Who to use for Hard Chrome on a revolver? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who to use for Hard Chrome on a revolver?

Narkcop
02-20-2013, 20:54
I am looking at buying a mechanically sound Colt Python that has finish issues. Some slight pitting. I want to have it refinished in E nickel or hard chrome. Who would you reccomend? I talked with accurate plate and weaponry and they seemed a little high priced.

bac1023
02-20-2013, 20:56
Check out Metaloy

Rinspeed
02-20-2013, 20:59
I agree with Brian on Metaloy.

glock2740
02-20-2013, 21:39
Chris Peters at Metaloy. Best in the business. I'm going by his shop this Friday to pick up 3 of the 4 guns he's just finished hardchroming for me. :cool: I've seen some of the hardchromed revolvers he's done and they were perfect.

Wil Ufgood
02-20-2013, 22:14
My understanding is that Metaloy doesn't do flaw removal. That might be a problem if you send them a revolver with pitting issues.

Narkcop
02-21-2013, 04:50
Yes I want a refinisher that can polish some before finishing.

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2013, 06:10
My understanding is that Metaloy doesn't do flaw removal. That might be a problem if you send them a revolver with pitting issues.

I do not completely agree with this statement.
Metaloy does a lot of Pistol Smithing, this just may be something
you need to ask about

glock2740
02-21-2013, 06:48
This is something that would need to be asked to Metaloy. Also, I won't speak for Metaloy, but I know that if the gun is pitted badly enough, in Chris' opinion, that it won't come back to the client 100% perfect, he will be more than straight foward enough to let you know upfront. He is all about a perfect finish leaving his shop. That can not be said about AP Cogan IMO. I have seen crappy finishes, first hand, leave that shop and that is unacceptable and unprofessional to me.

Wil Ufgood
02-21-2013, 08:02
I do not completely agree with this statement.
Metaloy does a lot of Pistol Smithing, this just may be something
you need to ask about

From Metaloy's web page

WEB STORE PRICING GUN WORK LINKS PRIVACY POLICY
CONTACT

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Please read all of the Terms and Conditions BEFORE sending your firearm for finishing. Our business hours are M-F 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM (CST).

E-mail: metaloy@originalmetaloy.com
Fax: 866-863-1097

Ship all guns via UPS or FedEx directly to:

Metaloy Industries, Inc.
3430 Hwy. 143
Berryville, AR 72616

Metaloy accepts all major credit and debit cards, postal money orders, and cashiers checks as payment for services. Business checks are accepted if prior arrangements are made. No personal checks. At this time cards will not incur a fee for use.

All handguns must be shipped via a next day service per UPS and FedEx policies. Slides and small parts can ship ground service or US Priority Mail. No handguns can go USPS by private parties per USPS regulations. Ship directly to our shop. You do not have to go through an FFL if you own the gun.

Metaloy™ and TactiKote® are are registered trademarks of Metaloy Industries, Inc. Photos courtesy of Guncrafter Industries, LLC, Ron Phillips and Company, LLC, Manuel Newman and Harrison Design and Consulting. Using or copying and part of this web site or the photos is strictly forbidden without the express written permission of Metaloy Industries, Inc.

Return Shipping

Due to UPS and FedEx shipping regulations we only ship handguns via Fed Ex Priority Overnight. This runs approximately $50.00-$65.00 with insurance and tracking numbers to most locations. Hawaii, Alaska, Philippines, and others may be higher. Rifles, shotguns, slides and parts can ship ground service Fed Ex or USPS Priority Mail.

Shipping charges are subject to change.

Metaloy does not perform any flaw removal or polishing. We only work on firearms in good working condition. Metaloy reserves the right to refuse any gun for finish work. All prices are subject to change without notice.

Narkcop
02-21-2013, 20:29
I'll bet that ever since Fed Ex & UPS decided to rob customers shipping pistols that gunsmiths and refinishers business has decreased.
I also would like to point out that if you ship 2-3 day Fed Ex ground or UPS and they don't know what's in the box that it is a policy violation and NOT a LAW violation. Screw them.
They worry more about shipping guns than they do marijuana & cocaine. I can personally attest to that.

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2013, 20:54

From Metaloy's web page..........

Metaloy does not perform any flaw removal or polishing. We only work on firearms in good working condition. Metaloy reserves the right to refuse any gun for finish work. All prices are subject to change without notice.

Holy crap,........who gives a **** what it says. Call they guy,
you would be amazed what that can get done! :whistling:

glock2740
02-21-2013, 21:00
From Metaloy's web page...

I would still shoot Chris an email with pictures before making your own conclusions. It will be his decision on what he will "fix" and what he won't. I have had him work over some corrosion issues and polishing on a gun very recently. It depends on what it is and the extent of the "flaw". Chris is a perfectionist and only wants the best finish possible leaving his shop. You won't deal with a more up front and honest guy out there. I highly recommend him. :thumbsup:

glock2740
02-21-2013, 21:07
Holy crap,........who gives a **** what it says. Call they guy,
you would be amazed what that can get done! :whistling:
:rofl:This is good advice and pretty straight to the point. :rofl:

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2013, 21:11
Glock2740 should be the guy to know,......he has made several of Chris' house payments!

glock2740
02-21-2013, 21:25
Glock2740 should be the guy to know,......he has made several of Chris' house payments!
About to make some more. :cool: Picking up the Pro, TRP Champion, early TRP and Tac Ops. The Pistol Dynamics is still at PD getting some metal surgery before returning back to Metaloy for a hardchrome job. :supergrin:

Tiro Fijo
02-22-2013, 00:53
I know a man who had a Colt DS hard chromed and frankly, it looked like Hell. Also, some corners were oddly rounded and he said something about hydrogen(?) embrittlement. Accurate Plating did it I believe. Either way, on a revolver it looked like crap.