Questions for 460 Rowland shooters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions for 460 Rowland shooters

picketpin
02-23-2013, 14:12
After two range trips, and approximately 50 low-mid level Rowland loads and 150 .45 acp SWC target level loads I notice that my frame is getting a little beat up in front of the front frame rails. There are a few threads on this here mostly about G20's and G29's, and some posters are concerned and others are not. I have never seen this on any of my other Glocks, and the actual low round count with this showing up concerns me. I do have the "official .460 Rowland Kit". My loads are low to mid level as I said, and I can see no signs of wear at all with the same loads in the 460 kit in my G30. Finally to the questions, Any one else having this problem? Any fixes? What weight recoil spring comes with the G21 kit,(Rowland is not answering my email and it is not listed in the kit specs)? I appreciate any thoughts you might have on this topic.
james

reflex264
02-27-2013, 11:59
No problems with mine with over 500 rounds. I would call them and get their input. Mine is smooth as silk. reflex264

punkglock
05-16-2013, 23:35
How bad is the wear, and can you describe it a bit more? Got picture? :)

Light wear on the polymer frame is fairly common even with 45acp (one reason an armorers toolkit is supposed to include a sharp knife for shaving and trimming)...maybe that's all it is? I did some mild shaving on mine during break-in.

If I recall correctly, the official conversion kit comes with a 24lb spring (which fires 45acp, 45super and 460 just fine in my gun!).

vaquero aleman
05-17-2013, 15:41
The only frame damage I saw on mine was in the slide stop. Once I installed the Sprinco that was no longer a concern, but the factory set up my RSA specifically for 230gr @ 1350fps. But, of course, I had the G21 without the compensator or porting. Although, I did notice that the locking block pin was getting a little bowed.

picketpin
05-18-2013, 06:53
Thanks for the responses. I did clean up the area with a razor knife, and after shooting it some more the damage/slide hitting the frame, seems to have settled down. I shoot 10mm with a 22 lb spring and the Rowland kit on the same frame.
So for the time It looks good. Just busy working up a good Cast load.
james

punkglock
05-18-2013, 22:09
The only frame damage I saw on mine was in the slide stop. Once I installed the Sprinco that was no longer a concern, but the factory set up my RSA specifically for 230gr @ 1350fps. But, of course, I had the G21 without the compensator or porting. Although, I did notice that the locking block pin was getting a little bowed.

I'm thinking about a sprinco too...even though I bought the "official" kit, why not. It seems like a better piece than the lone wolf ss guide rod and 24# spring from 460rowland.

FWIW, when I contacted info@sprinco.com this is what they said:

--------8< quote >8--------

The Item Number that you need is 16379. Unfortunately, it was brought to my attention earlier this week that it's not on the website yet. If you wish to order what you need online, you can do a "dummy order" using this item:

Glock 38 4th Gen Only Recoil Management System (Includes Recoil Spring & Slide Bushing) (Indicate if for "C" models)
$89.95

Then, at Checkout, in the “Message or Comments” Field, just write “Substitute Item 16379 for GL 21 Gen 4 Cor-Bon per Alan” and I’ll build up the one that you need.

vaquero aleman
05-19-2013, 05:44
I'm thinking about a sprinco too...even though I bought the "official" kit, why not. It seems like a better piece than the lone wolf ss guide rod and 24# spring from 460rowland.

FWIW, when I contacted info@sprinco.com this is what they said:

--------8< quote >8--------

The Item Number that you need is 16379. Unfortunately, it was brought to my attention earlier this week that it's not on the website yet. If you wish to order what you need online, you can do a "dummy order" using this item:

Glock 38 4th Gen Only Recoil Management System (Includes Recoil Spring & Slide Bushing) (Indicate if for "C" models)
$89.95

Then, at Checkout, in the “Message or Comments” Field, just write “Substitute Item 16379 for GL 21 Gen 4 Cor-Bon per Alan” and I’ll build up the one that you need.

Did they mention how their unit will work with the Rowland kit, considering that the kit has the comp on it?

I first bought the gen 3 Corbon unit but had to send it back to get the sub-spring upgraded. And then I found out that I had to double-up my mag springs.

punkglock
05-19-2013, 11:00
Did they mention how their unit will work with the Rowland kit, considering that the kit has the comp on it?

I first bought the gen 3 Corbon unit but had to send it back to get the sub-spring upgraded. And then I found out that I had to double-up my mag springs.

FWIW my kit is ported vs compensated (Johnny Rowland says either works, ported just has more recoil)...I spelled out how my gun was configured in my email to them, so maybe that's why they suggested what they did.

Hard to say though...I think I'll write back before ordering and specifically ask if the "build up" mentioned in the first email implies upgrading the sub-spring.

Thanks for the heads up!

vaquero aleman
05-19-2013, 12:50
FWIW my kit is ported vs compensated (Johnny Rowland says either works, ported just has more recoil)...I spelled out how my gun was configured in my email to them, so maybe that's why they suggested what they did.

Hard to say though...I think I'll write back before ordering and specifically ask if the "build up" mentioned in the first email implies upgrading the sub-spring.

Thanks for the heads up!

No prob, the reason I brought it up is because with the comp the sprinco might not let the slide travel to rear far enough to pick up the next round correctly. I can't say about the ported barrel. Also, my sprinco came with a 17# recoil spring and I had to switch that out for a 22#.

punkglock
05-19-2013, 14:33
No prob, the reason I brought it up is because with the comp the sprinco might not let the slide travel to rear far enough to pick up the next round correctly. I can't say about the ported barrel. Also, my sprinco came with a 17# recoil spring and I had to switch that out for a 22#.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the stock 460rowland kit comes with a lone wolf ss guide rod + 24# spring (the stiffest lw makes, last I checked) -- this makes me wonder if I'll be better off with a sprinco + 22# spring or just stick with what I've got.

From reading and looking at the picture on sprinco.com though, it seems there's more than just a spring to the sprinco unit...so I think it's still a good investment if properly built for this gun?

Unfortunately I can't easily confirm with 100% certainty that my current spring is 24#, since 460rowland.com is completely unresponsive to email and I hate phones (I should probably try calling their contact #). I guess I'll have to shoot both and see.

I emailed sprinco again and asked about the sub-spring, I'll post their reply here for reference...

vaquero aleman
05-19-2013, 15:05
I thought I'd read somewhere that the stock 460rowland kit comes with a lone wolf ss guide rod + 24# spring (the stiffest lw makes, last I checked) -- this makes me wonder if I'll be better off with a sprinco + 22# spring or just stick with what I've got.

From reading and looking at the picture on sprinco.com though, it seems there's more than just a spring to the sprinco unit...so I think it's still a good investment if properly built for this gun?

Unfortunately I can't easily confirm with 100% certainty that my current spring is 24#, since 460rowland.com is completely unresponsive to email and I hate phones (I should probably try calling their contact #). I guess I'll have to shoot both and see.

I emailed sprinco again and asked about the sub-spring, I'll post their reply here for reference...

I can tell you that when I decided to use a straight barrel with the Sprinco, I ordered the "Corbon" unit. I shot a few rounds with it and noticed that the slide stop of my frame was getting beat up so I called Sprinco and they told me to drop it in the mail to them and that they would change out the sub spring to handle 230gr @ 1350fps. When I got it back and shot some more, 230gr @ 1300fps, it appeared to have stopped the slide to frame contact. It did not reduce the felt recoil, and I still had a few ftf's. That is when I fixed my Wolff springs to work on the Sprinco and started using the 22# recoil spring, along with the double mag springs and it finally fixed my ftf problem. Which, with my research, has led me to believe that with a good compensator too much spring will also cause ftf's.

If I had taken the time to shoot some 45acp and +p with the "Corbon" unit I would have more to add, but I was most concerned with making the .460 Rowland work so I don't have much to say about how the G21/20 Corbon unit works.

I did, however, buy a stock G20 6" barrel to use in my G21 and I shot some GA arms 180gr 10mm with that barrel, using the Sprinco and 17# recoil spring, and I noticed a bounce in the recoil instead of a smack. Which I thought was a little strange except that another member here had mentioned something about "bounce" with a Sprinco unit.

punkglock
05-19-2013, 21:24
I can tell you that when I decided to use a straight barrel with the Sprinco, I ordered the "Corbon" unit. I shot a few rounds with it and noticed that the slide stop of my frame was getting beat up so I called Sprinco and they told me to drop it in the mail to them and that they would change out the sub spring to handle 230gr @ 1350fps. When I got it back and shot some more, 230gr @ 1300fps, it appeared to have stopped the slide to frame contact. It did not reduce the felt recoil, and I still had a few ftf's. That is when I fixed my Wolff springs to work on the Sprinco and started using the 22# recoil spring, along with the double mag springs and it finally fixed my ftf problem. Which, with my research, has led me to believe that with a good compensator too much spring will also cause ftf's.

If I had taken the time to shoot some 45acp and +p with the "Corbon" unit I would have more to add, but I was most concerned with making the .460 Rowland work so I don't have much to say about how the G21/20 Corbon unit works.

I did, however, buy a stock G20 6" barrel to use in my G21 and I shot some GA arms 180gr 10mm with that barrel, using the Sprinco and 17# recoil spring, and I noticed a bounce in the recoil instead of a smack. Which I thought was a little strange except that another member here had mentioned something about "bounce" with a Sprinco unit.

I really want to try the sprinco now. Is this you by chance?

http://460rowland.com/forum/discussion/16/glock-21-conversion/p1

Or just someone that sounds similar?

vaquero aleman
05-20-2013, 06:41
Yep. I thought that they shut down the forum, I didn't see it on their WS the last time I logged on there.

I still have that EFK comp, made out of aluminum. The first thing I shot with it was 185gr @ 1300fps and it did seem to help, but nothing like the .460 Rowland claim. That was posted in the 45Super? Thread by flyandscuba. It shows where I got smileys shooting 45 Super from a stock barrel.