Gun shopping. Do you shop around, or one stop shop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun shopping. Do you shop around, or one stop shop?

NoAllies
02-27-2013, 19:32
When shopping for firearms do you guys shop around, get multiple quotes from different shops, and ultimately choose the dealer who is willing to give you the best deal? Or, do you get one quote and presume that the dealer is taking care of you and proceed with submitting an order?

Now, naturally, there is one other factor that plays in here. That factor being, is the dealer a straight up genuine guy who is going to work with getting you service when, or if, you ever have problems? Is this worth paying a bit more for? In my experience, that answer is always a resounding yes. Sometimes paying more isnt necessary. Some dealers trying to get you good deals are really out to help guys get what they want without breaking the bank. In my experience, some of those same guys cutting deals are almost willing to bend over backwards to help you out of a problem.

This brings me to today. I'm in pursuit of a higher end 1911, and because I am a discerning buyer, I've requested multiple quotes from multiple vendors. I've personally dealt with one vendor in the past because he always had better prices than others, but due to advice I've received here, I decided to try another few out. A couple blew the MSRP out of the water...the wrong way. WAY higher than MSRP. A couple gave me well priced, below MSRP deals, for which I was appreciative. And then the last dealer I requested a quote from told me to go work with other dealers when I accidentally revealed to him that I was shopping around. This is frustrating as people seem to get really good deals through him, and rave about his customer service. Much like others rave about CS and deals with the vendor I've consistently used in the past. Anyway, I was really looking forward to the opportunity of working with him due to so many other glowing experiences with him.

So, I'd like to know, am I out of line for shopping around? Is it really that offensive to think that a potential customer is trying to shop around? It's in my nature to always try to get the best deal. I think it's every-bodies nature, and I don't know why this guy decided that he'd rather turn me away than face the fact that there are value minded people who shop around out of frugality.

What's your take on it?

Lvs1935
02-27-2013, 19:46
I think people are crazy if they don't shop around. I can understand spending a little extra at a favorite shop to support them. It's still wise to see what others are charging. When you're talking about saving $50 to $75 dollars I would rather get the savings and put it on ammo or something. You're particulary wise to shop around considering where the market is now.

mleroux21
02-27-2013, 20:04
I have not been buying any pistols from my LGS. No selection here. So the Addicts classified has been more than helpful to solve this problem.

Marc

Spiffums
02-27-2013, 20:29
If my preferred shop has the same gun for $5 to $10 more then I'll give my money to them because I get that back with little things. For $50 to $100 more I get it else where.

DAT85
02-28-2013, 05:53
I think people are crazy if they don't shop around. I can understand spending a little extra at a favorite shop to support them. It's still wise to see what others are charging. When you're talking about saving $50 to $75 dollars I would rather get the savings and put it on ammo or something. You're particulary wise to shop around considering where the market is now.

Great advice !
Having recently quit working in a small LGS,you would be surprised how many people don't shop around,don't check prices on the internet,or are just going to one shop because they think the owner "likes" them.:whistling:

Some of the regular customers I dealt with were older guys who have NOTHING to do with the internet (it's a fad don't ya know ? :supergrin: ).

They were paying at least a 100 more per gun because they didn't shop around and were getting screwed constantly.

But,because they thought they knew the owner was giving them a "deal",they remained loyal to the store.
Care to hazard a guess why I quit working there ?

Caveat Emptor,"let the buyer beware".

Be informed and shop around,loyalty gets you only so far these days.

DAT85

MD357
02-28-2013, 08:18
Shopping around, especially in this environment, is a must.

glock2740
02-28-2013, 08:40
I buy most of my 1911's, especially high end models, from Dave at DRC Firearms. I do shop around, but Dave always has the best pricing. I have bought other guns from him as well that were non-1911, RRA AR-15 and XDs come to mind right off the top of my head. I have bought a few from GB and off of Addicts classifieds and from Bud's too. Between those sources, I've never felt ripped off, cheated or felt that I didn't get a deal, much less never having felt like I over paid. I know alot of dealers and very few, if any, with the exception of the rare find, have ever been able to give better deals, or better service than the above mentioned sources. :cool:

faawrenchbndr
02-28-2013, 10:13
Research, research, RESEARCH!

Then shop around, never a good deal at a Gun Show.

mingaa
02-28-2013, 10:21
I shop hard but I also give my best supplier a heads up for what I'm looking for. If its close (tax vs ffl etc) the sale goes to the shop. If the savings is enough I ffl it through him and he's totally cool with the setup. I've bought plenty from him over the years. He's quick to remark about me finding a good deal. We just put our cards on the table and do business and stay friends!

QNman
02-28-2013, 10:25
I shop around, but usually buy from LGS. If I find a significant price discrepancy, I'll tell my LGS. If he can come close, he does. If not, I buy from his competition (though that's only happened once).

If he can't get it in a reasonable time, I'll go where it is in stock. That happens more often than price problems.

zhix
02-28-2013, 10:39
Even when I used one shop I always researched the price first, never assumed I was getting a deal. Then I realized that shops generally suck in one way or another whether it be high prices, lying to sell something, or knowing nothing about what they sell. I have had terrible luck with many guns so in my experience it can actually be worth paying a little more for a shop that will deal with the manufacturer if there are problems, though most guns I have bought were special order not regular stock.

PVolk
02-28-2013, 11:01
I always shop around. And when at my LGS, I'm always aware of the general "online price" before I buy anything. From my experience, the local shops can rarely beat the GunBroker price even after paying for freight and transfer. I saved $100 on my last Glock purchase by buying online. These days, most online gun shops don't ever seem to have inventory on what I'm looking for, so almost all of my purchases anymore are through two different local dealers and GunBroker.

My personal rule of thumb is to buy locally anything at $400 or less, and buy online anything more expensive than $400. It's been a pretty accurate rule for me so far for getting the best out-the-door deal.

Roering
02-28-2013, 11:26
I shop around but also give my LGS a chance to come close. If we are talking about a $1,000 gun for example, and my LGS can go as low as $1,100.....I'd probably go with the LGS to support them.

ca survivor
02-28-2013, 13:34
I have only two shops I go to, one the prices could be better, but in either shop if I see something I like I'll get it.

QNman
02-28-2013, 20:13
I shop around but also give my LGS a chance to come close. If we are talking about a $1,000 gun for example, and my LGS can go as low as $1,100.....I'd probably go with the LGS to support them.

This!

If we don't support our LGS's, we shouldn't be surprised when we order something from Bud's, then have no one to receive it.

James1000
02-28-2013, 20:35
Research, research, RESEARCH!

Then shop around, never a good deal at a Gun Show.

I've found some good deals at gun shows...though, you do need to be specific with your search and know exactly what you're looking for.

NoAllies
02-28-2013, 21:19
Ok, well I'm glad to hear that shopping around is the norm and that I am not out of line to shop around for quotes when talking about near $3000 and trying to save between $50-500 depending on the dealer.

I am bummed because I find it hard to believe that a vendor with such a loyal group of customers who all rave about him, his courteousness, and customer service is so quick to tell a customer to go elsewhere and shop just because he is offended to hear that I'm shopping around. Pretty immature and childish I believe. I'd hate to see what happens when one of his current customers push his buttons wrong and he all of a sudden refuses to help them. That's the sort of character I saw.

faawrenchbndr
03-01-2013, 07:03
Care to share who the vendor was?

I do not think you can beat a Guncrafter for a sub $3k 1911
While we have had this discussion a bit before, but I would
take a Guncrafter over a Baer, brown or Wilson.

MStarmer
03-01-2013, 17:28
I think it depends. If I'm looking for something like what you stated then a lot of our local shops don't carry high end 1911's. So I would call Crazy John or another reputable 1911 dealer. Otherwise I have a dealer that gives LE discount for Glock and Smith and Wesson so it's usually the clear choice for me. In today's market if you see something you want and the price is reasonable (to you) I would snatch it up. You don't have to justify anything to the internet :). Things are still moving along quickly so you may not have a lot of time to think about it so do your research first.

okie
03-01-2013, 17:37
Great advice !
Having recently quit working in a small LGS,you would be surprised how many people don't shop around,don't check prices on the internet,or are just going to one shop because they think the owner "likes" them.:whistling:

Some of the regular customers I dealt with were older guys who have NOTHING to do with the internet (it's a fad don't ya know ? :supergrin: ).

They were paying at least a 100 more per gun because they didn't shop around and were getting screwed constantly.

But,because they thought they knew the owner was giving them a "deal",they remained loyal to the store.
Care to hazard a guess why I quit working there ?

Caveat Emptor,"let the buyer beware".

Be informed and shop around,loyalty gets you only so far these days.

DAT85
Listen to this man, he knows of what he speaks:supergrin:

jakebrake
03-01-2013, 17:44
as a general rule, my lgs has about the fairest pricing i've seen to date.

they also don't generally suck.

i' give them my money. if they don't have what i'm looking for, then it's a different story, otherwise, i'm pretty loyal.

RonS
03-01-2013, 19:02
One shop. There are several near here. Only one gets my business.

Short Cut
03-01-2013, 20:49
I like to poke around different gun shops, but generally I'm looking for older guns on consignment and such. With those it helps to have a pretty good idea of values so when a deal arises it can be recognized as such and purchased.

NoAllies
03-02-2013, 13:00
I feel no need to share who the vendor was who so rudely turned me away. My experience appears to be isolated, so I'm just going to let this go. I already ordered my GI No Name through another guy anyway, and I feel it would have been hard for the rude vendor to have beaten the price I was given as that price came in $300 below MSRP.