Para Ordnance 1911 Big Hawg [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Para Ordnance 1911 Big Hawg

ezthumper
02-22-2013, 21:31
A few years ago, I bought a Para Ord Big Hawg Hi-cap PX14 for my son's Birthday. He picked it out, and said he liked it so I bought it.

Unfortunately he lives in California now, and there is no ghost chance this pistol is getting anywhere near that state. So I got him something else instead.

Here is the deal, I know very little about the Para Ord, short of the fact I have fired it quite a bit, accurate and had little to no issue.

Is it a decent weapon, good weapon or (as I am contemplating) sell it and upgrade?

bac1023
02-22-2013, 22:08
Get rid of it. Para is below average in several ways.

faawrenchbndr
02-23-2013, 06:41
If you can get out of it, I sure as heck would.

zhix
02-23-2013, 07:24
Sell it.

DAT85
02-23-2013, 07:36
I'm afraid that I'm going to have to agree with the other posters.

I had an early 4 digit sn# P14 that cost me a lot of $ to get to run right,so I am somewhat bitter about my experiences with Para Ord.

Having said that,you have stated that you haven't had any negative experiences with the gun,so if YOU like the 1911,I would only get rid of it if it doesn't suit YOUR needs.

Just my .02

DAT85

ezthumper
02-23-2013, 07:36
Yeah, going to unload this thing, and find me something a bit better.

Every now and again I get into the McGiver mode, where I try to make anything work. I have no idea why I do that, considering I have high quality weapons in my safe, there is no reason why I should try to justify having something sub-par.

Thanks.

EDIT: DAT85, no issues is true, however the thought in the back of my head that it is not reliable concerns me. It is like driving a Pinto, yeah I have never had the gas tank explode, but it has proven to happen to others, when is my number up kind of thing.

faawrenchbndr
02-23-2013, 07:59
Expect to take a loss on selling the Para. I would expect you will
lose about 1/3rd of the purchase price. If it has been reliable,
you may think about keeping it for a range toy. Depends on your budget considerations.

ezthumper
02-23-2013, 08:04
Expect to take a loss on selling the Para. I would expect you will
lose about 1/3rd of the purchase price. If it has been reliable,
you may think about keeping it for a range toy. Depends on your budget considerations.

Yeah I am expecting a loss, that is to be expected. As far as a range toy, I thought about that, but then I realized I can take the money from the Para, albeit a loss, and put it towards a funner range toy. :devildance: