For Whom The Bell Tolls [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For Whom The Bell Tolls

Eric
04-26-2013, 15:22
I was at the doctor today, getting a couple of prescriptions renewed. The doctor's office apparently recently changed their office musac to some fairly Wagnerian classical music. Just before the doctor came in, the song changed to one with solemn organ music. When the doctor walked in, I asked him if there was something he needed to tell me. He didn't get it, even after I explained it.:supergrin: Perhaps I slice my humor too thin, but listening to organ dirges at the doctor's office is creepy. I kept expecting someone to start embalming me. Eric

Arc Angel
04-26-2013, 15:30
You learn to live with it. ;)

One perception that help me to cope is the realization that I'm NOT going to pass until that (preordained) moment when my time here is through. Personally I find that thought very comforting. :)

dun4791
04-26-2013, 16:12
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls [With Lyrics] [Full HD 1080p] - YouTube

JBG30
04-26-2013, 16:33
Time marches on! :supergrin:

GVFlyer
04-26-2013, 16:44
I like the John Donne reference from his meditation that reminds us that the death of any of us diminishes the rest of us.

No Man Is An Island

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

John Donne
Meditation 17
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions

deputy tom
04-26-2013, 16:46
It tolls for thee. tom.

Eric
04-26-2013, 16:48
Guys, I just thought it was funny and a little creepy to hear organ music at the doctor's office. You all are bringing me down.:supergrin: Eric

GVFlyer
04-26-2013, 16:52
Guys, I just thought it was funny and a little creepy to hear organ music at the doctor's office. You all are bringing me down.:supergrin: Eric

Hopefully, it wasn't this little ditty from Chopin.

http://youtu.be/30OIz2t7h9s

RonS
04-26-2013, 16:59
There are some people who should have upgraded to the model with the sense of humor. I'm lucky my doctor is someone you can joke with. A year ago he asked me, "So, how's the depression treating you." He about busted a gut when I told him with a completely deadpan delivery, "I have decided I'm not depressed. You and all the other people in the world are just in denial."

Bruce M
04-26-2013, 16:59
I would be even more concerned if the doctor insisted that you pay up front.

GVFlyer
04-26-2013, 17:12
I would be even more concerned if the doctor insisted that you pay up front.

LOL! :rofl:

Dennis in MA
04-26-2013, 17:45
AC/DC - Hells Bells - YouTube

Eric
04-26-2013, 18:14
OK, let's make this a thread a list of songs that should be played in a doctor's office:

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
Bad Case of Loving You - Robert Palmer
I Want A New Drug - Huey Lewis & The News
Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Brown
Somebody Get Me A Doctor - Van Halen
Dear Doctor - Rolling Stones
Calling Doctor Love - KISS
Dr Feelgood - Mötley Crüe
Why Does It Hurt When I Pee - Frank Zappa
Industrial Disease - Dire Straights
Down With The Sickness - Disturbed
Spreading The Disease - Queensryche
Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.
Hurt - Johnny Cash (NIN)
Bleed It Out - Linkin Park
Disease - Matchbox 20

Restless28
04-26-2013, 18:21
OK, let's make this a thread a list of songs that should be played in a doctor's office:

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
I Want A New Drug - Huey Lewis & The News
Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Brown
Somebody Get Me A Doctor - Van Halen
Dear Doctor - Rolling Stones
Calling Doctor Love - KISS
Dr Feelgood - Poison
Why Does It Hurt When I Pee - Frank Zappa
Industrial Disease - Dire Straights
Down With The Sickness - Disturbed
Spreading The Disease - Queensryche
Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.
Hurt - Johnny Cash (NIN)
Bleed It Out - Linkin Park
Disease - Matchbox 20

You left out Saliva.

Hauptmann6
04-26-2013, 18:42
The Jack - AC/DC

13 ROMEO
04-26-2013, 19:08
The Jack - AC/DC

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can see the faces once they realize what the song is about!:whistling:

RichJ
04-26-2013, 19:10
Ok, I just spent the last hour listening to Metallica videos on youtube.

Thanks man. :thumbsup:

w9trb
04-26-2013, 19:39
Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin

Eric
04-26-2013, 19:45
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=232965&stc=1&d=1367027085

HollowHead
04-26-2013, 20:05
My new dentist has a thing for power funk. There are worse things to listne to while getting excavated than Parliament, Bootsy Collins and Slade. HH

DARKSHADOW
04-26-2013, 20:06
Time marches on! :supergrin:

First thing that came to my mind. :thumbsup:

banjobob
04-26-2013, 20:45
I have Hank Williams, Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson and Bob Wills playing in my dental office. I'm fairly new to pandora but so far it's the greatest thing ever.

RWBlue
04-26-2013, 20:50
Reminds me of going to a dentist. While sitting in the waiting room I hear drilling and drilling and not some little drill but a big drill. I can feel the vibrations in the chair.

Turns out the doc was putting up shelves, but everyone in the waiting room was weirding out.

janice6
04-26-2013, 20:51
For you "old timers"......Lily Tomlin had a classic line: She said that "I worry that the person who thought up musak may be thinking up something else."

JBG30
04-26-2013, 20:56
Dr Feelgood - Poison

Motley Crew maybe?

Eric
04-26-2013, 20:58
Motley Crew maybe?

Oops. That's what I meant. FWIW though, Mötley Crüe and Poison have performed Dr Feelgood together, in concert.

HollowHead
04-26-2013, 20:59
I have Hank Williams, Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson and Bob Wills playing in my dental office. I'm fairly new to pandora but so far it's the greatest thing ever.

Given that choice, I'd go for full sedation. HH

G30SF/F-250
04-26-2013, 21:38
Ok, I just spent the last hour listening to Metallica videos on youtube.

Thanks man. :thumbsup:

I just started.

G30SF/F-250
04-26-2013, 21:40
Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin

Please leave this thread now.

Eric
04-26-2013, 21:45
Given that choice, I'd go for full sedation. HH

That reminds me:

I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones

Thanks.:wavey: Eric

Hamilton Burger
04-27-2013, 00:33
'88-'90 I was going off/on to a chiropractor whose offices were in an architecturally odd building. I customarily took the latest possible appt. when the staff was minimal... usually just me and my DC.

They would go off, leaving me in traction for a little while and things got really quiet. I could hear strange goings on down the hall, voices and footsteps, even faint music. One time I disconnected myself to go take a look; of course nobody was out there.

One night as I was leaving, the receptionist was still in the front office. While the lady was setting my next appointment, she and my wife (also a regular patient) were having a pleasant chat about the beautiful stained glass window set in the office's back wall. I mentioned the odd accoustics of the dome-topped building, the voices and noises I'd heard, organ playing etc.

She made cow eyes and said "You did know this used to be a mortuary, right?"

From that day forward my wife would not set foot in the place. Some other weird things happened with me and eventually I stopped going as well. :whistling:

Fred Hansen
04-27-2013, 01:42
Toccata & Fugue in d minor (BACH, J.S.) - YouTube

AZson
04-27-2013, 12:07
I went to my Dr the other day because I had a large cyst in my nose and he broke out his camera and started taking pictures, said this was the worst he ever saw. So I calmly said, so what, I'm going to be your poster boy?
My Dr is nice, I'll bet I'm the only one who ever left his DR office will a handful of ammo.
He had the same type of gun I had just bought a SW 642 and wanted me to try some ammo he liked.

WarCry
04-27-2013, 12:52
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=232965&stc=1&d=1367027085

Denied!

Dennis in MA
04-27-2013, 13:47
'88-'90 I was going off/on to a chiropractor whose offices were in an architecturally odd building. I customarily took the latest possible appt. when the staff was minimal... usually just me and my DC.

They would go off, leaving me in traction for a little while and things got really quiet. I could hear strange goings on down the hall, voices and footsteps, even faint music. One time I disconnected myself to go take a look; of course nobody was out there.

One night as I was leaving, the receptionist was still in the front office. While the lady was setting my next appointment, she and my wife (also a regular patient) were having a pleasant chat about the beautiful stained glass window set in the office's back wall. I mentioned the odd accoustics of the dome-topped building, the voices and noises I'd heard, organ playing etc.

She made cow eyes and said "You did know this used to be a mortuary, right?"

From that day forward my wife would not set foot in the place. Some other weird things happened with me and eventually I stopped going as well. :whistling:

Great. Now not only do people haunt the places they lived and the places they tragically died. Now they haunt the places they were viewed. Lol

Drain You
04-27-2013, 13:49
Metallica fans are old :rofl:

Paul53
04-27-2013, 16:08
"Suicide is Painless" the theme from M.A.S.H.

"Shiny, Happy People" by the B52's

"You Got Me Under Pressure" David Bowie

"Paranoid" Black Sabbath

"Smoke that Cigarette" Tex Williams

Tex Williams - Smoke Smoke That Cigarette - YouTube

Anything by The Greatful Dead

"Transfusion" Nervous Norvus

"Transfusion"- NERVOUS NORVUS - YouTube

railfancwb
04-27-2013, 16:14
While in college, my journey to/from took be by a VA hospital which backed up to a cemetery. Amusing and disturbing at the same time.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

railfancwb
04-27-2013, 16:19
You learn to live with it. ;)

One perception that help me to cope is the realization that I'm NOT going to pass until that (preordained) moment when my time here is through. Personally I find that thought very comforting. :)

I used to joke about "my time" when getting ready to fly somewhere on business. I said "If my time comes while in the air, guess the plane will just have to crash."

Then someone asked "But suppose it the time for another passenger on your plane?" Oops!

Paul53
04-27-2013, 16:30
I don't care about the time. Just want to know where? Then I can choose the time.

Keep in mind, in an plane crash, the people in first class get there first!

railfancwb
04-27-2013, 16:35
With the recent death of George Jones,

"He Stopped Loving Her Today"

"I'm Not Lisa" Jessi Colter

"In Heaven" Suzy Boggus

"It's Not Going to Happen Today" Suzy Boggus

Rick C
04-27-2013, 17:22

Little Feat fans are even older, kid.:tongueout:

Rock n Roll Doctor by Little Feat.

Two degrees in Be-Bop, a PHD in Swing,
he’s a Master of Rhythm, he's a Rock n Roll King.

rick458
04-27-2013, 17:50
Bury me, thirty seconds to Mars

Paul53
04-27-2013, 18:07
Bury me, thirty seconds to Mars

I see what you did there. Very good!

BAILIFF
04-27-2013, 19:23

Kurt Cobain is dead. Your pick.

:upeyes:

Drain You
04-27-2013, 20:46

Wow, how do you display illiteracy, lack of grammar, an oblivion to humor, insecurity, flavored with an air of obsolescent curmudgeoness likely centered by being tone deaf?

You sir deserve an award!

You even managed use most of your correct sentence structure on pointing out something super obvious that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, good show old bean!

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/audience.gif

flyover
04-27-2013, 20:53
You may have the song listed and I didn't recognize the tittle.

Doctor, Doctor give me the news.

Rick C
04-27-2013, 20:54
Cobain......

Oh hell, I’m in.
Your hero suck-started a shotgun.

G30SF/F-250
04-27-2013, 20:59

Please don't feed the troll.

:wavey:

Eric
04-27-2013, 21:06
You may have the song listed and I didn't recognize the tittle.

Doctor, Doctor give me the news.

"A pretty face don't make no pretty heart"

Eric
04-27-2013, 21:10
Wow, how do you display illiteracy, lack of grammar, an oblivion to humor, insecurity, flavored with an air of obsolescent curmudgeoness likely centered by being tone deaf?

You sir deserve an award!

You even managed use most of your correct sentence structure on pointing out something super obvious that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, good show old bean!

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/audience.gif

Don't be stupid and contagious. If you turn my thread into a pissing match, it is going to smell like admin spirit in here.

G30SF/F-250
04-27-2013, 21:15
I see what you did there.

:rofl:

Rick C
04-27-2013, 21:22
Anything by Dr. John (Mac Rebennack sp).:supergrin:

OldSchool64
04-27-2013, 21:43

HighWay To Hell??????????????
:rofl: :rofl:

Eric
04-27-2013, 21:45
HighWay To Hell??????????????
:rofl: :rofl:

Umm, Wayne's World, genius. :supergrin: Eric

Eric
04-27-2013, 21:46
Movie Scene - Wayne's World - Bohemian Rhapsody - YouTube

50 Cent
04-27-2013, 22:18
I was at the doctor today, getting a couple of prescriptions renewed. The doctor's office apparently recently changed their office musac to some fairly Wagnerian classical music. Just before the doctor came in, the song changed to one with solemn organ music. When the doctor walked in, I asked him if there was something he needed to tell me. He didn't get it, even after I explained it.:supergrin: Perhaps I slice my humor too thin, but listening to organ dirges at the doctor's office is creepy. I kept expecting someone to start embalming me. Eric

You were expecting Lady Gaga's Bad Romance maybe??

Eric
04-27-2013, 22:27
You were expecting Lady Gaga's Bad Romance maybe??

I was expecting elevator musac, not funeral home musac. Eric

50 Cent
04-27-2013, 23:04
I was expecting elevator musac, not funeral home musac. Eric

Maybe he has a local deal with the undertaker to drum up some business???? :rofl:

dun4791
04-28-2013, 08:26
This site needs a metallica song of the day sticky, haha!

Metallica - The Day That Never Comes[Video Premiere] - YouTube

jakebrake
04-28-2013, 08:29
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls [With Lyrics] [Full HD 1080p] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzeBIABXXSg&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

my first thought too.

GVFlyer
04-28-2013, 08:35
I don't care about the time. Just want to know where? Then I can choose the time.

Keep in mind, in an plane crash, the people in first class get there first!

No, it's the pilots that are the first people at the scene of the crash.

Bill Powell
04-28-2013, 09:39
please mr. custer, i don't wanna go.

Mrs. VR
04-28-2013, 11:34

Damn it! I'm sitting in mom!s hospital room and almost choked on a burrito. :rofl:

Eric
04-28-2013, 13:39
Damn it! I'm sitting in mom!s hospital room and almost choked on a burrito. :rofl:

"That bass player's a babe. She makes me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class." - Garth Algar

Glad I could make you laugh. Keep your chin up. :hugs: Eric

Jake514
04-28-2013, 17:04
With the recent death of George Jones,

"He Stopped Loving Her Today"

"I'm Not Lisa" Jessi Colter

"In Heaven" Suzy Boggus

"It's Not Going to Happen Today" Suzy Boggus

Don't forget George's hit, "Who's Gonna Fill There Shoes." Best if seen with the video.

railfancwb
04-30-2013, 21:50
"Guess Things Happen That Way" written by Jack Clement, big hit for Johnny Cash in 1958. I heard it the first time in 2006, performed by Jack Clement on Garrison Keller's "Live From the Ryman". This was a couple months after my wife died suddenly and unexpectedly, and the song hit hard.