets working at a grass-roots level to rally support. Just giving a buck to the NRA and hoping for bettr times to come is a waste of time. It ls stand and fight now or that freedom will be forever lost. Our county commisioners are taking symbolic steps by voicing and passing 2nd Amendment friendly ordinances. States are going to have to have enough guts to openly refuse to enforce ANY federal gun control laws. It's now or never.

suburbanhillbilly
02-15-2013, 20:27
"Legislative Polls Favor Gun Control Wash State"

Hmm...why do I never trust polls?

DonD
02-15-2013, 22:16
There the Dumbocratic turds go again. This is clearly unconstitutional, at great odds with Heller v DC and McDonald v Chicago SCOTUS rulings.

If passed it will be appealed and if appealed it will be overturned. Dirtbags. Don :steamed:

RJ's Guns
02-15-2013, 22:22

These are not the typical CNN, Gallup, etc. polls. When a constituent contacts a legislator, the legislative aids keep track of how many constituents are in favor and how many constituents’ comments are opposed to a particular piece of legislation. These polls are a big deal and can directly influence how a legislator votes. Damn, this is a very different ball game and therefore this poll must not be taken in such a cavalier manner.

People need to contact their Wash State Legislators, voice their opposition and change the trend of the legislative polls.

RJ

TSAX
02-15-2013, 22:36
I wonder if these polls were all conducted with people who work in Seattle with the Mayor :whistling:

That aside, we will stand up against these bills. :steamed:

:50cal:

RJ's Guns
02-15-2013, 22:37
There the Dumbocratic turds go again. This is clearly unconstitutional, at great odds with Heller v DC and McDonald v Chicago SCOTUS rulings.

If passed it will be appealed and if appealed it will be overturned. Dirtbags. Don :steamed:

You are in La La Land if you believe that.

I am not a Constitutional Law attorney, but I do know enough about Constitutional Law and the appeals process to not give your assessment a snowball's chance in hell of turning out as you have predicted.

The Federal 9th Circuit (Wash State is in the 9th circuit) will uphold the legislation, of that I am 100% sure.

Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts sold us out on Obamacare and I heard Justice Scalia voice support of "reasonable restrictions on the second amendment." He gave every indication that he would support an assault weapons ban. If Scalia supports gun control, we are SOL.

Furthermore, if Obama is able to replace another Justice, what type of Justice do you think he will appoint.

RJ

RJ's Guns
02-15-2013, 22:40
I wonder if these polls were all conducted with people who work in Seattle with the Mayor :whistling:

:steamed:

NO. These polls are of constituents that CONTACT the legislators' offices in Olympia.

RJ

jrd22
02-15-2013, 22:53
RJ- Thanks for posting this. I just sent them all emails. Unless they hear loud and clear from all of us opposed to infringing on our 2nd Amendment rights Washington will follow in New York's footsteps.

RJ's Guns
02-15-2013, 22:59
RJ- Thanks for posting this. I just sent them all emails. Unless they hear loud and clear from all of us opposed to infringing on our 2nd Amendment rights Washington will follow in New York's footsteps.

Absolutely right. We must contact them and voice our opposition

RJ

TSAX
02-15-2013, 23:14

Absolutely right. We must contact them and voice our opposition

RJ

Yep, contact and not let WA turn into NY or CA when it comes to gun laws. Whats next they will ban certain soda drink sizes and fast food joints in certain areas to fight obesity and force everyone to become tree loving anti-meat vegans who cant find a sports league for their kids that keeps score so their feelings wont be hurt. NEVER :steamed:

TunaFisherman
02-15-2013, 23:41
In home inspections.... Like a warrant less search. People you are seeing your freedom die before your eyes.
Both R and D elected officials are going anti gun.
I for one am sick of the big cities deciding what's best for me, if you have high crime, get make or help the local police get the bad guys. Longer harsher prison terms. These same people in government are one that let a minor have FIVE gun offenses before doin time... Guess what, take or restrict my guns is not ever going to lower the crime rate in Seattle, LA or NY

RJ's Guns
02-15-2013, 23:49
In home inspections.... Like a warrant less search. People you are seeing your freedom die before your eyes.
Both R and D elected officials are going anti gun.
I for one am sick of the big cities deciding what's best for me, if you have high crime, get make or help the local police get the bad guys. Longer harsher prison terms. These same people in government are one that let a minor have FIVE gun offenses before doin time... Guess what, take or restrict my guns is not ever going to lower the crime rate in Seattle, LA or NY

I do not think that lowering crime rates has anything to do with gun control.

They want us to be vulnerable, totally dependent on government and unable toresist the tyranny.

RJ

TSAX
02-16-2013, 00:20
I see the news in Seattle/King County and practically everyday there is a reported an armed robbery, attempted kidnapping, home invasion, assault, etc. Imagine how many are not reported. Gotta fight to keep my rights so I can better protect my family.

So far history has shown bills taking mags down from open to 10 to 7 and whats next 5 or 1 round per gun only, once they win one restriction they will try for more. :steamed:

countsk
02-16-2013, 00:44
I've been a law abiding citizen for 43 years and a veteran of two wars. If I lived in WA State the law abiding part would apparently change.

RJ's Guns
02-16-2013, 13:13
Yep, contact and not let WA turn into NY or CA when it comes to gun laws. Whats next they will ban certain soda drink sizes and fast food joints in certain areas to fight obesity and force everyone to become tree loving anti-meat vegans who cant find a sports league for their kids that keeps score so their feelings wont be hurt. NEVER :steamed:

Looking at how few people have even bothered to look at this thread, makes me fear the worst.

The legislators are going to feel free to vote for more gun control and justify their vote by citing internal legislative tabulations, of contacts by their constituents, evidencing that public opinion supports gun control at a ratio of over 3 to 1, in favor of gun control.

I am getting old and I am beginning to feel that I no longer give a damn. If the younger generations do not care if they lose their rights and will not even take a few minutes to contact their legislators and voice their opposition, then they deserve what they get. I no longer care to fight for them or donate my time and money (I have donated over $1000 since January 1, 2013, to fight the gun grabbers). What happens will only affect me for a little while, but what happens will affect the younger generation for a very long time. I say, to hell with it.

RJ

slumpmaster
02-16-2013, 18:05

If you live in WA you would know better. The legislature is dominated by leftists in four counties. East of the Cascades is dominated by conservatives (except urban Spokane). This portion would be better served if it were a separate State, or annexed into Idaho, as the west side ignores it, except to use it as a playground.

Unless there is a major push by east side county and city officials, expect this to pass, regardless of popular opposition.

NEOH212
02-16-2013, 19:09
Legislative Polls Favor Gun Control Wash State

Not hard to do when the polling data is only taken only from those with a anti gun sentiment. :whistling:

DonD
02-16-2013, 19:39
You are in La La Land if you believe that.

I am not a Constitutional Law attorney, but I do know enough about Constitutional Law and the appeals process to not give your assessment a snowball's chance in hell of turning out as you have predicted.

The Federal 9th Circuit (Wash State is in the 9th circuit) will uphold the legislation, of that I am 100% sure.

Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts sold us out on Obamacare and I heard Justice Scalia voice support of "reasonable restrictions on the second amendment." He gave every indication that he would support an assault weapons ban. If Scalia supports gun control, we are SOL.

Furthermore, if Obama is able to replace another Justice, what type of Justice do you think he will appoint.

RJ

I think it is you who are in la la land. The 9th is the most overturned court in the nation. Justice Scalia in Heller v DC said it is unreasonable to ban entire classes of commonly used guns. That alone wipes out WA's issues.

The NRA or some other group will appeal and just perhaps, the 9th, having been told to get their act together by SCOTUS, will read Heller v DC and McDonald v Chicago and enforce the dominant court. Don

TSAX
02-16-2013, 20:04
Looking at how few people have even bothered to look at this thread, makes me fear the worst.

The legislators are going to feel free to vote for more gun control and justify their vote by citing internal legislative tabulations, of contacts by their constituents, evidencing that public opinion supports gun control at a ratio of over 3 to 1, in favor of gun control.

I am getting old and I am beginning to feel that I no longer give a damn. If the younger generations do not care if they lose their rights and will not even take a few minutes to contact their legislators and voice their opposition, then they deserve what they get. I no longer care to fight for them or donate my time and money (I have donated over $1000 since January 1, 2013, to fight the gun grabbers). What happens will only affect me for a little while, but what happens will affect the younger generation for a very long time. I say, to hell with it.

RJ

I am spreading the word to others I know, I think this thread would get more attention in the GNG lounge, Ive seen more people from WA visit that part of this site then the GFF. Maybe you can email a Moderator and have them move it over to the GNG lounge. Maybe we need a WA Glockers like other states are represented in here. I hope to speak with more people at the range next week and at the gun WAC gun show later as well.

Dont feel down, I may not have been able to be at any of the rallies yet but victories like

1. In the state where the stupid Suppressor law is gone
2. Seattle where the ban on guns in parks is gone
3. Oak Harbor recently and that fiasco with the city council

give good reason to hope, plus the people have told me the turn outs have been good at the rallies and the videos show good turn out also. Keep your head up, many of us arent giving up :wavey:

TSAX
02-16-2013, 20:10
Here maybe this will help

www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19996461#post19996461

Aceman
02-16-2013, 21:46
Hey - I gotta agree; You can't have BOTH guns and drugs legal...come on. WA has chose drugs.

RJ's Guns
02-16-2013, 23:25
I think it is you who are in la la land. The 9th is the most overturned court in the nation. Justice Scalia in Heller v DC said it is unreasonable to ban entire classes of commonly used guns. That alone wipes out WA's issues.

The NRA or some other group will appeal and just perhaps, the 9th, having been told to get their act together by SCOTUS, will read Heller v DC and McDonald v Chicago and enforce the dominant court. Don

Re; “The 9th is the most overturned court in the nation.”

That is true, but just because the 9th Circuit rulings are frequently overturned does not mean that they would necessarily be overturned, by the Supreme Court, if the 9th were to uphold the anti-Second Amendment legislation (if it were to become law). That is not an argument (that the 9th is frequently overturned) that can even be raised.

Re; “Justice Scalia in Heller v DC said it is unreasonable to ban entire classes of commonly used guns.”

A lot of that depends on what is meant by “ban”. A “reasonable restriction” does not necessarily rise to the level of a “ban”. What is “reasonable,”in that context, is typically considered to be “a question of fact” and appellate courts typically defer to the judgment of the legislative branch concerning “questions of fact”.

Even more depends on what is meant by “ban entire classes of commonly used guns.” Does a “class of guns” mean something as broad as “handguns”or “rifles”. If a sub-category of rifles (i.e. so called “assault rifles”) is banned, is that banning an “entire class” of guns. Looking at what California, New York and other States, have done for years and gotten away with it. I just cannot agree with your opinion.

I could go on, but this is not the time or place for a debate on the legal merits and limitations of Heller, etc.

I am not a Constitutional Law attorney, (I am a litigator) but I have argued a bunch of cases before different levels of Appellate Courts and participated with other attorneys, throughout the country, as a litigation consultant, in even more appellate cases. Based on my experience, I am not at all confident that the Appellate Court/Supreme Court rulings would be favorable to the Second Amendment.

RJ

janice6
02-16-2013, 23:34
Not hard to do when the polling data is only taken only from those with a anti gun sentiment. :whistling:

You got that right!