Trying to cancel a debit card... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trying to cancel a debit card...

MrsKitty
04-26-2013, 19:46
We were walking through a parking lot tonight and my husband spotted a debit card. I picked it up with the intention of calling the customer service number on the card. Should be a short, simple process, no?

I have spent over 30 minutes trying every damn customer service number I can find between the one on the card, on the bank's website and numbers other customer service reps have given me plus what I have googled.

Until their offices open tomorrow, I can't do anything. I could report it stolen tonight if I had this lady's SSN and PIN. :upeyes:

WTF?!

Trapped_in_Kali
04-26-2013, 19:48
I'll save my comments on banks and just say mail it to the bank.

Gregg702
04-26-2013, 19:50
Just cut it up, the owner will discover it is missing, cancel it, and order a new one. If I lost my debit or one of my credit cards, that is what I would want the person who found it to do.

MLM
04-26-2013, 19:53
Go ahead and use it for a big purchase. Perhaps the big purchase will flag the cc company on the purchase and cancel the card and send the owner a new one.

HollowHead
04-26-2013, 20:00
Just cut it up, the owner will discover it is missing, cancel it, and order a new one. If I lost my debit or one of my credit cards, that is what I would want the person who found it to do.

I call the 800# on the back. No warm body on the other end...shred it and move on. HH

redbaron007
04-26-2013, 20:00
^^^
THIS!

:wavey:

red

1-2man
04-26-2013, 20:11
I find credit cards & debit cards on the walk in front of my warehouse (lots of foot traffic especially on weekend nights) every so often. I used to call the numbers on the back initially but customer service seemed to never really give a rat's behind. Now I just do the person a favor and run it through my shredder.

(The cash I find I keep. :supergrin: )

MrsKitty
04-26-2013, 20:27

I was just hoping that when they call in to report it that it would be noted on the account that it had been found so they wouldn't have to worry about bogus charges and such.

In the past, I've found checks in parking lots. Both of those were mailed back with a note explaining how I had found them.

GIockGuy24
04-26-2013, 23:16
I can understand them not allowing random strangers cancel other people's debit cards.

Kevinr20
04-27-2013, 08:45
You wouldn't want just any random person who can't verify themselves to your bank to be authorized to cancel your card, would you?

It's an honorable thing to try to do but just shred the card. You're still making sure it doesn't get used fraudulently.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

HerrGlock
04-27-2013, 09:27
I find my ex-wife's credit cards regularly. When I call in to cancel them...

Oh, did I say that out loud? :supergrin:

Just shred the card. The owner will take care of it.

Hawkeye16
04-27-2013, 09:41
I can understand them not allowing random strangers cancel other people's debit cards.

Well, when you put it THAT way... Haha.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Spiffums
04-27-2013, 12:05
UNless it's FS&G......then try to return it to the person........I've been waiting a month for my "new" card. I opened another account else where and got debit card and a credit card in 4 days and my current can't seem to get a card out to me.

MrsKitty
04-27-2013, 12:29
I find my ex-wife's credit cards regularly. When I call in to cancel them...

Oh, did I say that out loud? :supergrin:

Just shred the card. The owner will take care of it.

Yes, sir. :supergrin:

ClydeG19
04-27-2013, 13:08
You did what you could. Toss it in the shredder.

silentpoet
04-27-2013, 13:10
Post the numbers here.

cesaros
04-27-2013, 13:22
There's a reason why banks don't exactly do business with the crazy lady who found a debit card on the ground...

cut it up, that way noone can use it. If fraudulent charges show up...guess who's gonna get blamed :)

ray9898
04-27-2013, 13:46
The bank is put into a position....they can't really cancel a card at the request of a total stranger but at the same time they don't want lost cards floating around. We get lost cards turned into my department all the time. I normally call the 800 number and give them the info. I am sure they try to call the card holder but I don't know if they cancel the card then or of they wait until they speak with the owner.

MrsKitty
04-27-2013, 13:51
The bank is put into a position....they can't really cancel a card at the request of a total stranger but at the same time they don't want lost cards floating around. We get lost cards turned into my department all the time. I normally call the 800 number and give them the info. I am sure they try to call the card holder but I don't know if they cancel the card then or of they wait until they speak with the owner.

That was my ultimate goal: just to keep the lady from worrying about all the what-ifs with the card being missing.

silentpoet
04-27-2013, 13:59
if the bank has a location nearby you can physically turn it in. Or you can search for the owners name online and maybe find some contact info.