Question About A 1918 Colt Arsenal Rebuild [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question About A 1918 Colt Arsenal Rebuild

CA Escapee
03-02-2013, 08:27
There's a local shop near me that has a re-parkerized Colt 1911 made in 1918. It has all the correct parts for a 1911 model. The parkerizing on it is the grayish type. It does have the AA (Agusta Arsenal) stamp on it, but no Government acceptance stamp. (crossed cannons) All the stamps are under the parkerizing. The metal has what appears to be a fine bead blasted finish to it.

Other customers and I have looked at it and discussed it with the owner of the shop. The question is whether it's an original arsenal re-parkerizing or an aftermarket job. Nobody seems to know.

He has a price of $1400 on it, but he tells us to make him an offer. Has anyone seen something like this one out in the wild?

Bill

Jason D
03-02-2013, 16:56
I highly doubt Agusta would have bead blasted the gun. If it has in fact been bead blasts it was done after the fact.

CA Escapee
03-02-2013, 19:26
Jason,

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, the customers and the owner of the shop have stood around and looked at the pistol. Everyone threw in tidbits of information. A lot of the indications are that it's correct, but nobody can tell for certain when the re-parkerizing was done.

Because of this doubt the owner is willing to accept a lower price for it. He's not selling it as an original arsenal rebuild from start to finish, but it appears to be a neat old gun.

I have an old DCM Franken1911A1 that I take out and shoot every now and then, so I'm not really in the market for another 1911.

Bill

Jim Watson
03-02-2013, 19:27
Prep for Parkerizing is sandblast, it is a coarse finish.
I don't know all the trivia that makes army surplus so valuable but $1400 sounds like a lot for even a first class AA rework.