Screwdriver(s) Recommendation for Grip Screws? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Screwdriver(s) Recommendation for Grip Screws?

oily_oink
02-27-2013, 08:33
Seeking Recommendations on a Screwdriver to be used Primarily for 1911 Grip Screws.

MD357
02-27-2013, 08:36
Probably one with a flat head, a Phillips head might get tricky.

oily_oink
02-27-2013, 08:48
Probably one with a flat head, a Phillips head might get tricky.

WOW! Thank You Sooooo Much!

I'm glad my question was answered before I messed up the screws with a Phillips!

MD357
02-27-2013, 08:53
WOW! Thank You Sooooo Much!

I'm glad my question was answered before I messed up the screws with a Phillips!

If you don't know how to use a screwdriver carefully or understand which to use/how to use it, then grab some allen head grip screws.

FLIPPER 348
02-27-2013, 09:00
MD, do you always have to be such a dick??

OP- A quality #1 flat tip will do you fine.

MD357
02-27-2013, 09:08
MD, do you always have to be such a dick??

OP- A quality #1 flat tip will do you fine.

It's a SCREWDRIVER?!! and a SLOT??!! Geez. No reason to get huffy or feelings hurt.

Sorry, some questions I have a tough time taking seriously but apparently this is serious business!! I DID suggest allen head screws IF marring is a problem.

Pot. Meet kettle. Very black.

oily_oink
02-27-2013, 13:12
It's a SCREWDRIVER?!! and a SLOT??!! Geez. No reason to get huffy or feelings hurt.

Sorry, some questions I have a tough time taking seriously but apparently this is serious business!! I DID suggest allen head screws IF marring is a problem.

Serious Business? Why sure it is! Chewed up screw slots are no good for the gun's feel & looks. I know it can't get more basic then using a flathead screwdriver on a slotted screw, but I thought with all the experience here in GT's 1911 Forums, people would recommend a specialty one to use. Better metal? Magnetic? Specific slot sized head? ETC.....

garander
02-27-2013, 13:20
I would think a small gunsmith screwdriver set. Common screwdrivers like craftsman are ground wrong. I use a small flat three head colt tool and just lightly tighten them.

pennlineman
02-27-2013, 13:51
Hollow ground screwdrivers are used by gunsmiths. They fit the slot better with less chance of slipping and buggering up the screw. A good set of gunsmith screwdrivers are not too expensive. One of my better gun related investments.

janice6
02-27-2013, 13:55
Hollow ground screwdrivers are used by gunsmiths. They fit the slot better with less chance of slipping and buggering up the screw. A good set of gunsmith screwdrivers are not too expensive. One of my better gun related investments.

Here you have the right answer.

Short Cut
02-27-2013, 14:10
Amazon.com: B-Square Professional Gunsmith Screwdriver Set: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21raRtbT97L.@@AMEPARAM@@21raRtbT97L

Handy to have around for all sorts of non-typical screws.

MD357
02-27-2013, 14:24
Serious Business? Why sure it is! Chewed up screw slots are no good for the gun's feel & looks. I know it can't get more basic then using a flathead screwdriver on a slotted screw, but I thought with all the experience here in GT's 1911 Forums, people would recommend a specialty one to use. Better metal? Magnetic? Specific slot sized head? ETC.....

Never got that complicated for me but YMMV.

As I said previously.... twice.... if marring is an issue you might aswell get a allen grip screw set (which look better anyways IMO.) Carry the appropriate allen key in your bag, considering at the range is when grips coming loose will be an honest problem. No different than carrying around a special screwdriver.

Where's FAAwrench and his nail polish???

Jason D
02-27-2013, 17:22

Pot. Meet kettle. Very black.

No it's not just a screwdriver and a slot.
It's a precision made screw and a precision made tool working together so no damage occurs to the part or gun the part is attached to.

The day of using any old screwdriver to remove a gun part is long over. A dumbass using the wrong tool to work on his guns shows when he goes to sell them. Some poor buyer will find they have a classic revolver or rifle, tha't has been needlessly mangled because someone didn't take a bit of extra precaution.

I use only hollow ground screwdrivers on my guns, and only in the correct sizes. I prefer Forster screwdrivers to Grace though I have sets of both. I prefer Chapman for a mobile tool when away from home.

cciman
02-27-2013, 17:53
That's the classic, dumbass, ritual, kung fu BS.

Like snipping the end off a cigar, opening a can of beans, or uncorking and pouring your wine... you do not need a special tool, as long as you are careful. If you want to spend $10+ on s screwdriver to install a .25 part, you should be in the military or in medical supplies.

Put your fat fingers down at the union of the slot and the driver tip, and not watch TV while doing it, and any Made-in- China flathead that fits will work.

No it's not just a screwdriver and a slot.
It's a precision made screw and a precision made tool working together so no damage occurs to the part or gun the part is attached to.

The day of using any old screwdriver to remove a gun part is long over. A dumbass using the wrong tool to work on his guns shows when he goes to sell them. Some poor buyer will find they have a classic revolver or rifle, tha't has been needlessly mangled because someone didn't take a bit of extra precaution.

I use only hollow ground screwdrivers on my guns, and only in the correct sizes. I prefer Forster screwdrivers to Grace though I have sets of both. I prefer Chapman for a mobile tool when away from home.

FLIPPER 348
02-27-2013, 20:56
and any Made-in- China flathead that fits will work.

I prefer a Snap-On #1
.........but I'm a certified tool-snob and professional aircraft mechanic. I've got one of these in my 1911 project kit for grip screws:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=645227&group_ID=682249&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

fnfalman
02-27-2013, 22:11
You guys are taking this stuff way too seriously. You're not fitting and tuning an extractor or a beavertail safety.

It's a freakin' screw. It doesn't need to be tennifer treated, high temperature alloy steel. and the screwdriver doesn't have to be made out of magnetic tipped, nuclear powered, hollow flat ground, unobtanium either.

I use one of the screwdrivers on my Swiss Army Knife to take them off and put them back on again. If I were to be realllllly careful with the twisting motion, nothing gets marred.

countrygun
02-27-2013, 23:02
John Moses Browning (peace be upon him) thought the toe of a magazine was the right tool if the screw and the mags were to his specs, but what did he know?

FLIPPER 348
02-27-2013, 23:30
Part of JMB's built in tool kit. I've got some of those old screws. The mag toe also fits nicely to depress the plug so as to turn the barrel busing .....almost like it was planned that way!

MD357
02-27-2013, 23:52
1911 grip screws need "precision tools?" One wonders what JMB did without a snap-on truck full of specialized tools? :supergrin:

Again.....I've never marred up any grip screws with simple tools over the years but maybe I'm just a bit more careful? YMMV.

FLIPPER 348
02-27-2013, 23:57
One wonders what JMB did without a snap-on truck full of specialized tools?

He used the magazine for the grip screws.

MD357
02-28-2013, 00:07
He used the magazine for the grip screws.

T'was a rhetorical statement Flip. :cool:

Spiffums
02-28-2013, 12:43
I thought the only grip issues for a slotted screwdriver now was to install bushings! All the med to high level guns I have seen lately where Allen head or some "custom" torx heads.

Bren
02-28-2013, 13:26
For all firearm screw, hollow ground flat tips are either absolutely necessaru or recommended. The good news is, these days a hollow ground flat tip is cheap and easy to find - I like those reversible 4-bit ones you get at the checkout line at Lowe's. However, I also have a set of gunsmith screwdrivers for the things those won't fit. Among higher end guns, it is common for the crew heads to be hand made in sizes an ordinary srewdriver won't fit.

Among grip screws, these usually work fine,
http://www.promotionalpromo.com/Upfiles/Prod_o/Screwdriver___4_Bit_7056.jpg
but for some head you still need a thinner or narrower screwdriver

Bren
02-28-2013, 13:30
1911 grip screws need "precision tools?" One wonders what JMB did without a snap-on truck full of specialized tools? :supergrin:

Again.....I've never marred up any grip screws with simple tools over the years but maybe I'm just a bit more careful? YMMV.

Actually, in his day, gunsmithing tools were vary specialized and usually hand made by the smith. In those days, you couldn't just buy a screwdriver to fit a lot of gun screws, because the screws were also custom made by a smith. In high end guns, they still are.

MD357
02-28-2013, 13:48
Right, so per this thread.....

-one needs specialized screwdrivers like the ones you see at the checkout lines at Lowes.

-JMB had and intended for the use of specialized tools when it came to switching grips. Weird how the relatively KISS he employed in certain designs just went out the window with grip screws.

- apparently custom makers use some sort of custom fabricated grip screws I've never seen in owning various customs from mild. Never knew Wilson apparently hand makes grip screws and they are significantly different than all the others out there. All these years I've owned them, apparently I've been using the wrong tools.

oily_oink
02-28-2013, 16:01
For those who get it & recommended a product.....Thank You!

Rinspeed
02-28-2013, 17:20
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/fixed-blade-sets/grace-screwdriver-set-prod6739.aspx

FLIPPER 348
02-28-2013, 20:11

.......apparently I've been using the wrong tools.

pretty much

MD357
02-28-2013, 23:04
pretty much

Gotta keep from messing up those high quality frames like Essex eh? :supergrin:

FLIPPER 348
02-28-2013, 23:18
the last Essex project came out real purdy

Nakanokalronin
02-28-2013, 23:41
Here's an awesome little punch screwdriver you can keep in your wallet. I bought a few of them and keep on on my always. I've found more uses for it than just a 1911 too. :cool:

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911screwdriverandtakedowntool.aspx

RetailNinja
03-01-2013, 02:26
Since they haven't been mentioned... I'd like to throw a shout out to the SLEX screws!

Bren
03-01-2013, 05:18

-one needs specialized screwdrivers like the ones you see at the checkout lines at Lowes.

-JMB had and intended for the use of specialized tools when it came to switching grips. Weird how the relatively KISS he employed in certain designs just went out the window with grip screws.

- apparently custom makers use some sort of custom fabricated grip screws I've never seen in owning various customs from mild. Never knew Wilson apparently hand makes grip screws and they are significantly different than all the others out there. All these years I've owned them, apparently I've been using the wrong tools.

You don't seem to know as much about guns and gunsmithing as you think. I find it hard to believe any collector of high end guns doesn't know this stuff. Since the industrial revolution, we have moved toward more commonality of tools and parts in things, but 100+ years ago it was not that way and you'll find that even modern gunsmiths can get unlotted screws for their own hand-slotted and engraved heads.

Here's a selection of gun screw slotting flies for about $40 each, at Brownell's:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/files/screw-slot-files-prod5743.aspx

And some more:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/files/screw-head-files-prod5742.aspx

Here's a whole article on gunsmith screwdrivers:
http://finegunmaking.com/page36/page16/page16.html
yes, those are custom screws that don't fit your ordinary screwdriver. Gunsmiths used to generally grind their own, but now you cna buy them. Even the screws in my Bowning Hi Power require exactly the right hollow ground driver and it's not that old.

Gun screws are rarely found at the hardware store. Normally they are unique to each model and many times fitted to the individual gun. Quality firearms will have the screws timed so that the slots will be aligned with the center line of the gun. This might not sound like a big deal until you see a "best quality" gun with all the slots running the same direction and then look at a lesser gun with screws turned every sort of way. Always remember that it will be the small things that make the best gun special. They all have barrels, stocks, triggers and sights but they all don't have those special little custom touches like tiny little narrow screw slots and engraving that extends across the head of the screw. Imagine trying to replace a screw that you damaged that has a .030 inch slot and the head is angled to fit the frame of the gun. Now consider some delicate scroll engraving that will match when the screw is final position. Of course it will be color case hardened or nitre fire blue. No I'm not talking about screws in a cheap fixer upper but even trying to fit screws to these will take more time than the gun is worth. Bottom line is the Gunsmith has to take care of screws and make sure that when the screws are replaced in the gun there will be no damage or evidence that they were removed.

The way to remove these screws without damage is to make sure the screwdriver fits the slot. This won't happen with a screwdriver from the bucket at the checkout counter but only with a special screwdriver that has the tip ground to perfectly match the slot.
http://www.gunsmiths.com/articledetail.php?id=96

faawrenchbndr
03-01-2013, 08:30
Wow,.......two pages about screwdrivers!

Awesome!

MD357
03-01-2013, 09:24
I don't collect higher end 1911s or any firearm for that matter. I shoot them as IMO they are tools. YMMV.

You don't seem to know as much about guns and gunsmithing as you think.

Interesting, let's transition to the real world and not superficial theory out of a book, shall we? 1911s were designed to be a service pistol plain and simple, and while specialized tools might have been incorporated in the design here or there, it was intended to be a serviceable pistol yes? Now most people understand the KISS nature of the military hopefully. It was simple back then..... grips screws can be simple now, they are to me anyways, and others in this thread apparently don't see the fuss. Honestly, don't tell me it's complicated and specialized by todays standards and then tell someone you can pick the screwdriver you need in the checkout line at Lowes. You're contradicting yourself.

If we were talking about expensive scope mounts I'd understand, but we are talking about 1911 grip screws.

because the screws were also custom made by a smith. In high end guns, they still are. Among higher end guns, it is common for the crew heads to be hand made in sizes an ordinary srewdriver won't fit.

This is where you show a bit of inexperience in custom 1911s. Now you may consider the grip screws "custom" or handmade but that's just not true. It's just not cost effective and that's no secret. Unless you can provide for instance that any of let's say... the smiths you see on LTW fabricating their own screws. Otherwise take Wilson for example, they'll sell you plain jane slotted, allen or torx. Betcha they are all mass produced. Any reference otherwise is welcome but it's obvious to me, that's not cost effective or necessary. Since the industrial revolution, things have been streamlined a bit. :supergrin:

and again..... "ordinary screwdriver won't fit" however several have mentioned, including yourself..... the ease of finding said "special" screwdrivers. How many cheap Chinese kits have flat blades that will fit? Interestingly enough, I just used one the other day to VZs on my Hi-power. I've been meaning to get a better set for sure, but I've never been impressed with most "gunsmithing" kits for the price. I guess I call them simple, you call them special?

MD357
03-01-2013, 09:25
Wow,.......two pages about screwdrivers!

Awesome!

Shall I make a Dan Wesson sucks comment? Cities will burn, heads will explode.

faawrenchbndr
03-01-2013, 10:04
Shall I make a Dan Wesson sucks comment? Cities will burn, heads will explode.

:rofl:

Ya kill me.........! Naw, we need a hex screw vs slotted screw thread.
Then a cardboard box vs plastic case thread.
Then a fork vs spork thread.
Then a paper vs plastic thread.

:rofl:

FLIPPER 348
03-01-2013, 13:09
We started with a simple question thread with some helpful answers but someone showed up and bashed the OP and suggested an option that had noting to do with the question .....

okie
03-01-2013, 13:30
Here's an awesome little punch screwdriver you can keep in your wallet. I bought a few of them and keep on on my always. I've found more uses for it than just a 1911 too. :cool:

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911screwdriverandtakedowntool.aspx

I have one of them:supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
03-01-2013, 13:48
We started with a simple question thread with some helpful answers but someone showed up and bashed the OP and suggested an option that had noting to do with the question .....

Crap,......now I gotta go back and review the earlier posts. :faint:

MD357
03-01-2013, 15:23

The option had everything to do with the question. In fact, that particular option is used quite frequently on upper end 1911s. Again, it cuts down on marring if someone has problems.... and again..... per this thread.... I'm not the only one that seems to believe it's a simple job.

Short Cut
03-01-2013, 15:49
Having read this whole thread and being that it's Friday. This is my recommendation for y'all.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/4059149174_23a33682c2.jpg

Rinspeed
03-01-2013, 15:53
Having read this whole thread and being that it's Friday. This is my recommendation for y'all.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/4059149174_23a33682c2.jpg

Best post yet. :thumbsup:

okie
03-01-2013, 16:28
I talked to the fine folk at Springfield Armory, and they said a good quality screwdriver is fine:supergrin: