Is This Normal? Recoil Spring Guide Rod [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is This Normal? Recoil Spring Guide Rod

Redstate
03-03-2013, 17:27
I have a Citadel Compact (officer size). It is the same pistol as the RIA (Armscor). I also have Glocks. On Glocks, it is normal for the recoil spring assembly to slip out of the circular cut of the barrel lug.

I am wondering whether it is normal on one of these Compact 1911's with the reverse captive recoil spring assembly for the semi-circle part of recoil spring guide rod to come off from the barrel. I don't know if I worded that correctly.

Let me try to explain it this way. When I place the recoil spring guide rod in to the slide, there is a semi circle that fits to the bottom of the barrel. When I remove the slide, the semi circle is no longer against the bottom of the barrel, but is now almost coming out of place, kind of like the Glock does.

The reason I ask is that I do not remember it doing this until I put on a new recoil spring. I also took my buddy's RIA Compact apart today and his guide rod assembly stays down on the barrel.

What's up?

faawrenchbndr
03-03-2013, 17:30
Absolutely no comparison between a Glock's recoil assy and a 1911

Redstate
03-03-2013, 17:35
Absolutely no comparison between a Glock's recoil assy and a 1911

Does this mean that it is not normal for a compact 1911 to do this? Thanks.

faawrenchbndr
03-03-2013, 17:40
From what you seem to be describing, yes it is normal.
Once the slide stop is removed, the barrel link is allowed to pivot when the slide is removed.
Then the recoil spring assy extends and causes the "issue" you are stating.

Redstate
03-03-2013, 18:02
From what you seem to be describing, yes it is normal.
Once the slide stop is removed, the barrel link is allowed to pivot when the slide is removed.
Then the recoil spring assy extends and causes the "issue" you are stating.

Any explanation for why my buddy's doesn't do it? Thanks again.

faawrenchbndr
03-03-2013, 18:06
Kinda hard to explain a malfunction that I can not see. I can only
tell you what should happen.

What you are describing is normal

Redstate
03-03-2013, 18:08
Kinda hard to explain a malfunction that I can not see. I can only
tell you what should happen.

Holy crap. Now you got me worried. You used the "m" word.

countrygun
03-03-2013, 18:48
Some do and some don't. Not unusual either way with a FLGR, or similar) in 1911.

Put it back together and hand cycle it. The gun will tell you if anything is wrong.

cciman
03-03-2013, 18:55
Maybe your "buddies" gun has better parts than yours.:whistling:
You should go back to the original recoil spring.

If your gun cycles normally, then stop worrying about it.

Ever wonder why a partial mil spec 1911 guide rod works as well as a full length rod?

Redstate
03-03-2013, 21:00
Some do and some don't. Not unusual either way with a FLGR, or similar) in 1911.

Put it back together and hand cycle it. The gun will tell you if anything is wrong.

Thanks. It does cycle fine.

Redstate
03-03-2013, 21:04
Maybe your "buddies" gun has better parts than yours.:whistling:
You should go back to the original recoil spring.

If your gun cycles normally, then stop worrying about it.

Ever wonder why a partial mil spec 1911 guide rod works as well as a full length rod?

I tried the original recoil spring again after starting this thread. It now does it with that one as well. :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
03-04-2013, 05:23
It's completely normal!

But seeing how you do like this answer, ask the question on another
forum, even better, send it back to Citadel. Want to bet on what they tell you? :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
03-04-2013, 17:04
Hey,.......how 'bout asking this on a few more forums?

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=407115

cciman
03-04-2013, 18:13
I think your buddies gun is definitely better than yours. Mine too. Not one of my 8 1911's does what yours does.

Send it back.

Redstate
03-04-2013, 18:51
Deleted

faawrenchbndr
03-04-2013, 19:38
:rofl:

MarkAD
03-06-2013, 01:42
I have a Citadel Compact (officer size). It is the same pistol as the RIA (Armscor).
I am wondering whether it is normal on one of these Compact 1911's with the reverse captive recoil spring assembly for the semi-circle part of recoil spring guide rod to come off from the barrel. I don't know if I worded that correctly.

Let me try to explain it this way. When I place the recoil spring guide rod in to the slide, there is a semi circle that fits to the bottom of the barrel. When I remove the slide, the semi circle is no longer against the bottom of the barrel.

The reason I ask is that I do not remember it doing this until I put on a new recoil spring. I also took my buddy's RIA Compact apart today and his guide rod assembly stays down on the barrel.

What's up?

i do not think it is normal, but are you reinstalling it correctly?
DO you sit the cresent against the barrel when you put it in. And is it just off the barrel a bit when you take it off?
my compact uses the same type of recoil system and I have never seen what you are describing. Take some photos and show us and we can try to help you.
But you have to stop comparing glocks to real metal, MANLY pistols.:tongueout:

Redstate
03-06-2013, 19:00
MarkAd, thanks for your response. I am installing the assembly correctly. Is yours that you reference an Armscor made pistol also?

MarkAD
03-06-2013, 20:17
MarkAd, thanks for your response. I am installing the assembly correctly. Is yours that you reference an Armscor made pistol also?

No, my compact is a Kimber, i got a good price on it, but the captive spring system is the same basic design.
You could ship the pistol to andi can test it and get result of the testing in about 10 or12 years.