Walther P22 - nothing but a click [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Walther P22 - nothing but a click

Glk4Evrnevr
02-17-2013, 10:23
Hi everyone,

My brother-in-law just purchased a P22 for his wife; they were going out to target shoot with it when they had an issue. He called me and told me that when they would attempt to fire, nothing would happen except a "click". He would even try to fire SA - he'd pull the trigger & the hammer would drop, but just a "click" would occur and the cartridge wouldn't be touched.

Does the P22's trigger lock feature actually just lock the firing pin? He said he can move the trigger fully to the rear. He also told me that he could not find a key for the trigger lock in the box even though this gun is NIB.

Any help would be appreciated, as I have never handled a P22 before.

Dave.1
02-17-2013, 10:37
Sorry, no offense, but I have to ask the obvious. Is the Safety Lever down? It should be up.

It's not a decocker, it just blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin. And you can fire all day DA/SA and all it will do is click.

Dave

Glk4Evrnevr
02-17-2013, 10:42
Sorry, no offense, but I have to ask the obvious. Is the Safety Lever down? It should be up.

It's not a decocker, it just blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin. And you can fire all day DA/SA and all it will do is click.

Dave

I want to say yes - I just need to ask him. :whistling:

Dave.1
02-17-2013, 11:12
Glk4Evrnevr, just for reference, here's a pic of an older P22. I doubt they've changed much.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/darock2/P22Lock_zpsd2d397c2.jpg

That's the key with the round end and it serves to lock/unlock and I think change the front sights too. Been a while.

The lock is off in the pic, F/S and it only locks the trigger bar, not the firing pin. Also, top left you can see the Safety in the safe position.

I hope that's all the problem is. Most other things that go wrong involve messing with the mechanics when it's disassembled.

Dave

Glk4Evrnevr
02-17-2013, 20:29

Dave

I spoke with him - it was the safety. :supergrin: It wasn't fully disengaged. Thanks for the help and for posting that pic.

Dave.1
02-18-2013, 06:29
Glad they got it figured out.

Hope they got to do some shooting!

Dave

ShotRePeter
02-18-2013, 09:32
my p22 does some funky stuff too, when the safety is off, it will not fire from double action, only when the hammer is a back, once its back, its runs fine

Dave.1
02-18-2013, 09:51
That is a common problem, ShotRePeter. Your trigger spring is weak, either from age but most often from pulling the trigger back too far when the pistol is disassembled. It over winds and weakens the spring.

Go to this link for a discussion and fix. You will have to disassemble the pistol. Lots of good info here.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296603

And for any one interested a link to the "P22 Bible".
http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

Dave