Wireless Router [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router

Calico Jack
04-26-2013, 13:26
I need a wireless router (internet provider is Suddenlink) for my single story home that is reliable and simple. I would only be using it for iphone, ipad, and laptop browsing...no hardcore gaming or anything. Any and all recommendations welcome.

Drain You
04-26-2013, 13:31
Linksys. Cheap, reliable, easy to set up.

bamacisa
04-26-2013, 13:33
We just went to Best Buy and talked to the salesman and picked out one.

JBG30
04-26-2013, 15:40
Linksys. Cheap, reliable, easy to set up.

Just had a Linksys die on me. Replaced it with a Netgear. I think the Netgear was easier to setup and the interface is better.

GeorgiaGlocker
04-26-2013, 17:45
I had a Linksys that died on me after five years. I had no problems with it at all until it just died. I replaced it with a Netgear on a suggestion from my son. It was easier to set-up than the Linksys.

Highspeedlane
04-26-2013, 18:12
Consumer grade routers are all over the map with respect to reliability. A few years ago I bought Linksys and it died at 8 months, bought another and it lasted 6 months, then I bought a Belkin and it lasted about 45 days, then I went with D-Link and got a good 2-1/2 years before it croaked, and now I'm on about month 4 of the latest Linksys iteration.

aircarver
04-26-2013, 18:15
Have Linksys and Netgear.

Prefer Netgear

wrenrj1
04-26-2013, 18:56
You have apple, stick with it. Go with an airport express, not the cheapest, but it just...works. Going on two years of flawless service. No websites etc. to connect to, etc, it just asks you a few questions and you are on line.

bearone2
04-26-2013, 19:33
i've had a linksys for years, ez to setup.

sputnik767
04-26-2013, 19:33
Apple is fine, but costly. If you can still find them, the Linksys WRT54GL (actually $50 on Amazon) is probably the best router you can buy for the price. My dad ran it for probably 5 or 6 years without fail. It's a very basic and reliable router. But it accepts open-source firmware such as DD-WRT which can turn it into a business-grade router if you choose to. If you want features such as printer sharing, multiple USB ports, DLNA server, FTP server, etc, it'll cost you. My router was $160, and I highly recommend it if you need the features I mentioned. Asus RT-N66U dual band wireless N router.

sappy13
04-26-2013, 20:17
Get a netgear n600, also called the WNDR3700. They are a great consumer grade wireless router. You can get them for like 100 bucks or so. Price might even be a little lower since a newer model in a different wireless standard has come out. I put them in all my clients that wont pay for a 600 dollar ruckus wireless AP.

Stlbrian
04-26-2013, 20:26
Get a netgear n600, also called the WNDR3700. They are a great consumer grade wireless router. You can get them for like 100 bucks or so. Price might even be a little lower since a newer model in a different wireless standard has come out. I put them in all my clients that wont pay for a 600 dollar ruckus wireless AP.

Ill second the WNDR3700. I have several I devices, and they all work flawlessly with it. As well as my macbook, and my wife's Dell. USB readyshare is useless, but that is the only negative I can find after almost 4 years with the router

wjv
04-26-2013, 20:28
ASUS Black Diamond.

NOT cheap. . But GOOD!

sappy13
04-26-2013, 20:31
Ill second the WNDR3700. I have several I devices, and they all work flawlessly with it. As well as my macbook, and my wife's Dell. USB readyshare is useless, but that is the only negative I can find after almost 4 years with the router

If you have version 1 or 2 you can flash ddwrt and make them amazing. It was at one point in the top 3 or 4 routers for ddwrt. Only one that beat it were like 160 dollar or more routers

GIockGuy24
04-26-2013, 20:41
I can recommend the Netgear WNDR3700 v4 (WNDR3700v4) (version 4). It has twice the memory of the earlier versions and a better chipset. The first two have decent chipsets but half the memory. The third version has a chipset that has less range and half the memory of the fourth version. Make sure the one you get is not v3. The third version does work but usually won't have the range or signal strength of the fourth version.

Black&TAN
04-26-2013, 20:43
Have had experience with multiple: Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, Belkin routers... running a Cisco Linksys E3200 now alongside a couple (Netgear) network switches, no complaints with the brand. Software provided for basic setup is fairly straight forward, though most of my settings are done through IP.

sent via Tapatalk

RWBlue
04-26-2013, 21:03
Consumer grade routers are all over the map with respect to reliability. A few years ago I bought Linksys and it died at 8 months, bought another and it lasted 6 months, then I bought a Belkin and it lasted about 45 days, then I went with D-Link and got a good 2-1/2 years before it croaked, and now I'm on about month 4 of the latest Linksys iteration.

Something else is wrong in your world. If you had one bad unit, I would say ok, bad unit, but you have had too many die. It is a statistical outlier. Or to put it a different way, we hand out many consumer routers, we almost never (I can't think of one) have them come back dead.

My next one will be a Linksys EA6500 Smart Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC Router with Gigabit and 2x USB.

I am upgrading because I want the USB ports.

Maxx702
04-27-2013, 06:57
I also bought a Netgear to replace a dead Linksys.

Super easy setup, even has an iphone app.

Model N600 cost about $60.

harrybosch
04-27-2013, 12:50
Linksys WRT54G versions 1-4. Put tomato or DD-WRT firmware on it. I can buy these used all day long at local Goodwill stores for $4-$13 apiece. I'm running a P4 3.0 gHz tower, a netbook, an old laptop and Iphone off of one with tomato firmware, pretty much bulletproof. I get 15 down, 2 up on my Comcast internet, so a 54Mbps router is good enough. The later WRT54G versions after version 4 has reduced RAM and are not as desirable to own.