Who bought a pellet gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who bought a pellet gun?

Cole125
02-15-2013, 20:07
With the prices and availability of ammo I know I am not the only one not willing to shoot up any of the ammo I have.

Pellet guns seem like the next best thing to get trigger time in.

Who has resorted to pellet gun shooting and what make/model gun did you get?

Pics, too. :supergrin:

LASTRESORT20
02-15-2013, 20:23
Interesting:

How powerful are BB and Pellet guns? - YouTube

LASTRESORT20
02-15-2013, 20:27
Check this out:

"Air Rifle that Shoots through Cement Blocks!"

Air Rifle that Shoots through Cement Blocks! - YouTube

klmmicro
02-15-2013, 20:51
I have owned pellet guns for years. I have a .177 Benjamin pump rifle (BJ-397) and matching pistol. I also have a Benjamin .22 springer. I shoot the pump guns a lot. A few pumps keeps the sound down so I can shoot targets in front of a trap in the living room. The .22 is insanely loud. It will push a 12 grain pellet to about 950 FPS, so it is powerful (read LOUD) enough that I only use it outdoors where open space is plentiful.

I did not buy them because of any shortage. I just like air driven projectile weapons. Propellent is plentiful and they are legal to shoot in a lot of areas off limits to fire arms.

Gamo seems to make a lot of rifles that are reasonably priced and worth the money. Any of them should provide great value and fun.

China boy
02-15-2013, 21:15
The attached photo is my custom 1377 converted to .22 I built with a 2 stage trigger amongst other goodies. Its a lot of fun to shoot and you don't have to go to the range to use it.

You could buy a 1377, 1322 (pump) or 2240 (co2) from crosman. Check out their site. PM me if you want to know where to find info to customize them. Its addicting though, just a warning.

Snaps
02-15-2013, 21:36
no pellet guns but i'm shopping airsoft guns pretty hard lately.

LASTRESORT20
02-15-2013, 21:55
Been thinking about picking one up.....trying to learn about them...

*177....22.....25 caliber`s

light ammo moves fast....heavy ammo slower but more effect with air guns

`break-barrel spring or CO2.....?
I found this one

Gamo Socom Extreme .25 Cal Air Rifle w/3-9x50

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/airgundepot_2250_76308254

"The Gamo Socom Extreme Air Rifle shoots .25 cal. PBAŽ pellets at an incredible 1050 fps and a respectable 850 fps. with match grade pellets with Lead"
Action: Break Barrel
Power plant: Spring Piston

Here is another interesting one:

"Hatsan 99 .25 cal break barrel air rifle"

Hatsan 99 .25 cal break barrel air rifle - YouTube

Cole125
02-15-2013, 22:36
LASTRESORT20- Cool videos thanks for posting.

klmmicro
02-16-2013, 00:25
Most modern break barrel .177 cal pellet rifles will harvest rabbits out to about 30 yards without much issue. I have harvested ring neck dove with head shots and 40 and 50 yards, smaller animals at further ranges. The types of pellet ammunition for .177 is plentiful and can be bought at local shops.

.22 is a bit better for knocking small game around and definitely has a power advantage at all like distances. I think that it is much better (easier) to shoot at longer distances when using heavier pellets. Pellets are a bit harder to find and I rarely see them at the big chain stores in my area. If they do have them, they are always the light weight flat faced target type.

.25 is all about mail order, unless you are really lucky and have a special local shop. It is bordering on .22 Long Rifle power, but without some of the stigma and restrictions. I have shot a few break barrel .25's and they feel about the same as my .22 Benji.

Springers or pump types are probably the best as you have only to carry the weapon and a pack of pellets. They always shoot the same as each shot is pushed by an equal charge. Straight CO2 rifles will save you some work on the cocking arm/barrel break/pump...but you have an added expense and bother (just my take) with the compressed cartridges. PCP (not a drug) type allow you to use compressed air and can be charged at home or in the field. This is great for the lager calibers, like .25 and 9mm.

Anyway, it is a great subset of the shooting world to get into. Tons of fun, a whole lot of technical stuff to play with (if you are into that) and relatively inexpensive. There is always an ammunition supply and it is doubtful that the "mad ban hammer" will focus on them any time soon...though I could be wrong in our current climate of hopliophobia.

collim1
02-16-2013, 16:49
I bought a used bow. For now its distracting me from the gun game. Being able to shoot in the backyard is a big plus.

China boy
02-16-2013, 17:47
Pyramidair.com and Amazon always have pellets of all sizes.

Mattkcc
02-16-2013, 18:19
If you are going to use it for target practice and not hunting you don't want to get the 1,000 fps guns. A springer that shoots around 600 fps will be much easier to cock and easier on what ever you use as a target back stop. Also, if you buy a springer you have to learn the proper method of holding it. You don't want a firm grip, when you fire the gun it should slide straight back into your shoulder. When my son was young we had a blast shooting those little plastic toy soldiers. My son would use a Crossman C02 which work great but my 1000 fps springer would tear them up and send them flying all over the basement.

fallenangelhim
03-18-2013, 06:53
I wanted to buy an Airsoft shotgun. Full metal supposedly. But it was only $35 and that scares me. Too good to be true.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

repooc
03-18-2013, 07:38
I got a .22 pellet for varmit control around the house. Works great, nice and quiet and effective on little critters.

Revvv
03-18-2013, 08:01
I have a gamo varmint hunter HP. It shoots .177 pba pellets at 1400fps and standard lead at 1000fps. I love that rifle.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

gooffeyguy
03-18-2013, 08:10
In Illinois any air gun with a velocity over 700fps requires a FOID card for purchase just like a firearm