Lone Wolf vs. Storm Lake Barrels [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf vs. Storm Lake Barrels

TJ Superfly
02-19-2013, 12:38
I'm looking at getting a conversion barrel for my G27 .40 to 9mm. The Storm Lake is about an extra $40. Is it worth it?

crazymoose
02-19-2013, 13:10
Depends how much you expect out of the barrel. The Storm Lake is generally better made and should be a bit more accurate.

motorcyclist
02-19-2013, 13:19
I've had 2 Lone Wolf conversion barrels. Didn't have a problem with either and found them to be very accurate. Keep in mind the POI changes with the barrel swap, at least that's what I found.

ilgunguygt
02-19-2013, 14:43
I would recommend thoroughly searching thse forums, specifically look in the reloading forum. Read what locked threads that are about 500 posts long and make your own decision. The arguments are there for and against, with all sides weighing in, including the owner of the company.

WiskyT
02-19-2013, 15:01
This is a stock barrel at 25 yards off-hand. If this isn't good enough, you probably need a different gun.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/PC200010.jpg

KalashniKEV
02-19-2013, 15:09
This is a stock barrel at 25 yards off-hand. If this isn't good enough, you probably need a different gun.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/PC200010.jpg

You didn't read the OP, did you? He's asking about conversion barrels.

I have both Storm Lake and LWD(threaded) conversion barrels for my G23. They both work great, though I have taken to leaving the LWD in 99% of the time now.

WiskyT
02-19-2013, 15:16
You didn't read the OP, did you? He's asking about conversion barrels.

I have both Storm Lake and LWD(threaded) conversion barrels for my G23. They both work great, though I have taken to leaving the LWD in 99% of the time now.

Huh?

He asked about conversion barrels. I answered him.

ETA: Oh, wait, nevermind

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/labwriter/LT%20Images/Emily_LItella.jpg

2-8 Marine
02-19-2013, 15:20
I can't say about Storm Lake barrels as I have no experience with them. However, Both me and my neighboor - shooting partner, use our own Lone Wolf barrels to convert or G27s to 9mm and .357 sig respectively. Neither of us has had any problems with FTFs, FTEs or loss of accuracy. All four barrels have been flawless.

Trigger Finger
02-19-2013, 16:13
I like Lone Wolf barrels, mainly for the price you pay. The other brands might be more accurate but the LW is plenty accurate enough for me. I have about 5 LW barrels.

If I am going to carry for self defense or home protection I would go with the original Glock barrel, or the barrel that came with the gun new. Thats just me.

I Shooter
02-19-2013, 16:14
I can't say anything about Storm Lake Barrels. I do have a L.W. barrel that is a paper weight.

I bought the barrel with the compensator for Glock 36. They sent it to me and it wouldn't shoot anything. The ramp hadn't been polished. It had the black coating on it and tooling marks.

I cleaned it up with some polishing. It then would shoot the FMJ but wouldn't shoot HP. I sent it back to L.W. and there gun smith called me and said that they couldn't get it to shoot any thing and did I want them to send it back or my money.

I said send it back. Because I knew that I had it shooting F. M. J. bullets and thought with a little work I could get it to shoot H.P. When I got the barrel back it looked as if they had dun nothing to it.

I called and explained that the barrel from the factory looked nothing like the barrel they sent me. I sent him pictures of what the barrel looked like and he said he would make me a barrel like the factory barrel with a compensator.

I waited almost a year. Then E-mailed them only to get an answer back from a woman that said we sent you a barrel back and we consider the case closed.

That was how I spent $180 for a paper weight. The barrel is of no use to anyone at this point. I think they should have made it work or take it off there sight for sale. Last time I looked they still sell the compensated barrel for the Glock 36. If they are selling one that works why don't I have one? If they don't why is it still for sale?

dkf
02-19-2013, 17:12
Is $40 worth buying a US made barrel to you? If yes buy the Storm Lake or KKM. If no buy the Lone Wolf. I would rather pay the extra $40.

You didn't read the OP, did you? He's asking about conversion barrels. Don't mind WiskyT, he just likes posting that picture. (Notice how he covers the flyers with the gun.:whistling:)

WiskyT
02-19-2013, 18:21
Is $40 worth buying a US made barrel to you? If yes buy the Storm Lake or KKM. If no buy the Lone Wolf. I would rather pay the extra $40.

Don't mind WiskyT, he just likes posting that picture. (Notice how he covers the flyers with the gun.:whistling:)

Piling on? Okay, if that's the way it's going to be, I'll just wait for you to slip up...

KK40384
02-19-2013, 18:24
U.S. made Storm Lake or foreign made LW. Hmmmmm no brainer. I have both and I can tell you I regret spending $40 less for a LW. When it comes to barrels you get what you pay for. Not knocking LW because they are fine but comparing them to Storm Lake they come up short in fit and finish.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

RoyHinkley
02-19-2013, 18:30
When looking for one last week the only one I could find in stock anywhere was the LW, so I ordered it. Have you found the Storm Lake anywhere?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SJ 40
02-19-2013, 18:33
I would recommend thoroughly searching thse forums, specifically look in the reloading forum. Read what locked threads that are about 500 posts long and make your own decision. The arguments are there for and against, with all sides weighing in, including the owner of the company.I think you may mean this thread.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663&highlight=warning+LWD+barrels
It goes on for something like 21 pages,what it does do is give one some insight to LWD's representative and there business outlook.
I had no dog in the dust up but after reading it ,well I made up my mind and I"m still shooting lead out of my OEM barrels. SJ 40

ak103k
02-19-2013, 18:35
Ive had three LW barrels, and they all worked fine. Dropped right in, and run like the factory barrels. I never noticed a shift in POA/POI with them either.

I never had a Storm Lake, but I havent yet seen the need to spend the extra money for one either.

WiskyT
02-19-2013, 18:37
I think you may mean this thread.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663&highlight=warning+LWD+barrels
It goes on for something like 21 pages,what it does do is give one some insight to LWD's representative and there business outlook.
I had no dog in the dust up but after reading it ,well I made up my mind and I"m still shooting lead out of my OEM barrels. SJ 40

Classic stuff there.

Zombie Steve
02-19-2013, 18:43
Storm Lake or KKM.

My opinions of LW are on page 1 of the aforementioned thread.

ETA: Oh yeah. And a very important point on page 8.

:whistling:

dkf
02-19-2013, 19:29
Piling on? Okay, if that's the way it's going to be, I'll just wait for you to slip up...

You won't have to wait long.:embarassed: