Ruger mini 14 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger mini 14

pspez
02-21-2013, 21:49
What do you all think of the Mini? I am really considering the tactical with synthetic stock and alloy steel barrel. Your thoughts. Thanks

Cole125
02-21-2013, 22:20
I own both, get a decent AR15, much better rifle. More accurate, more customizable, you can get spare parts and fix it yourself if it breaks.

The_Gun_Guru
02-21-2013, 22:20
What do you all think of the Mini? I am really considering the tactical with synthetic stock and alloy steel barrel. Your thoughts. Thanks

Solid guns with a reputation for quality and reliability. I picked mine up from Bud's for $499 + transfer fee. Well-built for years of service!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/gunguru364/MISC%20Rifles/Mini-14%20GB%20Model/346005616_photobucket_13671_-2.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/gunguru364/MISC%20Rifles/Mini-14%20GB%20Model/346005616_photobucket_20612_.jpg

Good luck,

TGG

countrygun
02-21-2013, 22:29
I got rid of my AR and picked this up used (Made a profit on the deal to boot) it does everything I expected the AR to do, but I have heard that the newer models are even better in the accuracy dept. I was pondering one when the "panic" set in

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee518/CountryG/000_0011.jpg

BTW it is "Doggie (Kane) Approved" :supergrin:

stopatrain
02-21-2013, 23:52
I like my Mini and my AR, get both and enjoy both.

BenjiEDF
02-22-2013, 00:17
It's a great rifle though I'd rather have the ranch rifle with synthetic stock and stainless. The stock sights are great on the mini-14 and an 18.5" barrel would be perfect. I don't think the flash hider is necessary and actually looks a little cheesy on Mini's to me but that's subjective. Magazines and ammo will be hard to find... but it's your call. I have an AR but I'd be just as happy with a Mini honestly, my desire to play barbie doll with accessories really isn't that strong.

LuckyNemo
02-22-2013, 02:50
Been thinking of one myself

barth
02-22-2013, 03:33
It's a great rifle though I'd rather have the ranch rifle with synthetic stock and stainless. The stock sights are great on the mini-14 and an 18.5" barrel would be perfect. I don't think the flash hider is necessary and actually looks a little cheesy on Mini's to me but that's subjective. Magazines and ammo will be hard to find... but it's your call. I have an AR but I'd be just as happy with a Mini honestly, my desire to play barbie doll with accessories really isn't that strong.

+1 on the new stainless ranch rifle with synthetic stock.
The new models are beefier and more accurate.

I wanted one but waited too long and they all vaporized.
Picked up a Arsenal SLR-106U 5.56 NATO AK instead.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo60/6c/7d/32fc0d9cc515__1359760217000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

Aceman
02-22-2013, 06:35
Love it for what it is: Decently accurate knock around rifle of high reliability. No bells, no whistles. It is not an AR, and shouldn't be compared to one.

I think they are over priced for what they are in a big way. But if you want a rifle built around the M1 system, in .223, It's great.

Accuracy: Word is new ones are better. An Accustrut will fix it up if it isn't.

If the Mini 14 came with an Accustrut at 599, it would outsell the AR platform most days for a lot of years...At the usual 799 without it - meh.

General comment: Always get Ruger mags (expensive) But how many do you really need?

Too many people try to compare it to the AR - which it isn't and will never be. And a lot of times you don't WANT it to be.

The_Gun_Guru
02-22-2013, 07:15

That's what attracted me to the Mini-14, the flash hider.Well, that and the bayonet lug.:supergrin:

Too many people try to compare it to the AR - which it isn't and will never be. And a lot of times you don't WANT it to be.

Well-said! I hate when people compare two completely different guns. I wonder if they also compare the Mini-30 to the AK....:rofl:

It just doesn't make any sense.

TGG

TexasVine
02-22-2013, 07:29
I like the Ruger Mini. As stated in one of the responses, the newer ones appear to be more accurate. I would not compare it with the AR platform. It's a unique rifle that fits a niche.
Unfortunately, prices have been driven up on the used ones due to the recent paniced market.

countrygun
02-22-2013, 07:50
Oh, FYI the flash hider on mine ISN'T there for the obvious purpose, it actually helps with barrel harmonics. I didn't believe it when someone suggested it on the "Perfect union" forum but it worked.

donmor53
02-22-2013, 08:31
I've had my original 181 series Mini since 1979. At $179 for a Mini vs $699 for an AR...at that time it was a reasonable deal. Not so much any more. Besides...then the Minis had beautifull hand oiled walnut stocks. Pin point accuracy was questionable for many but...at least they looked good and were durable.

While I wouldn't sell my Mini...I would not buy another for the prices they want for them. Even before the recent craziness...

Old School
02-22-2013, 11:03
Long time owner of both. Go with the AR. It is more accurate out of the box, cheaper and more available quality magazines. If you want to make a change, AR platform is more adaptable.

If you want to take to the range for a day, the Mini 14 bbl heats up too quickly and loses accuracy fast.

ArmoryDoc
02-22-2013, 11:09
Long time owner of both. The Mini-14 is not an AR and shouldn't be compared to one. The new production guns are accurate, especially the tapered barrel guns. Mags are more expensive for the true Ruger mags, which I recommend using these only. If you like the looks, grab one. They are a neat gun.

WayneJessie
02-22-2013, 11:24
I'd take a late-model Mini over an AR for my needs anyday.

BUICKSPEC6231
02-22-2013, 11:48
This is going to vary of personal preference. It is like the old Ford vs. Chevy debate. If the AK is a Ford and an AR is a Chevy, than a Mini-14 is a Dodge. I like the Mini-14 a lot.

mixflip
02-22-2013, 11:55
I bought a mini 14 tactical model with the 16 inch barrel and flash hider last year and love it. I grew up shooting my fathers 180 series mini 14 back in the 80's so it is nice to have a modern improved version of a gun I grew up shooting.

The newer minis have thicker profile barrels and better sights than in the past. The older models had thin barrels than were reported to have a shift in POI as the barrel heated up. The thicker barrels are a direct response to that issue. They also did away with the single blade front sight and non removable rear sight. The newer ranch rifles also eject to the right instead out the top like the 180 series did.

AZ Jeff
02-22-2013, 14:00
I've had my original 181 series Mini since 1979. At $179 for a Mini vs $699 for an AR...at that time it was a reasonable deal.

I bought my first Mini in 1979, and the price you quote is about right. I bought several AR's between 1976 and 1982, and while they were more expensive than the Mini, NONE of them ever cost anywhere NEAR $699. They were closer to between $200 and $300.

JimIsland
02-22-2013, 14:10
Love it for what it is: Decently accurate knock around rifle of high reliability. No bells, no whistles. It is not an AR, and shouldn't be compared to one.

I think they are over priced for what they are in a big way. But if you want a rifle built around the M1 system, in .223, It's great.

Accuracy: Word is new ones are better. An Accustrut will fix it up if it isn't.

If the Mini 14 came with an Accustrut at 599, it would outsell the AR platform most days for a lot of years...At the usual 799 without it - meh.

General comment: Always get Ruger mags (expensive) But how many do you really need?

Spot on....I have an older model Mini 14 and I love it for what it is. No, it's not as accurate as my 6.8 SPC but for many years it's always gone bang when I pulled the trigger...always.

collim1
02-22-2013, 14:23
I really like the Mini14, but there is a few minor things about it that drive me nuts. The Tactical model you are looking at fixed the major ones with the flash hider and heavier profile barrel.

The other is the mags. Why in the world have they not modified that thing by now to accept AR15 mags. The factory Ruger mags are the only ones I know of that work consistently, and they are harder to come by and cost a pretty penny.

The last is the price. If they could get the price in $550 range it would sell like crazy, no one wants to pay AR prices for the Mini.

People always want to bring up accuracy when talking about AR's and the Mini but its not that big of a deal IMO. My 20" RRA is capable of pretty decent accuracy but with ammo as high as it is I am shooting the cheapest crap I can find and getting 4-5" groups at 100yds, which is on par with the Mini anyway.

All that being said when I wanted a .223 I looked at both and could only have one for finance reasons. I got the AR. I still keep my eyes for a Mini at the pawn shops for a good price. I would like to pick one up someday.

WT
02-22-2013, 14:29
I have had one for about 30 years. It is a great rifle.

It is a good 50 yard rifle. Compact, light and reliable. Easy to stick in the car trunk or canoe with a couple of mags. I have never had to replace any parts.

Some think it has a pretty loud muzzle blast.

I think it would make a good tanker's gun.

I have an early model so the point of impact wanders as the barrel heats up. At short distances it is no big deal. The newer models do not have such a problem.

It is less expensive than an AR.

Think of it as the Winchester Trapper Model 94 of semi auto rifles.

countrygun
02-22-2013, 15:40
Think of it as the Winchester Trapper Model 94 of semi auto rifles.

Well done! a very apt analogy :supergrin:

chewybaca67
02-24-2013, 10:59
My stainless Ranch rifle in in .223 has been a gem. Old late 90's production. I always questioned the accuracy issue. Finally put a good scope on it, got 3 rounds on paper at about an inch ( I think) at about 60 yards. Fired the remaining 28 shot and they didn't string. Hmmm. Interesting. I don't see me needing more than that for any forseeable situation. Unless the Gov or neighboring Hitler youth club wants to disarm us 'Indins again. And I have my 2 AR's for that. Oh yeah, get a little hard rubber recoil buffer if you plan on sprotin' a scope on a Mini-14. Recoil action has been known to kill a few scopes quickly.
Anyway, the more different type of guns I know how to shoot well enough, the better, or at least more comforting it is for me.

Cole125
02-24-2013, 11:23
Don't forget the magazine issue. Mini 14s only function with factory magazines which are both expensive and hard/impossible to find now.

AR15s will work fine with most any magazine and they are available and inexpensive.

Spare parts issue. The bolt and firing pin must be fit/head spaced to each Mini 14. With a AR15 you can drop in any bolt/carrier group and firing pin and it will work.

For a SHTF/survival rifle the AR wins, period.

mac66
02-24-2013, 11:31
Back in the day the Mini 14 was about the only choice of a high capacity semi auto rifle. That's back when $400 AR15s were scarce and expensive and M1 carbines were cheap but unreliable with other than 15 round mags.

It was wood and steel and reliable and comparatively inexpensive. It was the choice of survivalists, anti govt militias and police departments. It was very popular. My department had some mini 14s and we all liked them. I liked it so much that I later bought a Mini 30 to hunt with.

In the 1980s, Reagan issued an executive order that allowed the importation of semi auto foreign guns. The gates were opened and we were flooded with AKs, SKSs and military guns of all kinds. That kind of pushed the Mini to the back of the bus. Then there were some famous crimes (FBI-Miami Shootout, Murder of 14 women in Quebec, tax resistor shootout out west) that involved Mini 14s that put them in the cross hairs of being banned. Then there was Bill Ruger's stupid statement about hi-cap magazines.

Then there was the "accuracy problem" that sprung up when the internet became popular.

Through it all the Mini has remained popular. It has a traditional look and is both reliable and durable.

My mini was a ranch rifle. Last summer I replaced the rear sight with a Tech Sight, put a USGI web sling on it along with a metal butt plate (taken off an early 10/22. The sights made a big difference and it is now a pretty good emulation of my M1a.

I have a bunch of Ar15s but the Mini is still one of my favorite rifles.

chewybaca67
02-24-2013, 12:53
Miss my stainless mini-30. Mags were crap. But with the new factory 20 rounders, they seem to be a hit.

The_Gun_Guru
02-24-2013, 13:09
Don't forget the magazine issue. Mini 14s only function with factory magazines which are both expensive and hard/impossible to find now.

AR15s will work fine with most any magazine and they are available and inexpensive.

Spare parts issue. The bolt and firing pin must be fit/head spaced to each Mini 14. With a AR15 you can drop in any bolt/carrier group and firing pin and it will work.

For a SHTF/survival rifle the AR wins, period.

Ummmmm, no, AK gets that job! I would choose 1 of my 7 AK's over my single AR any day for SHTF.

TGG

greyeyezz
02-24-2013, 14:39
If you want to take to the range for a day, the Mini 14 bbl heats up too quickly and loses accuracy fast.

Not the new ones. Mine shoots 1.25" groups @ 50 yrds using irons, hot barrel and my lousy eyesight.