Best gun safe under $2K? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best gun safe under $2K?

Mr Wasabi
02-15-2013, 19:59
Actually, preferably in the $1500 range. I've been eyeballin' the Liberty Fatboy. Good choice? Cannon has the usb/AC plugs available. Any other safes offer this? I know Liberty has a the AC plug upgrade option.

Thanks for any input.

sigman69
02-15-2013, 20:11
Liberty makes great safes for the money....

DonD
02-15-2013, 21:18
I have a top of the line Winchester (Granite Security safe). It has 2" diameter locking bolts and has the best fire rating I'm aware of 1400 degrees for 2 hrs.

Bass Pro Shops sells them under their Readhead label as well. I got a huge discount by getting one on sale and getting their credit card at the same time and a military discount. Don

superspud
02-15-2013, 21:18
Really like my Liberty Safe Fatboy Jr

You'll have a hard time finding as much safe and protection for that price range. Well under your $2000 limit.

RJ's Guns
02-15-2013, 21:57
I have had good luck with Sportsmans Steel safes. I have a couple of their large fire vaults. They may still do some degree of customization.

http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/

All of my fire vaults have AC. I have 110v lights and several 110v golden rod dehumidifiers inside of each one.

RJ

Rinspeed
02-15-2013, 22:03
There is no good gun safe under $2K, keep saving.

Elheeffa
02-15-2013, 22:09
Look at Fort Knox. Great customer service a real lifetime warranty and USA made with real steel. Im sure there is a safe you can find in your range.

bigdough666
02-15-2013, 22:56
Really like my Liberty Safe Fatboy Jr

You'll have a hard time finding as much safe and protection for that price range. Well under your $2000 limit.

WORD, I have a Fatboy Jr as well.

BenjiEDF
02-15-2013, 23:18
Liberty safes are nice for the money, if you want something bigger and badder than that then I'm not sure. I'm interested in what other members suggest. I think you should include more info in the criteria. Are you worried about security from random break/in theft or like serious committed burglars?

Don H
02-16-2013, 02:02
Check this out, hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=ltK-bDbADa8&vq=hd720#t=76

Under $2k, I think the only "decent" safe you'll find in that range will be something like a smaller sturdy safe. If you have that much to spend I would strongly suggest that you hold off and save up a little more for something like an amsec BF.

byf43
02-16-2013, 07:38
Liberty Fat Boy is a very good safe.

Biggest suggestion I can make, is to make sure that the safe has a mechanical lock.
Personally, I don't trust the electronic locks. YMMV, though.

Anchor the safe to the floor and to side wall(s), if possible.

quichedem
02-16-2013, 18:11

Great comment, Captian Helpful!

Rinspeed
02-16-2013, 18:25
Great comment, Captian Helpful!

Are you busting my balls and/or do you struggle with spelling. :dunno:

hoghunter82
02-16-2013, 18:31
For the price I don't think you can do better than Sturdy Gun Safe. I researched literally for years before finally making a decision. I am so happy with my Sturdy Gun Safe. Compare steel thickness for the body of the safes and Sturdy Gun Safe offers the best thickness for your money. The safe is no frills so if you want to pay for fancy stuff than go with Ft. Knox, if you just want a bad ass storage container (RSC) for under $2K with thick gauge steel than go with Sturdy Gun Safe.

DonD
02-16-2013, 18:42

That's unmitigated bull crap. Don :upeyes:

hoghunter82
02-16-2013, 19:30
Here comes the argument between a "Safes" and a "RSC". All safe threads go there eventually...

Rinspeed
02-16-2013, 19:33
That's unmitigated bull crap. Don :upeyes:

Sorry to hurt your feelings but I tend to live in the real world. Most sub $3K safes have a door made out of 11 GA steel which is only 1/8" thick. Look at the link that Don H posted, it is a great video from C E Safes and I consider it very informative.

I have a $1200 safe from Bulldog but have about $8K worth of guns in it. I know for a fact if someone wanted in it wouldn't take a whole lot of time to do so. I do have two very aggresive GSDs that help keep an eye on things but I know at some point I need to upgrade.

jdeere_man
02-16-2013, 19:56
Here comes the argument between a "Safes" and a "RSC". All safe threads go there eventually...

Don't you think it is important for uneducated people to learn the difference?

It's not that you can't get decent protection for $1500-$2000, but just know it's not thief-proof. Then again neither is a $4000 safe, but it will offer more protection.

All "safes" offer varying levels of protection that you can choose to buy depending on your budget, value of the contents, and level of acceptable risk.

IMO, safes are an area where you truly get you what you pay for. Thicker metal costs more money, along with other details that come in more expensive safes. Also just because you look at two safes and they appear to have 4" doors, you have to understand composite doors and gauge of metal they're made out of.