I know I know, I am a dumb ass!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I know I know, I am a dumb ass!!!

BIGGUNS911
03-01-2013, 17:09
The story:

Went to the range today with my Colt combat commander lightweight. I took a small bag of ammo with me, IDK where I got the ammo. As I pulled rounds I came across a few 40ís and a 9MM along with the 45 ACPís. You see where this is going donít you.

So yes I got a 40 in the mag with my 45 ACP rounds. Shot a few rounds and heard a strange report from the gun. Some of my rounds were reloads so I suspected it was a light load. Next thing I know I press the trigger and nothing. I tap and attempt to rack and the slide is stuck.:faint:

I take it to the bench and after some work I get the round out and sure as hell itís a 40. Looking over the gun I notice the firing pin block is gone and the firing pin is stuck forward. I strip the gun and, there goes the firing pin with spring flying out. I attempted to find the block but no luck.:shocked:

So what do you think happened, other than me being a dumb ass? :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
03-01-2013, 17:37
Not quite sure what happened. Wouldn't say you are a DA.
Would say you may have gotten very damn lucky

ithaca_deerslayer
03-01-2013, 17:48
What did the case look like?

bac1023
03-01-2013, 19:09
You're lucky you weren't hurt in some way, The 40S&W operates at a much higher pressure than the 45ACP.

Do you have pics?

itstime
03-01-2013, 19:14
You're lucky you weren't hurt in some way, The 40S&W operates at a much higher pressure than the 45ACP.

Do you have pics?

Bac beat me to it. You are lucky.

Ruggles
03-01-2013, 20:02
My dad did the same thing in a Kimber UCII. Four rounds all told, no damage to the gun at all. It cycled and fired all the rounds. The brass was mushroomed for lack of a better term.

You are not a DA, just made a mistake is all.

BIGGUNS911
03-01-2013, 21:59
What did the case look like?

Odd as it is the front formed to the shape of the chamber, the rear looked the same but the primer was missing.

BIGGUNS911
03-01-2013, 22:03

Do you have pics?

Rely not much to see, the firing pin retaining plate was just missing and the round looks like you would think it would. I did not take pics before I took the gun down. It sounds much worse than it was.

BIGGUNS911
03-01-2013, 22:05
Well I believe I will purchase the replacement part $9.99, from Brownells and get it back to work. Gun looks to be OK with not other broken, bent or missing parts. We will see if it goes back together as it should. :wavey:

okie
03-01-2013, 22:41
I'm thankful you didn't get hurt my friend:phew:

ilgunguygt
03-01-2013, 23:20

Do you have pics?
Not really a danger in that way. Without the chamber snug around the round for the case to seal too there is actually a lack of pressure. It cant build up because the case expands and ruptures. If the bullet made 300fps out the barrel I would be extremely surprised.

Lowjiber
03-02-2013, 07:02
This sounds nuts, but it's true.

I was at the range last summer firing a 1911. A buddy of mine approached with a WWB labeled .40S&W. He had just bought it at WallyWorld before coming to the range.

It contained two trays (50rds each) of .45ACP. He didn't think he could return it, and I bought it for $20.

BIGGUNS911
03-02-2013, 19:15
I have been thinking over the issue and I suspect I know what broke the firing pin block. I suspect the round was lose in the chamber and when it went off it slammed back into the firing pin. This possibly pushed the pin back very fast and hard. When the pin came back it hit the block and cracked it in half. I don't know this positively but it's the best I can come up with.

CanIhaveGasCash
03-03-2013, 21:26
I saw someone do the same thing with a Sig 1911, except the .40 didn't fire. The guy did a tap rack, causing a .45 to push the .40 into the barrel. When he fired it caused the barrel to explode.

03-12-2013, 14:15
I think the firing pin retainer and firing pin were separate issues from them bullet.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

southernshooter
03-13-2013, 05:40
I had the same thing happen with my Sig 220. I was shooting G27 at the same time and I guess one of the .40's rolled over onto the .45 side. Loaded it in the 220's mag, it went off, knocked the mag out of the gun. I examined the gun under an microscope afterwards and there was no damage. I was lucky also.
The .40 case tried to swell to fit the .45 chamber but split open in the process.

Zombie Steve
03-13-2013, 10:38
Shot a few rounds and heard a strange report from the gun. Some of my rounds were reloads so I suspected it was a light load. Next thing I know I press the trigger and nothing. I tap and attempt to rack and the slide is stuck.:faint:

Next time something sounds strange... take a look, reloads or not.

Loading a .40 was a mistake. Pulling the trigger after something sounded weird is a DA thing to do.

Had it been a squib, you'd be telling a different story right now and posting pics of your new stitches and blown-up gun.

jakebrake
03-13-2013, 15:07
safe to say you dodged a bullet. and probably a few parts.

a mixed bag of ammo is not a wise idea. when in doubt, sort it out. none of us want to see that happen to you, or anyone else.

fnfalman
03-13-2013, 15:31
I shot a 9mm in a .40SW P229 too. Too many damn guns and ammo too close together. That was the last time I had guns with so similar ammo dimensions next to each other.

arnold ziffle
03-13-2013, 16:02
the pressure will be less but it will work itself back around the case and either to into the firing pin hole or more often down the feed ramp and into the magazine.

jakebrake
03-13-2013, 16:06
I shot a 9mm in a .40SW P229 too. Too many damn guns and ammo too close together. That was the last time I had guns with so similar ammo dimensions next to each other.

this is a concern of mine. since i own the same model of pistol in more than one caliber, i wonder is a grease pencil may not be a bad idea. (rollmarks and markings on magazine) to identify. figure i may mistake 40 for 9 mm mags, but blue for red?

just an idea.

fnfalman
03-13-2013, 16:16
this is a concern of mine. since i own the same model of pistol in more than one caliber, i wonder is a grease pencil may not be a bad idea. (rollmarks and markings on magazine) to identify. figure i may mistake 40 for 9 mm mags, but blue for red?

just an idea.

I just stopped using the two P229s altogether.:supergrin:

glock2740
03-13-2013, 16:55
My dad did the same thing in a Kimber UCII. Four rounds all told, no damage to the gun at all. It cycled and fired all the rounds. The brass was mushroomed for lack of a better term.

You are not a DA, just made a mistake is all.
My buddy down in Texas did the exact same thing with the exact same gun, only with one round. No damage to his either.

chang-man
03-15-2013, 18:13
Sounds to me like the firing pin pierce the primer & got stuck, which cause the firing pin block to fall out.

pureshot78
03-15-2013, 20:38
In a defensive handgun class this year the man next to me was shooting .45 ACP and I thought noticed something fall to the ground as he holstered it. When the range master started the next drill he drew and "click". Sure enough, a .40 s&w found its way into his mag and when he holstered it slid down the barrel and to the ground. That was probably the luckiest dry press he's ever taken.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

BIGGUNS911
03-21-2013, 21:46
Sounds to me like the firing pin pierce the primer & got stuck, which cause the firing pin block to fall out.

I don't think the firing pin pierced the primer but I do believe it got stuck forward. After working on the gun and getting it back up and running I believe the firing pin block simply fell out. I do not believe it was broken. I was on a gravel range and could not find it once it fell out. :wavey:

All is good not and the gun is up and running.