gun for mom [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : gun for mom

win
02-17-2013, 19:10
I am wanting to get some input on a handgun for mom. She passed the carry class. Just waiting on the state to finish paper work. She has a .38 now. She is wanting an auto. The big factor here is money. She can sell or trade the .38 but will not have a budget for a $500 gun.
I was looking at kahr cm9 or cw9 or a beretta nano. I would really like her to able to get a m&p9c or a glock 19.
Probably go used to save some money. Just want to get your thought and see what I am missing or forgetting. I will have her hold a few and see what she likes.
She is not really a gun person one is enough. She likes shooting just not collecting.
I told her to go 9mm. Mainly because of cost.
thanks for your help

RGbiker
02-17-2013, 19:25
I assume she has a .38spl revolver?

My opinion: if her revolver is of good quality (S&W, Ruger, Colt), then she should keep it and spend extra money on ammo and range time for practice. A 5 or 6 shot .38spl is a good defensive handgun, with enough practice.

There are cleaning, lube and chambering issues with semi autos, which may turn her off shooting all together.

hogship
02-17-2013, 19:27
If she now has a carry permit, knowing how she intends to pack it would make a difference on the choice.

All those you mentioned would be good choices.

ooc

win
02-17-2013, 19:35
I not sure if she knows how she will carry it. I told her it needs to be on her person. I am not sure if she believes me.
She has a s&w mod 10.
I am not sure why she wants something different. Just trying to help out.
thanks again

glock2740
02-17-2013, 19:48
I b ought my Mom an SP101 .357 Mag w/Crimson Laser grips a few years ago. She keeps it loaded with .38+P's. Great gun. :cool:

HKLovingIT
02-17-2013, 19:56
Well cost wise an auto is going to have additional expense like magazines, etc. The manual of arms and maintenance is a bit more to remember than a revolver.

Anyway maybe look into the Shield. Or if she's not going to carry it something like the Smith SD 9. A used G19 or M&Pc is good stuff.

Take her to the store and make sure she can work the slide. Take her to the range and make sure shooting a smaller 9 is not objectionable to her.
:wavey:

hogship
02-17-2013, 20:00
I not sure if she knows how she will carry it. I told her it needs to be on her person. I am not sure if she believes me.
She has a s&w mod 10.
I am not sure why she wants something different. Just trying to help out.
thanks again

If that Smith model 10 is in good shape, she could get enough from the sale to make her budget expand a bit.

If it were a snubnose in real good shape, she could have some money left over......

ooc

S9Man
02-17-2013, 20:04
I'd take her shooting and have her try out various SA handguns. Doe's she have issues with "limp wristing"? Recoil? Working the slide, dropping a mag, reloading, ect? I would for sure have her take a test drive on semi autos before she buys one.

4 glocks
02-17-2013, 21:44
I have a Kahr CM9 and the slide is very hard to rack.
My GF can not rack it, but can rack every other auto I own.

If she wants something small a Ruger LCP is around $300
or LC9.

janice6
02-17-2013, 21:49
My wife carries either a S&W 642 or a Beretta Tomcat (tip-up barrel). She simply does not have the arm strength to rack a slide on a semi-auto. She has tried everything. The smaller the pistol the stiffer the recoil spring.

You do what you must.

Will Beararms
02-17-2013, 21:50
Ruger SR9c

ithaca_deerslayer
02-17-2013, 21:56
I have not shot a Ruger LC9 yet, nor has my wife. We both like how it holds and are convinced it should be a great women's gun, based on reviews, and how it holds. But only if you like a safety, which we do not, so we haven't bought an LC9.

I have a Kahr PM9. That and the CW9 would be a good choice if concealment is most important. They are shootable, small, but not too bad with recoil. Probably less felt recoil than the smaller Ruger LCP in .380. But slide is tricky to rack a round with the Kahr. Mine had nosedives, too, that I fixed. But really still a great carry gun because it is so small.

The Ruger LCP is great, too, if you are ok with .380.

For the best guns on the planet, there is of course the Glock 26. Blocky, but still small enough, and very reliable and robust. If you want a fuller grip, get the 19.

Without even knowing a woman, I suggest the 26 as the starting place for a carry gun :)