How many US citizens are ineligible to buy guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many US citizens are ineligible to buy guns?

jbailey8
02-19-2013, 08:25
I've been thinking a lot lately about how us pro 2nd guys can go about destigmatizing guns and it got me wondering. Why does the government need to ban any kinds if guns when it's much more acceptable to ban certain people from owning guns? Also, what percentage of our population is ineligible too purchase guns because of domestic violence, felonies, "mental illness"?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

volsbear
02-19-2013, 08:27
We already "ban" certain persons from owning guns. The problem is that the "ban" isn't particularly effective because those persons are already predisposed to breaking the law (and violating the "ban").

I doubt you'll see much hard data (none that's reliable) assigning a number to how many people are prohibited from gun ownership. A wild ass guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15% are KNOWN to be ineligible to own a firearm and another 10% probably shouldn't because of mental health issues but we'll never know about them unless they do something stupid.

KevinFACE
02-19-2013, 09:07
People are the problem, not the tools they use.

SJ 40
02-19-2013, 10:10
We already "ban" certain persons from owning guns. The problem is that the "ban" isn't particularly effective because those persons are already predisposed to breaking the law (and violating the "ban").

I doubt you'll see much hard data (none that's reliable) assigning a number to how many people are prohibited from gun ownership. A wild ass guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15% are KNOWN to be ineligible to own a firearm and another 10% probably shouldn't because of mental health issues but we'll never know about them unless they do something stupid.This,covers the question. SJ 40

The_Gun_Guru
02-19-2013, 10:31
I know of at least 21,000,000....

the ones that aren't supposed to be here!

TGG

jbailey8
02-19-2013, 10:43

I doubt you'll see much hard data (none that's reliable) assigning a number to how many people are prohibited from gun ownership. A wild ass guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15% are KNOWN to be ineligible to own a firearm and another 10% probably shouldn't because of mental health issues but we'll never know about them unless they do something stupid. I figured somewhere around there, but let's look at this; if 20-25% of the (adult) population can't (or shouldn't) own guns and another 20-25% are anti gun then no wonder we have such a hard time trying to convince people that guns aren't the problem. The ineligebles don't care and the antis typically can't be swayed to look pass there stupidity. That leaves half (MAYBE) that care.

Since we don't have a majority in the matter then what can we do on a personal level to raise awareness? I know it may sound stupid to some, but I have been open carrying more and engaging my friends and family to learn and understand more about guns. I've taken some friends shooting and gave my mom some tips on buying her first gun.

volsbear
02-19-2013, 10:47
Since we don't have a majority in the matter then what can we do on a personal level to raise awareness?

Take a friend shooting that's never been before. Offer to accompany a friend doing something you've never done before in return.