Did any of you celebrate Arbor day? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Did any of you celebrate Arbor day?

Bullman
04-26-2013, 17:47
By planting a tree?

We lost a tree earlier this year, one of the fir trees in our front yard got blown over and landed on the house. I decided to replace it with a Redbud tree. Since I am from Oklahoma, and am now transplanted in Virginia I thought I would celebrate my heritage with the Oklahoma state tree in my front yard.:supergrin:

m2hmghb
04-26-2013, 18:15
Nope. We had a half dozen trees come down in the last storms. Once I get things stabilized I will, but right now it's a pain just cutting up the ones that fell. I miss them, it's hard knowing that there won't be a replacement for them for at least 25 years.

Eric
04-26-2013, 18:16
I usually celebrate with a bonfire. Eric

hogfish
04-26-2013, 18:37
Not sure when it was (yesterday?), but I am either planting or thinking about what/where I'm going to plant just about every week of spring and summer. :wavey:

wrenrj1
04-26-2013, 18:44
I got the day off for Arbor Day, in the only state that makes Arbor Day a state holiday. I looked outside and saw the tree I planted three-years ago, back to bed with a cold.

Bullman
04-26-2013, 19:22

Guess we could have done that too, the one that fell is still in a pile out back

HerrGlock
04-26-2013, 19:37
I always wondered why they dedicate a day to a part of a hole saw drill bit.

Weird.

Eric
04-26-2013, 19:47
I always wondered why they dedicate a day to a part of a hole saw drill bit.

Weird.

My Arbor Press thinks your hole saw is a poser. Eric

Zeebra724
04-26-2013, 21:18
I mowed around the ground up tree stump of the 40' widow-maker our landlord cut down last Fall.

HerrGlock
04-27-2013, 07:14
My Arbor Press thinks your hole saw is a poser. Eric

I know, I know. It's a day dedicated to droning pirates!

Arrrrrbore

Dennis in MA
04-27-2013, 07:20

Me too. This year was no different. Small fire. More of a smolder. Native indigenous plant - the tobacco leaf. Assembled by Padron.

jakebrake
04-27-2013, 07:42
i celebrated it by firing up the chainsaw, and making room for a couple more trees....that will never get planted.

you'd rather not know how i celebrated earth day.

Eric
04-27-2013, 08:03
i celebrated it by firing up the chainsaw, and making room for a couple more trees....that will never get planted.

you'd rather not know how i celebrated earth day.

No, I'd rather not know how you celebrate Mother's Day.:supergrin: Eric

jakebrake
04-27-2013, 13:18
No, I'd rather not know how you celebrate Mother's Day.:supergrin: Eric

honestly/ i shower the mother of my child with gifts, and either take her to brunch, or cook the meal of her choosing.

Cali-Glock
04-27-2013, 14:26
Darn!!! Had I remembered I would have cut down a tree and posted it online. Several years ago a group of us cut down approximately 1500 trees on my property, last year, I had professionals come in and cut down and (for the most part) mulch easily ten to twenty times that many trees.

To come up with the 1500+-30,000 numbers that counts all of the 1-2 foot tall trees, but in the number of trees taller than 8 feet has to be in the thousands and the number of trees in the 80-120 foot range in the hundreds.

In the Sierras trees are a weed!! Humans suppress the fires which would otherwise keep the tree populations in check. Without fires, we have to cut down trees on a VERY regular basis.

Cali-Glock
04-27-2013, 14:31
I am not big on the trappings of Christmas... but my wife is... so when I got married my wife wanted to put up an aluminum tree...

Seeing that we live in a log cabin in the woods, I said no way! We went and picked a tree, and I cut it down. My wife commented that she thought it was too tall... I pulled the tree in to our kitchen/dining room bottom first... pretty quickly it became clear she was correct.

We measured the ceiling - 13 feet... we measured the tree - I want to say it was 18 or 19 feet tall.... What the HELL was I thinking? I fired up the chain saw in the kitchen and cut 5 feet off the bottom. :-)