How are you guys determing prices? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How are you guys determing prices?

Raz-n-co
02-19-2013, 09:12
I am conflicted!!!! :dunno:

I am looking to sell some guns to fund other projects.
Prices are all over the place, I feel like I am gouging people, but then I can't replace these items for the same money.

I see people saying I'll pay reasonable prices? How are you determining reasonable in today's market?

sappy13
02-19-2013, 09:13
Sell fir current market value. They want it. You have it. And like you said, if you sell for pre panic values you can't replace it

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

4 glocks
02-19-2013, 12:47
I think the best place to sell now is on Gunbroker.
I sold a couple guns in the last two months and could not believe what they sold for. Just put a starting price with the least you would take and see what happens. You do need to factor in GB fees and FFL fees(buyer pays). This way you are not price gouging anyone just letting supply and demand determine the price. I sold a mint Ruger service six for about $300 more than I expected and the buyer was very happy with it. I time my auctions to end on the weekends when more people are at home.

02-19-2013, 13:24
If someone willingly pays your asking price, you are not gouging.

"Reasonable" prices are whatever someone will pay - whatever that is.

Price it high, especially if you can't replace it at any price - you can always lower your price.

Bruce M
02-19-2013, 16:01
My guess is that for the vast majority of people who are purchasing guns right now, the purchases are a luxury, rather than a necessity. Based on that presumption I would not feel guilty asking towards the upper end of the price spectrum. My guess is that prices will stabilize and even come down a bit on some things such as sixty dollar Glock magazines.

3rdgen40
02-19-2013, 16:12
The higher the price the more determined these idiots are to buy it.The number of morons paying $2K and up for $800 AR's just amazes me.

itisbruno
02-19-2013, 22:53

Price it high, especially if you can't replace it at any price - you can always lower your price.

Good advice, set a reserveor starting price @ your bottom dollar and a "Buy it now" price hundreds of $$ more ... never know what some PEOPLE WILL PAY (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=329436516)

vafish
02-20-2013, 05:53
Create accounts on gunbroker and gunauction web sites.

Do an advanced search for guns that have actually sold, not just the ones people are listing.

That will give you an idea of the market value.

Remember anyone buying off those sites is also paying shipping and a dealer transfer fee on top of the price listed.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

PVolk
02-20-2013, 14:35
I use GunBroker to gauge current value. I figure an auction site will show the prices people are actually currently paying, not just listing value or advertised/asking price.

AK74play
02-20-2013, 20:47
I cant even comprehend why gun owners are gouging other gun owners and making it harder on anyone looking for anything. Panic caused the shortage, it didn't make them cost more. This is personal preferance and the day will come when they will wish they hadn't done it just like befor. To me no gun is worth 1 penny more than what it Blue Books for, just like automobiles. If your stupid enough to pay it you dont understand that their not the only game in town. It's a big country out there and there are still some willing to sell for real prices.

02-20-2013, 20:59
I cant even comprehend why gun owners are gouging other gun owners and making it harder on anyone looking for anything. Panic caused the shortage, it didn't make them cost more. This is personal preferance and the day will come when they will wish they hadn't done it just like befor. To me no gun is worth 1 penny more than what it Blue Books for, just like automobiles. If your stupid enough to pay it you dont understand that their not the only game in town. It's a big country out there and there are still some willing to sell for real prices.

Who sets the prices/values for blue book and what's that figure based on?

If you say market value, the market changed - drastically- with the election and sandyhook -those values at the time of printing are no longer valid.

M2 Carbine
02-20-2013, 22:08
How are you guys determing prices?
As a matter of fact I'm selling a gun this week.
I don't especially want to but a lady I'm helping with her shooting wants the gun. Third time this has happened.

With a couple extra mags, some spare parts, and a 40 S&W conversion I probably have $500 plus in the gun.

I'm selling it for $250, a good price and I'll probably throw in some 9mm ammo.

I just figure what's a fair price and maybe sell it a little below that.
I don't care what the current situation happens to be, like the current shortage. I just do what I think is fair or I wouldn't be selling the gun.

Raz-n-co
02-23-2013, 10:57
Here is an email string from this dork.

On Feb 20, 2013, at 4:50 AM, replyrequested@armslist.com wrote:

Message from: co556guy@gmail.com

Message regarding: p230
I'd be interested at around $400, which is what this pistol is actually really worth unless you are trying to sell to someone who isn't legal....

On Feb 20, 2013 5:59 AM, wrote:
Really? Show me where you can find one for that price with 500 rounds of ammo and buy it.
I've had 9 people ask about, can't be that over priced.

On Feb 20, 2013, at 7:12 AM, Adam Belew <co556guy@gmail.com> wrote:

Then sell it to them.

On Feb 21, 2013 7:22 AM, wrote:
Adam,
Just thought I would let you know, I sold my .380 it to the first guy that emailed for $800. It's funny he was excited & more than willing to pay that. So much so he wanted to know if I had anything else to sell.

Thanks for your "expert" opinion. Next time if you don't want to pay the going rate don't, but don't bother legitimate sellers, just move on.

Hans,

Glad you got your asking price. Glad i didnt pay it. What it is worth to me, what it is worth to the guy trying to buy in a panic and to a guy in mumbai is going to be different.

I offered a sum that i was willing to pay. I got outbid. Im ok with that.

Im free to offer whatever i want. You are free to accept or reject. I will not stop offering what im willing to pay when i see something i desire, but i dont NEED to buy, which puts me in a good position.

------------------------------------

soo........... How would you guys respond to this?

railfancwb
02-23-2013, 11:10
I would say "Thanks for your interest in my auction(s). Please continue to check back, as I might list something at a price you are willing to pay."

And I would not solicit/encourage/accept email offers while the listing is active. It is an auction. If they want it, let them bid against others who might also want it. If no one else bids, they by definition got it at a price they were willing to pay.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

method
02-23-2013, 11:15
Why would you respond to it?

Like others have said, check recent completed auctions.

Raz-n-co
02-23-2013, 11:24
Why would you respond to it?

Like others have said, check recent completed auctions.

I should have just let it go... But it's really bugging, I know it shouldn't.

mehttp://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/tempted.gif

I sold the gun and ammo for the going rate on gunbroker to a great guy locally. Great suggestion!!

Lvs1935
02-23-2013, 11:28
I think the best place to sell now is on Gunbroker.
I sold a couple guns in the last two months and could not believe what they sold for. Just put a starting price with the least you would take and see what happens. You do need to factor in GB fees and FFL fees(buyer pays). This way you are not price gouging anyone just letting supply and demand determine the price. I sold a mint Ruger service six for about $300 more than I expected and the buyer was very happy with it. I time my auctions to end on the weekends when more people are at home.

What he said. If the bidding goes up you have no reason to feel bad about it. Any item is worth what someone is willing to pay. I only get irritated when somebody has a stupid opening bid to start with.

Ruggles
02-23-2013, 11:42
What he said. If the bidding goes up you have no reason to feel bad about it. Any item is worth what someone is willing to pay. I only get irritated when somebody has a stupid opening bid to start with.

And there are some really crazy starting prices out there. Many you see with 0 bids with 2 mins left on auction. :rofl:

People are either overly greedy or out of touch on some of these auctions.

Warp
02-23-2013, 11:47
The most accurate method would be to put it on an auction site and let the market sort it out.

Start with a low opening bid, perhaps what you paid for the item back in a normal market, and no reserve. You get what you get.

4 glocks
02-23-2013, 13:21
I should have just let it go... But it's really bugging, I know it shouldn't.

mehttp://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/tempted.gif

I sold the gun and ammo for the going rate on gunbroker to a great guy locally. Great suggestion!!

Yes just let it go. I have been selling online for several years and you get all kinds of BS offers, armslist is the worst.

I have had several people make offers on a gun and when I said yes they backed out of the offer.

The BS is just part of the game. You can always say no,
every time I did someone always came along paid my price with time.

Gunbroker is the way to go.

Warp
02-23-2013, 15:23
Yes just let it go. I have been selling online for several years and you get all kinds of BS offers

Some people get royally pissed off when they are unwilling or unable to pay the asking price.

Recently I purchased 3,500 rounds of M855 (2k Federal and 1.5k Danish) and then re-sold it for virtually-zero profit. I was asking $0.65 per round + my costs.

I got a PM offer for $0.50 per round. When I politely declined I got a hate mail response about *******s jacking up prices for no reason. I guess the fact that the Federal cost me $0.6225 per round wasn't a good enough reason not to sell it for $0.50. :upeyes:

The_Gun_Guru
02-23-2013, 16:27

^this^

I'm thinking about selling my Walther p1 on Gunbroker because I want to get something else. I won't price gouge but I also want to get as much as I can for it.

I believe that gunbroker determines current value on pretty much everything :-)

TGG

manonmars
02-24-2013, 13:13
I'm selling a few Kimber Rifles, a few shotguns, etc, and a Yankee Hill 223/556.
I have an ad up at my local gun range.

I'm asking $12,000,000 for the Yankee Hill, because it includes 3- 30 round mags.

Is this too high?:supergrin::upeyes::shocked: