Land line telephones... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Land line telephones...

railfancwb
04-26-2013, 07:32
Anyone still use a real rotary dial telephone on their land line - the one which has electro-mechanical clicks related to the number dialed? This was also called pulse dialing.

http://www.oldphones.com/servlet/Detail?no=14

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Bruce M
04-26-2013, 07:40
I still have one at home. In some/many of the automated telephne answering systems pulse dialing can provide for a direct connection to a live person, possibly because * and # are not available.

captainstormy
04-26-2013, 07:41
I didn't know people paid so much for old phones. There has to be a small fortune sitting around in some of my relatives houses.

I know my uncle Russel is still using the same rotary dialing phone he was using when I was a kid. Which is the one his father put in the house probably sometime in the late 70s.

They have had it fixed a couple of times even because he likes the phone. I didn't even know people could fix those old phones still.

Dennis in MA
04-26-2013, 07:44
My daughter has one in her closet somewhere. About 10 years ago, she was rummaging around my wife's uncle's house and found it. At the time, it may have weighed 1/4 what she did. She pulled it out a few months ago. LOL

I have a client that worked on install for the telco. He said that even into the early 80's, you could still go in and find the old phones in people's houses. Like pick up the receiver and talk into the handle type phones. RENTED FROM THE PHONE COMPANY! LOL FOR OVER 50 YEARS!!!!

JohnBT
04-26-2013, 08:00
I have 3 old Western Electric rotaries left over from the '80s when AT&T decided that customers could buy their phones for less than $20 or pay a monthly rental fee of $3 or $4 on each phone. The phones are much older than the '80s, that's just when I bought them.

I keep a red one on the bottom shelf of the nightstand just in case my cell phone isn't working, although the ringer is disabled. As long as the FiOS package contains a land line I'll keep a dial phone. :)

Dr. Leaky
04-26-2013, 08:06
I've got a really nice red one sitting on the kitchen counter. I mostly use it to answer calls because so often you have to press 1 for English when you're calling out. It is kinda fun to actually dial a call once in a while. Plus it sounds cool when it rings. I found a template online for the number card that goes inside the dial so it has that too.

Dennis in MA
04-26-2013, 08:39
Does pulse dialing even work anymore in a digital landscape? I've got Comcast for phone, so no more twisted pair.

md2lgyk
04-26-2013, 08:45
The whole time I was growing up, my parents had the same rotary wall phone. After about 40 years, the phone company told my father he'd have to change it because they would no longer support pulse dialing. He complained about it until the day he died.

We have a landline because cell service is iffy where we live. But it certainly isn't a rotary. I've never asked if one of those would actually work.

686Owner
04-26-2013, 08:51
Does pulse dialing even work anymore in a digital landscape? I've got Comcast for phone, so no more twisted pair.

In 1997, I was dating a girl who's dad was too cheap to pay for touch tone (cost extra). Pretty sure it's won't work VOIP.

itstime
04-26-2013, 08:58
I wouldn't think the system would still handle that technology.. I wonder if I look hard enough I could find one in a box somewhere?? I should try to see if it even works. I love the old days.

Dennis in MA
04-26-2013, 09:06
It was a dollar extra and my father wouldn't pay for it in 1990. :upeyes:

I grew up in Easton, MA. It is a fairly historic town. My big claim-to-fame Easton story is that in 1985, it had the second-oldest phone lines in the country. I think some backwater town in Iowa with 4 residents had an older one.

This isn't some town in the middle of nowhere with the same two families for 8 generations. Easton is a half-hour from Boston. It was cutting edge in the 1860's and a stop on the big-band tour in the 20's. Somewhere along the line, it fell off the map. LOL

So you COULDN'T use touch-tone. It wasn't designed for it. Pulse only. And I could dial FOUR numbers and get anyone in town. FOUR! Think of how old that system is - not 5. FOUR!

Oh, and the static was intense. Like ALL THE TIME. You would be talking to one person, it would go full-static like a walkie-talkie and you'd end up talking to someone else. :rofl:

So. Anyhow - it's 1980-something. Lee Van Cleef had some ninja show on TV. One season wonder. In one episode, Lee was injured and sleeping on some lady's office couch. She unplugged something on the wall and left.

It was a year or more before I discovered that, lo and behold, modern phones didn't use the 4-prong method of wall connection. :rofl:

I discovered it b/c my room was somehow wired for phone and I got a cool Cobraphone in 84/85 after divestiture - when you could BUY a phone. My dad had to rewire the outlet so I could use it. Of course. clickclickclickclick clickclickclick click clickclick to dial.

Those were fun days. Just fascinating to see the technology that I've experienced in just MY short lifetime.

PVolk
04-26-2013, 09:16
We used to keep one in the closet for when we lost electricity. But we don't even have a landline anymore these days.

Dennis in MA
04-26-2013, 09:22
We used to keep one in the closet for when we lost electricity. But we don't even have a landline anymore these days.

Come to think of it, we've got a slimline on the kitchen wall outlet. But it's taped closed because we keep bumping it. I've got a UPS on the Comcast box. I'm pretty sure if the electricity craps out, I won't have phone anyhow, but the Slimline blends in better than that ugly wall-mount plug.

CAcop
04-26-2013, 10:21
My dad had one sometime into the 90s. He had it as his Batphone by the bed for when work called him n the middle of the night. He didn't want to have to get up anymore than he had to. The ringer was too loud for him so he opened it up and wrapped about an inch of electrical tape around the bells so it just made a clicking sound.

Batesmotel
04-26-2013, 15:31
I have one in my home office, It is seldom used but it is there.

kirbinster
04-26-2013, 16:54
I have one at home, and it is even a payphone!

samuse
04-26-2013, 17:33
I know my grandma had and used several in her house until 'o8.

bamacisa
04-26-2013, 18:43
We have one. It is a wall phone by the kitchen table. My mother, who lived in our house had it installed years ago. (around 1970,s) It still works perfectly. If it is not broke, don't fix it. We have five other phones....all of the are push button cordless, including one in the kitchen. We also have two cell phones and a smart phone.

Python-Hunter
04-26-2013, 19:18
I think that these old, Ma Bell, Cast Iron, handsets were considered a self-defense tool.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

JohnBT
04-26-2013, 19:40
"It was a dollar extra and my father wouldn't pay for it in 1990."

My 80-year-old aunt and uncle iive south of Charlottesville on part of the old home place. Two years ago their land line started acting up. The repairman told them he wouldn't mention it to the phone company, but they were still on a party line and being charged the reduced rate even though there wasn't another house on the circuit and hadn't been for 40 years.

Do I need to explain what a party line is? :supergrin:

Prior to WW2 almost all U.S. residential phone service was party lines. You had to listen for your assigned ring pattern - two shorts and a long or whatever.

Brian Lee
04-26-2013, 20:10
My family was probably the first house in town to get a push button phone back in about 1970, several years before most people had them. When I was a kid I used to call people up just so I could use the buttons to play Mary Had a Little Lamb to the person I was talking to.

Here's the sheet music.

6545666, 555, 666, 6545666, 55654

Thank you very much!!!:rock:

GIockGuy24
04-26-2013, 20:17
My telephone is a rotary phone. Somewhere I also have a touch tone phone that can switch to pulse dialing and double spped pulse dialing. I'm used to the rotary phone and I can dial it faster than a touch tone phone because my finger knows where the numbers are. Until recently touch tone service was extra cost here and I bought the touch tone phone only for services that require, "press number" functions. I tried a cordless phone for a while but the battery pack died and was no longer available and the last price for the battery pack was more than the whole phone. The rotary phone is better filtered than the touch tone phone and picks up less electronic interference and static.

GIockGuy24
04-26-2013, 20:29
I bought a battery powered caller ID box. It takes regular cheap AA batteries. I found compared to the now dead cordless telephone, the battery powered caller ID box still works when the electric power goes out.

HenryinFlorida
04-26-2013, 20:35

I worked in Telecommunications for almost 40 years.
For years Telephone companies kept equiptment that would convert old rotary dail phones into touch tone dialing. As those offices get upgraded I doubt they continue to support that old technology. I would imagine if you live in some smaller areas they might still have old equiptment that will support rotary dialing, but I bet those offices are getting fewer as time goes by.

GIockGuy24
04-26-2013, 21:47
In 1997, I was dating a girl who's dad was too cheap to pay for touch tone (cost extra). Pretty sure it's won't work VOIP.

I never saw an advantage to paying extra for touch tone service. To use it would also require buying a new telephone.

The family across the street paid for touch tone service for some reason. Touch tone service is now free of charge here for people that didn't buy it before but the family across the street still gets the additional charge on their telephone bill. They would have to change their telephone service to remove the charge.

goldenlight
04-27-2013, 01:18
I have an old rotary telephone out in my garage. It was made in the mid to late 1960's, and still works. I think it was made by Southern Bell, but I'm not positive.

The garage gets to -20F in the winter, and probably 110F to 120F in the summer. Electronic phones don't last more than a year or two.

That telephone has been out there for over 20 years. I paid $10 for it at a surplus/junk store locally. It was a good purchase; I wish I had a spare, as it won't last forever, and I can't find them anymore.

Nobody builds telephones like that, anymore. They were really built to last; the best of USA manufacturing, in its prime.:cool:

goldenlight
04-27-2013, 01:26

The land lines still work, when the power fails: if you lose too many cell towers, part or most of a city can lose cell service, but I've NEVER seen the land line service fail, ever.

I can't see how the local phone companies stay in business; very few people have land lines these days.

JuneyBooney
04-27-2013, 03:22
Anyone still use a real rotary dial telephone on their land line - the one which has electro-mechanical clicks related to the number dialed? This was also called pulse dialing.

http://www.oldphones.com/servlet/Detail?no=14

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

I still have one mounted on the wall but I don't use t much.

Dennis in MA
04-27-2013, 07:49
I worked in Telecommunications for almost 40 years.
For years Telephone companies kept equiptment that would convert old rotary dail phones into touch tone dialing. As those offices get upgraded I doubt they continue to support that old technology. I would imagine if you live in some smaller areas they might still have old equiptment that will support rotary dialing, but I bet those offices are getting fewer as time goes by.

I met a prospective client at work once. An old switch room. Huge room. All you could hear was clack clack clack clack. I think it was Cranston, RI. That was 20 years ago and may have been one of the last if not last mechanical switches that NYNEX had. Lol

Dennis in MA
04-27-2013, 07:50
I have an old rotary telephone out in my garage. It was made in the mid to late 1960's, and still works. I think it was made by Southern Bell, but I'm not positive.

The garage gets to -20F in the winter, and probably 110F to 120F in the summer. Electronic phones don't last more than a year or two.

That telephone has been out there for over 20 years. I paid $10 for it at a surplus/junk store locally. It was a good purchase; I wish I had a spare, as it won't last forever, and I can't find them anymore.

Nobody builds telephones like that, anymore. They were really built to last; the best of USA manufacturing, in its prime.:cool:

It's also less effective to clock a burglar with a smart phone.

Back in the day, if you dropped the phone, or even the receiver,meveryone in the hous knew it. Lol