Easy to field strip & clean AR 15 type rifles [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Easy to field strip & clean AR 15 type rifles

Oldmso54
02-21-2013, 14:43
Now that inventory is starting to come back on AR 15 type rifles I'm thinking about picking one up when prices start returning to normal.

One of the things I want in that type of rifle is something easy to field strip, clean and maintain!! I'm thinking probably .223 or 5.56 Nato caliber.

I stated AR 15 type rifles but I'd also be interested in hearing about AK 47 types regarding ease of maintenance.

Thanks in advance

collim1
02-21-2013, 14:55
I prefer the AR15 to the AK, but no doubt the AK is easier to clean thoroughly. On the other hand it doesn't take much to keep an AR running for a long time. A boresnake and a few drops of oil in the bolt and they will run. They will run dirty as crap, just not dry.

I don't have much experience with the AK, but the one my dad has will run dry and dirty for a long time.

I can't afford to shoot my AR near as much as I want to. The most I have ever shot in one sitting was 400rds. It was clean when I started and it kept running through all 400 rounds of steel Hornady.

Hard to go wrong with either one. I wouldn't let cleaning be an issue. If it is shoot it until it starts jamming and give it a cleaning. Probably only clean it once or twice a year unless you have a $600/month ammo budget.

Old School
02-21-2013, 18:17
I think the AR is easier to clean because of better access to the chamber area.

AKs are much more forgiving from a poor / lack of maintenance perspective.