Gel test: 12 ga birdshot wax slug [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gel test: 12 ga birdshot wax slug

Andrew Wiggin
02-21-2013, 08:54
Gel test: 12 ga birdshot wax slug - YouTube

deputy tom
02-21-2013, 15:11
I was viewing those videos a few days ago and was getting all excited until I found the one with the bbl blown open from an obstruction. Be careful if you're going to do this. tom.

WiskyT
02-21-2013, 17:34
Five inches of penetration and no mushroom cloud, wax slugs equal FAIL.

Andrew Wiggin
02-26-2013, 10:55
Five inches of penetration and no mushroom cloud, birdshot wax slugs equal FAIL.

FIFY.

I intend to test buckshot wax slugs for the next test. I expect them to perform basically like a contact shot from regular buckshot but be able to hit at distance. They would still be less than ideal for defense because, as mentioned above, there is always the potential for there to be crap left in the barrel, it's possible for melted wax to get into the powder, and they'll melt in hot weather.

WiskyT
02-26-2013, 20:26
FIFY.

I intend to test buckshot wax slugs for the next test. I expect them to perform basically like a contact shot from regular buckshot but be able to hit at distance. They would still be less than ideal for defense because, as mentioned above, there is always the potential for there to be crap left in the barrel, it's possible for melted wax to get into the powder, and they'll melt in hot weather.

I don't know which wax is good for what, but some waxes are pretty hard and need high temps to melt. I think a strong wax to hold the heavy buck pellets together, with a high melting temp would be a pretty safe bet.

Buck wax slugs should penetrate well. I don't know if they would be any better or cheaper than a regular slug, but at least they should penetrate. I'd be interested in seeing how they do.

Andrew Wiggin
02-28-2013, 10:29
I asked my friend to make up a couple with hot glue, which ought to work really well. I really want to see what happens with B through #1 buck in hot glue. I think hot glue ought to hold together in tissue a little longer too. I think the wax broke up instantly. Hot glue ought to hold the shot together for a little distance into the block.

What intrigues me about the concept is that it appears to offer a projectile that can reach out almost as far as a real slug but destroy tissue like shot. Have your cake and shoot it too. I'm sure there are good reasons that nobody makes them commercially and I'll bet it has to do with temperature problems and debris left in the bore. Several guys have blown up their guns by shooting several wax slugs in a row.