G34 or 35? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G34 or 35?

coastal4974
02-27-2013, 07:52
I use a G19 now but I would like to get a G34 or 35 to do some competition type shooting at my club. Steel or USPSA at some point but right now there is nothing close by. Until then I can have fun and practice with others at my club. I would love to do some GSSF competitions but there are none near me this year, maybe next year.

I was first thinking I would go with a 34 but before I place an order and wait months for delivery, I was wondering if it would be a better idea to get a 35 and have the ability to set it up for 9mm as well.

Whatís the drawbacks?

ron59
02-27-2013, 12:00
It really depends on what you're shooting.
There's no advantage to shooting a .40 anywhere like GSSF or IDPA or USPSA Production with it as you'd be competing against guys with 9mm and softer recoil.

If you want to shoot USPSA Limited or L-10, then the .40 makes more sense as you'd be shooting Major.

I have the 34 and absolutely love it, it's my favorite of 4 Glocks. But I can see getting a 35 someday and maybe shooting L-10 with it. I don't want to shoot Limited as I like *having* to change mags more, I think that is a skill that needs to be tested more and not just a pure hose fest.

PEC-Memphis
02-27-2013, 21:33
If you reload, you can make the 35 shoot plenty "soft" with 180/200 gr FMJs @ ~130 PF for IDPA; some will say softer than any 9mm load meeting PF. The 35 would allow you to shoot major in USPSA without pushing the limits of the .40 S&W.

The down side is that if you don't reload, you will be shooting more expensive ammunition that doesn't shoot nearly as soft as 9mm (for IDPA). Even if you do reload, loading 180/200 gr FMJs will be more expensive than 124/147 gr 9mm.

The break even of getting a 9mm conversion barrel vs. just shooting .40 is about 6k-8k rounds depending upon your barrel choice (if you reload).

coastal4974
02-28-2013, 08:44
The only reason I was considering a 35 at all was for a little heavier hit for steel. I havenít had much of an issue with my G19 and realize that shot placement is key but Iíve seen the difference of a 45 and 9mm hitting steel. I know the 34 will also hit a bit harder than my 19 as well. So with a 9mm you gain the advantage of less recoil but shot placement becomes more important. I donít reload but I havenít ruled it out for the future.

After reading your replies, Iím feeling better about my original decision of a G34.

mingaa
02-28-2013, 08:57
I've never had trouble with steel shooting my 34 with 147 hand loads loaded very close to the min. 125 PF. I've shot my 22 when I wanted to try major but am eying a 35 for the same reason.

PVolk
02-28-2013, 10:24
There's no advantage to shooting a .40 anywhere like GSSF or IDPA or USPSA Production with it as you'd be competing against guys with 9mm and softer recoil.

If you want to shoot USPSA Limited or L-10, then the .40 makes more sense as you'd be shooting Major.
I agree.

I'd stick with 9mm unless you're competing in something that puts you in the minor class. And even that boils down to personal preference, but I personally prefer shooting major and that's the only reason I've competed with .40.

ca survivor
02-28-2013, 12:08
most of my carry guns are .40, I have a 35 for competition don't mind the extra recoil I look at it like training.

Spiffums
02-28-2013, 17:33
I run a G35 with soft and weak reloads. I carry a G34 for a SD/HD gun so my gear works for both.

If you reload get the which ever you like best if you don't get the 34 so your just stocking 1 caliber and your big mags will fit in the G19.

davsco
02-28-2013, 19:21
g34. ultra-competitive in gssf, steel challenge, production divisions of uspsa and idpa and you'll be shooting the lightest legal caliber.

with g35 you might be competitive in uspsa limited or limited 10, but you'll be competing against very smooth 1911 and 2011's with very nice triggers.

SARDG
03-03-2013, 00:18
The only reason I was considering a 35 at all was for a little heavier hit for steel. I haven’t had much of an issue with my G19 and realize that shot placement is key but I’ve seen the difference of a 45 and 9mm hitting steel...
Are you shooting Steel Challenge... or rusty steel plate racks? I shoot 125 PF powder puffs in Steel Challenge in a semi-auto. Our revolver shooters practically lob the bullet to the steel. There is a required PF in Steel Challenge of 105 now I think - but that's to register the auto stop-plate - if one exists.

ETA: If all this sounds like reloading is the way to go to develop a round, well... like PEC said...

waktasz
03-03-2013, 21:00
35. More versatile for all the divisions in all the games. This is of course assuming you reload. I ditched my 9mms now and only shoot 40, I love only having to manage one set of components and never having to convert my press, case feeder, etc.

coastal4974
03-05-2013, 07:32
Are you shooting Steel Challenge... or rusty steel plate racks? I shoot 125 PF powder puffs in Steel Challenge in a semi-auto. Our revolver shooters practically lob the bullet to the steel. There is a required PF in Steel Challenge of 105 now I think - but that's to register the auto stop-plate - if one exists.

ETA: If all this sounds like reloading is the way to go to develop a round, well... like PEC said...

They are steel challenge targets although I can't be sure they are in top competition condition. They certinly are not old and rusty but that might be something to look into.

I didn't have much of a problem putting them down, I just saw how much more forgiving shot placement was with larger calibers.

AZson
03-05-2013, 17:55
Sometimes when competing it is harder to knock over steel with 9mm and the G35 can be modded to a 9mm later if you so desire, but not vise versa.

W4CNG
03-05-2013, 18:07
G-35. I have mag extensions that hold 19 rounds each. Shoot 200GR FMJ at a PF of just over 170 which is very soft recoil. I reload 9MM on one press and 40 on the other, both Dillon SDB's. I can also reload 45ACP and 38/357Mag. Using two powders keeps things ultra simple and my loads sit on an Excel Spread sheet. My brother has a G-34 and he loves his. My 40 is as soft as his 9MM loads (felt recoil). I also have a Para 16-40 with a Schumann Match barrel inletted .1 inch so it will take 10MM length 40Cal loads which are even softer than the G-35 with the same velocity. I do have to load specifically for each 40 Cal gun, but both work well. I do have a reduced load for 40 to shoot IDPA.