Poor Man's Scout Rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Scout Rifle

CAcop
02-19-2013, 12:08
Just wondering if anyone has read this book. I am going to build one due to me being left handed and want to read as much as I can before I start.

Sadly with CA going the way it is a bolt action with a stripper clip guide just might be the best choice for anything beyond shotgun range.

Will Beararms
02-19-2013, 12:29
The most realistic Manure-Hit-The-Fan scenario for us is a collapse of our financial system. In which case, I would repair to the family cottage in the country and co-op with our neighbors. I would avoid populated areas. In which case, I believe a bolt action rifle from say a Remington 700, Browning A Bolt. Winchester Model 70 or Ruger M77 platform is the ticket. The upper end Savages would work also.

This is just me but I fell much more prepared with some 870's a a well made bolt action or two than I do an AR or AK variant for a lot of reasons.

Glock30Eric
02-19-2013, 13:03
Yeah with the bolt action rifle for SHTF.

byf43
02-19-2013, 13:17
Just wondering if anyone has read this book. I am going to build one due to me being left handed and want to read as much as I can before I start.

Sadly with CA going the way it is a bolt action with a stripper clip guide just might be the best choice for anything beyond shotgun range.

I used to shoot High Power Rifle with a guy that got a Remington 700 (.308) and had the rear receiver ring machined to accept a stripper clip.
Looked kinda funny, but, it sure was fast to reload!!!

CAcop
02-19-2013, 20:42
I used to shoot High Power Rifle with a guy that got a Remington 700 (.308) and had the rear receiver ring machined to accept a stripper clip.

Was he able to get all five rounds into the magazine?

phonejack
02-19-2013, 20:57
Remington's hold four
Winchesters hold five

Stephenthesuave
02-19-2013, 21:17

It was probably one of the 40x repeaters. I believe that those came with clip slots in .308 and were the actions used for the M24 and M40.

byf43
02-20-2013, 07:24
Was he able to get all five rounds into the magazine?

Going strictly by memory, I THINK so!!!
This was a heavily modified Remington 700. He shot in "Match Rifle" category, where everyone else at our club was shooting "Service Rifle".
Bastige shot the center out of the Prone - Slow Fire target.
(Granted, we shot 100 and 200 yards, on a reduced course of fire.)

I got a pretty close look at that 700.
His gunsmith had taken the measurements from an '03 Springfield and made the cut-out for the stripper clip guide.
The 'cut' looked 'factory', other than a couple of machining marks.

The last time I saw that rifle, was in '95 or '96.

ETA: I've been thinking about this - In High Power Rifle Matches, with 'gas guns' you load 2 rounds, then 8, per string. (Other than "Slow Fire" stages.)
In 'bolt guns', you load 5 rounds, then 5 rounds.
So, that Remmy 700 would be required to take 5 rounds from the stripper clip.

It was probably one of the 40x repeaters. I believe that those came with clip slots in .308 and were the actions used for the M24 and M40.

No, this was a Remmy 700 in .308. That, I'm sure of.

Brucev
02-20-2013, 08:56
Get one of the short Mosin-Nagant's and put a scout scope on it. The 7.62 Russian round is extremely effective. Ball ammo is cheaper than just about anything else on the market.

Another option for a less expensive scout rifle would be a M-98 w/ the same scope using standard 8x57mm ammo. In decent condition these rifles are extremely accurate. U.S. ammo is loaded about like a .30-40 Krag. However the European loads are real screamers. And 8mm ball loaded to German standards ala WWII is supremely effective against just about any target one might encounter.

Finally, in my opinion the ultimate scout rifle is a M-1 Garand w/ a scout scope mounted on a AMEGA Range mount. There is not anything in this world that cannot be handled with a M-1 Garand loaded with M-2 ball... or AP.

Cole125
02-20-2013, 10:45

What do you mean the way California is going? There is no way that BS they are proposing is going to pass there. If you think people are just going hand over their AR15s, Mini 14s, M1As, your wrong. Gun owners have drawn their line in the sand and aren't going to take it anymore.

JDSTG58
02-20-2013, 20:40
If you're interested in a .308 bolt action that takes stripper clips look at the RFI Enfield 2a or 2a1. It's a 12 shot Enfield made for 7.62, not rechambered. Navy arms and Gibbs cut some of them down to make "Jungle Carbines". They are short and handy. The Enfield action is nice. A well trained Brit could do the Mad Minute- 30 shots on a 30 inch target at 200 yards in one minute. This rifle was designed to feed stripper clips fast. Best of all they can stil be had for under $300.

CAcop
02-21-2013, 12:27
Thanks for the suggestions. The reason why I never went surplus is because of being left handed. Would a right hander buy a left handed rifle if they could avoid it?

As for the Ruger Scout would the magazine they use work with stripper clips? I was under the impression that the mag was single column like a 1911 vs dual column like an AR mag. It is hard to tell from pics online.

Chuck66
02-21-2013, 14:10
If you're interested in a .308 bolt action that takes stripper clips look at the RFI Enfield 2a or 2a1. It's a 12 shot Enfield made for 7.62, not rechambered. Navy arms and Gibbs cut some of them down to make "Jungle Carbines". They are short and handy. The Enfield action is nice. A well trained Brit could do the Mad Minute- 30 shots on a 30 inch target at 200 yards in one minute. This rifle was designed to feed stripper clips fast. Best of all they can stil be had for under $300.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishapore_2A1_rifle

That's a pretty sweet looking rifle. I've never cared a whit about surplus guns until just a few weeks ago and I've started to develop an interest and I was planning on going with a Mosin for my first, but I think I'll redirect to that RFI. :cool:

deputy tom
02-21-2013, 14:17
Around seventeen years ago among our circle of friends it was popular to build scouts from Ishapore Enfields. The guns were under $100. and we had the gunsmith mount scout scopes which were at the time around $100. and $50. for the mounts,labor,etc. Cheap Argentine ammo worked well with them and life was good. Today I would not know where to begin such a project. Good luck in your endeavor. tom.:cool:

ETA we even made home made ching slings.

JDSTG58
02-21-2013, 19:20
Thanks for the suggestions. The reason why I never went surplus is because of being left handed. Would a right hander buy a left handed rifle if they could avoid it?

As for the Ruger Scout would the magazine they use work with stripper clips? I was under the impression that the mag was single column like a 1911 vs dual column like an AR mag. It is hard to tell from pics online.

Sorry I didn't read the left handed part..........

slumpmaster
02-21-2013, 21:25
I'm also a lefty. I have found that Savage is one of the few companies that has courted our business for quite a while.

You may be able to find an older (pre-accutrigger) Savage 10/110 fairly cheaply, and have the reciever machined for stripper clips. The actions are strong, relatively inexpensive, and Savage barrels are good. The pre-accutrigger guns still have adjustable triggers (mine did, at least).

slumpmaster
02-21-2013, 21:29
I'm also a lefty. I have found that Savage is one of the few companies that has courted our business for quite a while.

You may be able to find an older (pre-accutrigger) Savage 10/110 fairly cheaply, and have the reciever machined for stripper clips. The actions are strong, relatively inexpensive, and Savage barrels are good. The pre-accutrigger guns still have adjustable triggers (mine did, at least).

ETA: Or, you could invest in a cheap bolt action .22, and train yourself to shoot right handed. I tried it, and it has taken awhile, but I'm now fairly comfortable shooting righty. Still prefer left handed if I have the choice.

CAcop
02-22-2013, 00:37
ETA: Or, you could invest in a cheap bolt action .22, and train yourself to shoot right handed. I tried it, and it has taken awhile, but I'm now fairly comfortable shooting righty. Still prefer left handed if I have the choice.

A right hand .22 is why i want to go left handed. The only way a right hand bolt works for me is shooting from a bench or bipod at paper.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

AK_Stick
02-22-2013, 00:49

Is not designed to work with stripper clips, and I don't really think you could make it.

Would be easier to mod a M-14 mag for use in a Rem 700 or 40X with stripper clips. And that is a fairly lengthy and expensive mod.

AK_Stick
02-22-2013, 00:52
Honestly, the "cheapest" way to do this, might be to get a left handed Savage 110, and turn it into the 110FCM with the addition of the scout scope mount.

If you can stand the Savage action, it would be a great rifle, and darn accurate.

clancy
02-22-2013, 04:20
How about a Winchester 94 or Marlin 336. Lever actions are left hand friendly, the .30-.30 cartridge is capable to 150 yards with a scope, and you don't have to worry about running out of stripper clips.

mac66
02-22-2013, 07:42
nevermind

RonS
02-22-2013, 15:37
The Ruger Scout rifle POLYMER magazines can be loaded from stripper clips but only out of the rifle. Search YouTube for a video. I consider that pretty pointless unless you can only afford one or two magazines, IMHO, YMMV etc.

If I were left handed I would buy a Remington 7600 or Browning 81 take down. The takedown comes with the scout scope rail installed. Down side is that both use detachable mags and I think they only hold 4 rounds. Pump or lever. And probably several hundred dollars more for the Browning, but you are very close to a scout out of the box.

Poor mans scout only in comparison to:
http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_bolt_rifle_scout.html

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=003B&cid=034&tid=011

http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/pump-action-model-7600.aspx