C&R 1911s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : C&R 1911s

DrtyHarry
02-24-2013, 16:58
I have an old 1949 1911 .38 Super up for sale and a potential buyer wants to know if it falls under "C&R". Yes, the pistol is over 50 years old. I put it up on GB and not sure how to answer this question. I was simply going to take it to my local gun shop and have him transfer it to the buyer's FFL. Is there another option? Thank you!

DH

DrtyHarry
02-24-2013, 17:04
Think the buyer is just trying to pay less by avoiding transfer fees? Do I have to use an FFL since it's 50 years+ old? Thanks!

DH

cciman
02-24-2013, 17:12
If your buyer has a C&R license and he can provide you a copy of it, you can ship it directly to his address and save him transfer cost.

DrtyHarry
02-24-2013, 17:16
If your buyer has a C&R license and he can provide you a copy of it, you can ship it directly to his address and save him transfer cost.

Oh ok....but he has to have a C&R license. Gotcha. Thanks!

DH

Jason D
02-25-2013, 16:18
To deal that way, yes he does need to have a C&R license. Yes he will have to send you an ink signed copy. The C&R FFL is an FFL from the Government to collect older non modern arms that are at least 50 years old or on the C&R list. With his license he just can't conduct a retail for profit business with it.

If you can date the Colt as being made in 1949. It would fall under the C&R and could be sold to him on his license. It will have to go through UPS or FedEx though as a C&R FFL cannot send or receive pistols through the US Mail like a regular FFL can.

cciman
02-25-2013, 19:10
I prefer Fedex Residential or Ground, insured. You do not have to declare the contents.

You do have to establish that the gun falls under C&R.

blender
02-25-2013, 20:17
You can check here: http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/

Quoting the ATF: "Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF’s C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age."